Old 27th February 2006, 05:57   #1
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Send a message via AIM to eheiney
Great NIN show ends on sour note

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Music O'Rama, but felt this was a bit better as it is news...
Quote:
Great NIN show ends on sour note

Tuesday, February 21, 2006
By Troy Reimink
The Grand Rapids Press

See what happens when you throw things at the stage?

Nine Inch Nails' show at the DeltaPlex Entertainment and Expo Center ended rather abruptly Monday night after a projectile thrown by someone in the audience struck frontman Trent Reznor in the face.

Reznor was alone on stage, playing the opening strains of "Hurt." The song was approaching its crescendo when the object hit him. Reznor pushed over his keyboard and stormed off stage, not to return. The house lights came on almost immediately.

And who could blame him? You play your guts out for almost two hours -- only to have some clown ruin it. We'll be lucky if NIN ever decides to come back. A show official said Reznor escaped serious injury but got a black eye from the tossed object. The band is scheduled to perform tonight in Toledo, Ohio.

Fortunately, all this happened 21 songs into the show, so it was presumably close to the end anyway, but now we have to speculate about what an encore might have included (I'm guessing "The Hand That Feeds," "Piggy" and "Head Like a Hole").

The end notwithstanding, this was an intense, almost perfectly executed concert. Reznor and company came out roaring with a one-two-three punch of NIN classics: "Mr. Self Destruct," "Sin," "Terrible Lie."

Hearing these songs, it's almost unfathomable how ahead of its time NIN was in the '90s. Can you believe it's been a dozen years since "The Downward Spiral" popularized industrial rock, and that "Pretty Hate Machine" will turn 17 later this year?

Obviously, much of the band's audience exists because of "Closer," whose famously crude lyrics supplied one of the least romantic choruses to ever appear in a top-40 single.

NIN got "Closer" out of the way relatively early, preferring to perform cuts from the overlooked 1999 opus "The Fragile," a few obscurities ("Suck," a song Reznor co-wrote for the industrial band Pigface), and several numbers from the 2005 album "With Teeth."

Backed by a solid, four-piece touring band Reznor, as always, was a compelling, menacing presence on stage, performing new and old songs with equal ferocity. And no, he hasn't gotten any happier over the years.

The older material has aged remarkably well. Maybe that's because so much of what's been on rock radio in the past decade has either been influenced by the NIN aesthetic or has stolen it wholesale.

That aesthetic -- pummeling percussion, searing guitars and keyboards, shout-along choruses and angst aplenty -- made for a thrilling show. Equal credit goes to the visual presentation, a dizzying spectacle of pulsating strobe lights, gloomy atmospherics and not very comforting video footage.

Mid-show, a scrim dropped to cover the stage and, as the band explored some melodic corners of its catalog, a projector showed juxtaposed images of war and creepy domestic serenity.

A projected clip of George W. and Laura Bush dancing at a black-tie event generated a big yell from the near-sellout crowd of about 5,000. Whether it was a cheer or a boo was unclear, but I'm assuming boo. Whatever your opinion of the president, it's worth noting he's provided an impetus for a lot of otherwise introspective artists to turn their intensity out ward.

And Reznor's as introspective as they come. No one will ever accuse him of being a great lyricist, as he leans pretty heavily on nebulous, overwrought rhyming couplets, but it all somehow works as a package. The anger, the noise, the visuals, the catharsis, all melting into a seething stew of rage.

Obviously, I'd like to have seen how the show would've ended, but what we got was outstanding.
Yes, this was the show that I attended. I'm sure you can tell why I'm a bit pissed off about that night. Just to clear up any questions, a lighter was thrown. It hit Mr. Reznor in the face whereupon he looked down, shook his head in, what I'm assuming is, disgust, and walked off the stage feeling angered and very disrepected.

Anyway, I shouldn't complain, as what I witnessed was more than I could have ever hoped for. However, everytime I think of this concert it will always be recalled with it's unfortunate ending.

Anyway, for any NIN fans and anyone else interested, here is the list of songs preformed that night:
  • Pilgrimage (intro)
  • Mr. Self Destruct
  • Sin
  • Terrible Lie
  • The Line Begins to Blur
  • March of the Pigs
  • The Frail
  • The Wretched
  • Closer
  • The Big Come Down
  • Burn
  • Gave Up
  • Eraser
  • Right Where it Belongs
  • Beside You in Time
  • With Teeth
  • Wish
  • Only
  • Every Day is Exactly the Same
  • The Day the World Went Away
  • Even Deeper
  • Suck
  • Hurt (partial)
Certainly worth my $40. And what better way to spend your 20th birthday than at a concert of your favorite band?

Spiral out, my friend. You will find your way back to yourself, we all will.
I'll be waiting, and shall see you on the other side...
eheiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 06:55   #2
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Too many idiots in the world today who hae to run things for everyone else. Makes you wish people would just stand up and knock the shit out of anyone who did stuff like this.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 09:15   #3
Doggy Dog
Canis Sapiens
(Reviewer)

Send a message via ICQ to Doggy Dog
Same happened here once or twice, with an ironic twist.

Some extreme-right morons threw tear gas at an open air concert here in Croatia. Of course, a Serbian singer (and his band) were performing. The guy was really popular in the 80s, and most of the people on the concert were 30-40 year olds. It's known that he didn't support Milosevic's regime and its war efforts. That didn't stop them. However, the people who tried to run away were stopped by the morons from protection agencies who were supposed to keep the concert safe. They even started beating people up. Same almost happened at the concert of another singer (this one even more famous than the other guy, and also known as anti-Milosevic and as a pacifist), but the police (more reliable than the protection agencies in that case :igor) stopped the group of morons who came there with the intention of beating up everyone going to the concert, before they could do anything.

Ironically, most of those morons are known to listen to serbian turbofolk, the lowest form of music on Earth, and whose performers are known to have supported (and to support) Milosevic, to have performed for the serbian troops (who fought (and killed in some cases) the parents those guys). Interesting, isn't it ?

Even more ironically, a concert of a Croatian right-wing singer got teargassed not long after that. He wasn't performing in Serbia, no, he was performing in a town that's known to be predominantly (almost completely) right-wing. No such incidents have occured since. Just those three in a year, nothing before, nothing after that. Ever.
Doggy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 11:47   #4
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I've never understood why anything besides bras and panties and drugs get thrown on stage.
"I've come here to play for you tonight and get beaned by whatever you're able to hurl in my general direction!"
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 12:17   #5
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Maybe someone took the intro to 'Hurt' litterally ...
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 14:40   #6
Doggy Dog
Canis Sapiens
(Reviewer)

Send a message via ICQ to Doggy Dog
Hahaha, yeah, was thinking the same thing when I first read this .

And, in an attempt to claim the "Captain Obvious 2006 Award", I'll just repeat that the Johnny Cash cover is way better than the original.
Doggy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2006, 18:25   #7
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
I've never understood why anything besides bras and panties and drugs get thrown on stage.
You forgot booze. Can't forget the booze.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 09:55   #8
zootm
Forum King

We threw a pack of Jaffa Cakes to (Deftones singer) Chino Moreno. Not at, mind.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2006, 22:22   #9
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Awesome choice.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News