Old 17th July 2008, 22:24   #1
Menschenfleisch

Send a message via ICQ to Menschenfleisch
Sorting of artistnames

The Sorting of Artist names when a "the" is in the title disturbs me.

For Example I have the following bands with

D...
D....
D...
The Duskfall
D...
D...

Thats confusing me..
Is it possible to change this, so that I have "The Duskfall" in Letter T and not D ?
That would be great
Menschenfleisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 23:07   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Nope.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 23:40   #3
Menschenfleisch

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
Nope.
That's shit then ...

Pls add an option to change this then, it really annoys me
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:14   #4
Menschenfleisch

Hi again

I'd like to push the thread up again, because it really annoys me that sorting...

PLS PLS PLS make an option to change this!! PLS!
It annoys me like hell...

and I also can't understand a sense of this strange sorting o.O
Old 26th July 2008, 05:29   #5
texasflood

Actually, I wish I knew about that earlier because I've been using the format of Rolling Stones, The or Beatles, The, etc. so that the artist would be in the proper order alphabetically. I have always found it annoying to have 50 bands starting with "The" clumped together, as it takes longer to find what you're looking for. However, it's your library, and you should have the option to organize it in the way that works best for you.
texasflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 08:48   #6
Menschenfleisch

Quote:
Originally posted by texasflood
However, it's your library, and you should have the option to organize it in the way that works best for you.
right

and I don't want it like this

Why is this not an changable option??
Old 31st July 2008, 10:57   #7
Psych95

This behaviour of Winamp irritates me, too.
I am German. Just as there are a myriad of Bands starting with "the" in english language, we have thousands of Bands starting with "die", which has the same meaning. So, what irritates me is that I have to look for "The Duskfall" under the letter "D", but "Die Toten Hosen", which should be under "T" by that logic, are under "D", too! That makes no sense to me and I would love to be able to switch that off altogether. Somehow, I expect to find "The Answer" under "T" because, after all, everything is sorted alphabetically, is it?
So I really think this should be an optional feature and I would be happy if the devs could consider it.
Psych95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 14:46   #8
texasflood

C'mon guys, I've been waiting for a player to sort artists this way. It just makes logical sense for The Doors to be under "D", The Allman Brothers Band to be under "A", The Who to be under "W", etc. Otherwise, you end up with a huge cluster#*%! under the letter "T", all beginning with The. And since 'The' is a pronoun that is often dropped from the artist's name (ie The Offspring & The Eagles, among others, are often referred to as Offspring & Eagles), this way of ordering actually adheres to the alphebetical logic and helps avoid confussion. However, if you post this in the Wish List section, I'm sure they will consider making an option for ordering according to your preference.
texasflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008, 17:15   #9
Menschenfleisch

Quote:
Originally posted by Psych95
This behaviour of Winamp irritates me, too.
I am German. Just as there are a myriad of Bands starting with "the" in english language, we have thousands of Bands starting with "die", which has the same meaning. So, what irritates me is that I have to look for "The Duskfall" under the letter "D", but "Die Toten Hosen", which should be under "T" by that logic, are under "D", too! That makes no sense to me and I would love to be able to switch that off altogether. Somehow, I expect to find "The Answer" under "T" because, after all, everything is sorted alphabetically, is it?
So I really think this should be an optional feature and I would be happy if the devs could consider it.
100% agree !

I'm German too
Thats the second point I forgot to say
"Die" is @ D but "the" is exclused

100% agree, thats especially no sense

I posted it in wishlist, with the link to this thread
and I hope really that they do something against this shit sorting... (or make it optional option) but not forced

This sorting really annoys like hell for me.........

I also wanted to join www.dawnradio.de and they needed a html playlist by winamp from me, and this has of course this ultra strange sorting now too...

And I have in my ML 17000+ files and dont have any problem with several "the" bands, it would never disturb me to have several "the" bands at T, and why I should have? I look first @ Letter T for "the", then I go farther in the artistname and look for the "the" bands with Letter D, and so on, and thats it
but I have a problem with this "logical" sorting

for me its absolutely not "logical"
Old 2nd August 2008, 16:37   #10
Psych95

Quote:
Originally posted by texasflood
C'mon guys, I've been waiting for a player to sort artists this way. It just makes logical sense for The Doors to be under "D", The Allman Brothers Band to be under "A", The Who to be under "W", etc. Otherwise, you end up with a huge cluster#*%! under the letter "T", all beginning with The. And since 'The' is a pronoun that is often dropped from the artist's name (ie The Offspring & The Eagles, among others, are often referred to as Offspring & Eagles), this way of ordering actually adheres to the alphebetical logic and helps avoid confussion. However, if you post this in the Wish List section, I'm sure they will consider making an option for ordering according to your preference.
That's perfectly fine with me if you're happy with it, but it doesn't feel logical to me at all. It's actually a great source of confusion for me, especially with the inconsistency between languages.
However, I want to stress that I never intended to take anything away from those who are happy with the current state of things. I just think this behaviour should be optional. So, for you there should be no need to worry!
Psych95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion