Old 9th June 2014, 19:51   #1
trahma

What are people using to transcode?

So sc_trans is mostly dead... what are people using now for transcoding? I've thought about rolling my own but I feel like there needs to be a better way.
trahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 20:00   #2
DrO

liquidsoap comes up from a lot of people as a sc_trans alternative.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 22:05   #3
aron9forever

sc_trans still running fine for me
aron9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 22:28   #4
DrO

sure sc_trans will run fine (bar all of the known issues it had) but for anyone trying to use it who wasn't able to get an unlock code for it (or doesn't know how to obtain one now) will not be able to use it for mp3 encoding (which is the main issue that people have since they want to make mp3 encoded streams and not aac streams which AOL had pre-paid to allow for it to be provided for free for encoding - which was not able to be done for mp3 encoding).

so as we [Radionomy / Winamp / SHOUTcast / whoever you want to point the finger at] are not providing sc_trans or the means to get unlock codes for it, for broadcasters like trahma, alternatives need to be looked at for the beta software that was sc_trans (and really anyone relying on unsupported beta software for key broadcasting aspects of their streams are being reckless imho).
Old 9th June 2014, 23:16   #5
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
...(and really anyone relying on unsupported beta software for key broadcasting aspects of their streams are being reckless imho).
Well, that's not ENTIRELY true, as long as you know (like REALLY know) what you're doing and know how to avoid/work-around the known issues.

I would be using sc_trans now if I was still running my old SHOUTcast station.

But, of course, this is just one fella's opinion.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 23:27   #6
DrO

all of which proves the point that sc_trans just wasn't ready for the prime time as the aim had been to simplify it down so it was simple to use and didn't need to be 'really known' to get it to work, but that really isn't how it was and trying to drag it kicking and screaming to the point it needed to be was something that time was never really given to do (look at how it's almost 3 years since the last public update was made of it...).

as it would have been nice if i'd been able to sort out one final build when i had my AOL hat on but there was just too much to do to finish off sc_trans for a final public release (like was able to be done with the DNAS due to the nature of needing to ensure that would keep running irrespective of whatever else may have happened) with the time that i had left.
Old 10th June 2014, 13:17   #7
aron9forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
all of which proves the point that sc_trans just wasn't ready for the prime time as the aim had been to simplify it down so it was simple to use and didn't need to be 'really known' to get it to work, but that really isn't how it was and trying to drag it kicking and screaming to the point it needed to be was something that time was never really given to do (look at how it's almost 3 years since the last public update was made of it...).

as it would have been nice if i'd been able to sort out one final build when i had my AOL hat on but there was just too much to do to finish off sc_trans for a final public release (like was able to be done with the DNAS due to the nature of needing to ensure that would keep running irrespective of whatever else may have happened) with the time that i had left.
while it's true that there are far better options than sc_trans out there, I've always believed in "don't fix something if it's not broken". I've never had any issues, the only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have support for jingles, ads, stuff like that, which lsoap has for example.

but it's too much of a hassle to switch now, maybe later when it will be needed, all things eventually break

I've had a chat with some fella from TechniColor and found out that these licenses aren't really legally required anymore since winamp does no longer exist. They only ask for money if your annual revenue is higher than 100k USD if I recall correctly
I'm still doing shady business with these licenses, but I think it should be fine now to post one that will work for everyone, it's offline after all, don't you agree?
aron9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 13:52   #8
DrO

the big concern is we don't want to do anything that will come back and bite us (financially or legally) and have someone looking into it due to the affect it also has on other products within the group.

ideally sc_trans should be unlocked (like it was before AOL legal got their hands on the product) or a generic unlock code provided and it's left unsupported or it is brought back with either things like they are sans unlock requirement or requiring the manual installation of the troublesome encoder / decoder aspects i.e. having to download a copy of lame_enc.dll or something along that lines.

but for the time being. sc_trans has to be considered as a dead / unsupported product and that there is little which is likely to change on that count any time soon (if at all - which is more likely).
Old 25th June 2014, 21:11   #9
trahma

I appreciate all the responses. I actually have an mp3 license for sc_trans I purchased a while ago so that's not necessarily why I'm considering something else.

I've used libshout in the past to write my own transcoder but it seems like thats not the most ideal way to handle things.
trahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 15:23   #10
Bryon Stout

If you arent using sc_trans you should be using liquid soap.

liquid soap is serious business!. Cant wait to develop our auto DJ with it. AIRtime uses it too among numerous others.

http://savonet.sourceforge.net/users.html
Bryon Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 15:29   #11
DrO

it's just a bitch to setup... so much like sc_trans was
Old 26th June 2014, 15:41   #12
Bryon Stout

yea nothing shoutcast related is easy. lol
Bryon Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 16:37   #13
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
I am of the belief that if you DrO had been allowed to continue development there wouldn't have been problems with sc_serv/sc_trans. Just needed time. I was liking the idea of integrating the config_builder directly into it. I thought that would have made things a bit easier for folks.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions