Old 1st July 2014, 14:11   #1
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Raspberry Pi

So we've finally got round to doing something with our Raspberry PI we put shoutcast 2 on it. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware with in using a Raspberry PI as a shoutcast streaming box?

What's the stability like? I've just sacked icecast off because it wasn't stable enough for my liking.

The servers have been up over 3 days so far.....

Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2010

Online: Twitter - Blog - RadioDJ
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 13:28   #2
DrO

as the Pi version can't go too high on listener numbers to get into the unknown high listener number crash zone (going over ~330) that is a known v2.x issue, it's likely to be about as stable as anything will be. though i had 500-600 test curl connections hitting it when i was working on the build and never had it fail (but ymmv).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:18   #3
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
as the Pi version can't go too high on listener numbers to get into the unknown high listener number crash zone (going over ~330) that is a known v2.x issue, it's likely to be about as stable as anything will be. though i had 500-600 test curl connections hitting it when i was working on the build and never had it fail (but ymmv).
I never really get those sort of listener figures anyway. It seems to be stable enough so far anyway.

Old 2nd July 2014, 15:21   #4
DrO

then you should be fine and good to see someone making use off that build as i only did it to see if the v2.x DNAS could work as an ARM compile without too much effort to get it to build and run and then to try to improve performance on restricted resource setups (as the Pi has).
Old 2nd July 2014, 18:52   #5
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Quote:
then you should be fine and good to see someone making use off that build as i only did it to see if the v2.x DNAS could work as an ARM compile without too much effort to get it to build and run and then to try to improve performance on restricted resource setups (as the Pi has).
It's working OK but i feel we've missed something somewhere during setup getting a bad password error in the log files yet the encoders are quite happily connected..

Is it OK to copy the sc_serv.conf file over from the Linux box install would it still work? I'm hoping that will solve the bad PW errors.

Old 2nd July 2014, 19:35   #6
DrO

what's the actual error message you're seeing?

it should be fine to copy over (as long as paths are ok), but i'd first check it's not due something else i.e. someone trying to connect to the DNAS who shouldn't be (which i wouldn't be surprised is the case based on a number of the broadcast community not liking your views on things ). as you'd know pretty soon if passwords weren't correct under normal conditions.
Old 2nd July 2014, 20:08   #7
voodoohippie

Send a message via Yahoo to voodoohippie
I had someone hack into our stations Broadcast source at 5AM (when they thought no one would be monitoring. Thing is I monitor my station 24/7) and began playing Rap and Top 40 (which The Legacy is dead set against) and I called the server admin immediately and had their ip traced and I'm still pressing for prosecution from the full extent of the law for doing so. This can take time and you have to get the right folks on your side (which we do) and your station would have to be trying to profit from streaming ads to sue for damages due to loss wages. If your a hobby station playing no ads you have a snowball's chance in hell for a good law suit.

the only way to prevent this sort of attac is to use letters, numbers, and other characters in your passwords and maybe change them on a weekly basis to avoid such hack attacks. There will be a lot more hack attacks during the summer when teens have off school and more time to sit in front of their computers with a special seat for the nature calls so they can sit for 52 hours at a time hacking.

Best of luck hope this helps.

Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com
voodoohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 20:32   #8
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoohippie View Post
I had someone hack into our stations Broadcast source at 5AM (when they thought no one would be monitoring. Thing is I monitor my station 24/7) and began playing Rap and Top 40 (which The Legacy is dead set against) and I called the server admin immediately and had their ip traced and I'm still pressing for prosecution from the full extent of the law for doing so. This can take time and you have to get the right folks on your side (which we do) and your station would have to be trying to profit from streaming ads to sue for damages due to loss wages. If your a hobby station playing no ads you have a snowball's chance in hell for a good law suit.

the only way to prevent this sort of attac is to use letters, numbers, and other characters in your passwords and maybe change them on a weekly basis to avoid such hack attacks. There will be a lot more hack attacks during the summer when teens have off school and more time to sit in front of their computers with a special seat for the nature calls so they can sit for 52 hours at a time hacking.

Best of luck hope this helps.
How is this relevant to my question about running a SC server on Raspberry PI? I'm not worried about anyone hacking us.

Quote:
what's the actual error message you're seeing?
It was something to do with a bad password but I've just looked in the logs and it seems to have magically gone away it did the same thing to me on the Linux install!

Now I'm confused!

Anyways it seems to be working so that's all there needs to be said.

Will let you know DrO if i have any further issues with it.

Old 2nd July 2014, 20:36   #9
DrO

hopefully you should still have the logs from the last few days (since the DNAS will auto-rotate them and keep them going back a few days) to have a look in (unless you've removed them / changed how far things are kept for). if not, then the key thing is to know the complete error message to determine what type it is.

as i've known some setups have such a thing happen due to not updating any external scripts to the DNAS and it caused seemingly dodgy source connections to happen.
Old 7th July 2014, 11:16   #10
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Well that was hort and not so sweet. our Raspberry PI appears to be having issues. Woke up yesterday to find the thing had crashed even after trying a re-install of the OS it's still not working so It's back to SC1 for the time being until we can fathom out what'shappening with the PI.

Old 7th July 2014, 11:18   #11
DrO

not working in what way? the DNAS or the RPi?
Old 7th July 2014, 11:58   #12
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Quote:
not working in what way? the DNAS or the RPi?
The PI had somehow crashed taking the SC servers with it. Then wouldn't reboot.

We even went as far as buying a new SD card for the PI hoping that would sort the issues out.

Now the OS for the PI doesn't seem to want to install properly. My other half is pretty knowledgeable about Linux and even he's stumped....

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions