Old 22nd May 2003, 07:58   #81
Phaze1987
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Phaze1987 Send a message via AIM to Phaze1987 Send a message via Yahoo to Phaze1987
16 exams ? uh...Thats a lot! Good luck!
Question - if we will have a new website with forums too,what will happen to this forum ?
Phaze1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2003, 08:14   #82
sidd
Major Dude

They shalt remaineth!
n00bs love it here.
sidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2003, 10:45   #83
anubis2003
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to anubis2003
Of course this site will remain - this is where everyone comes.
anubis2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2003, 11:01   #84
Magic.X
Major Dude

WE NEED MORE CONTENT!

-=[The Ultimate VJ-Tool for AVS]=-

Hotlist 2.3 developement thread (old)
Magic.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2003, 01:17   #85
Raz
Forum King

Just so you know ben working on forums for our site, we'll have a fully functional forum along with a knowledge base.

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2003, 10:57   #86
Magic.X
Major Dude

Just an idea, how'bout having multiple languages to choose? At least French, Spanish and German could be added. I'm sure that IF we once have enuff content there are some Volunteers that would translate it into their first language.

Old 12th June 2003, 01:47   #87
UnConeD
Whacked Moderator

Magic.X: Never trust regular users to produce remotely accurate translations. They will commonly:
- Use different translations for english computer-words than the 'common standard' (e.g. your OS)
- Contain hints of dialect and grammar errors.
- Never be updated because the person who did it just felt bored those 5 minutes and isn't interested anymore.
- Get forked as people disagree over what words to use (just search for 'francais, français, french' or 'italian, italiano' on this site and count the results).

Call me a pessimist, but I have yet to see a fan-produced Dutch translation/language pack that doesn't suck...

UnConeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2003, 13:09   #88
Magic.X
Major Dude

On the other hand, Dutch is a minor Language so there's only little chance someone will do...

Old 20th June 2003, 21:35   #89
Yathosho
Forum King

minor language, eh? i think dutch is spoken in more countries than you probably imagine (think of the many former colonies).

anyway, before talking of translating content (and i agree with unconed on this idea) you better produce content first. i don't see anything happen on this issue.

my personal opinion is, that raz should give the people user-accounts, so they can upload their content at will. this will motivate people to start and motivate others to follow. waiting will change nothing (or at least not much).
Yathosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2003, 22:26   #90
anubis2003
Forum King

I agree killahbite. User accounts would definitely be good to have.
Old 20th June 2003, 22:42   #91
Raz
Forum King

Have done, i have a forum similar to this one that requires signing up.

Old 20th June 2003, 22:46   #92
anubis2003
Forum King

Not just forums though. Actually used on the website. We don't need another forums. The user account part would just be so that people can upload their tutorials and presets(?).
Old 20th June 2003, 22:52   #93
Raz
Forum King

Yeah it would work in the same way, i'll just have to organise it just for the AVS part though. Not a problem, i'll get to it.

Old 24th June 2003, 17:40   #94

look, isn't this website (at least the AVS part) just going to be a glorified FAQ with some downloads? That was the impression i got from the original post.

Why is anyone even bothering talking about translations into other languages or user accounts with automated file uploads into computer generated databases? Why is there a forum? There isn't even any content yet. In fact, there isn't even a webpage online yet. It's all just vapor. With all the time some of you guys have spent dreaming about the ubersite that will make all other forms of entertainment obsolete, you could have a simple HTML page that details most of the concepts of avs for newbs (UnConeD has practically written everything already... you just have to search) and includes a few essential downloads and links. Every month or so the admin could take the bits of new material he'd recieved and slap it into the appropriate section. After you've got something simple like that, if you think it's necissary, you can worry about beginning to add user accounts and graphics and crap like that and integrate it with the stuff raz has.

Perhaps I went a little overboard in my rant, but just do something and put some content or something somewhere. It seems like Raz is waiting for all the perfect content to be available and Those Who Write Content are waiting for Raz to put his perfect site up.

Here, I made just a very crude beginning of an idea for content in a poorly programmed webpage, if you could call it programming. It definately didn't take any more than half an hour. I also used a lot of UnConeD's stuff without asking. It (the webpage) is clearly not very much, but it's more than anyone else has produced in the way of content. If anyone has any suggestions about the site's organization I'd be glad to hear them. Even better, actual articles. Once I have more time I can put some slightly less basic HTML in (actual links and organized content) but this page will either be integrated with raz's design or will be forgotten so I won't spruce it up very much.

UnConeD: I hope you'll agree to let your stuff to be used in my crummy thing and any future renditions. You would/will always be cited clearly and I'd remove it any time if you said so.

I'm probably just making a big a** out of myself. I am kinda sleepy...
13373571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2003, 18:00   #95
Raz
Forum King

I have a domain name and a finished design, how many times do you need telling. Give me your finished articles and i'll make a page for them, it'll take me all of about 5 seconds to do this.

Old 24th June 2003, 18:49   #96

I was aware that you had a domain name and pretty bits that would go around the words and a forum. I didn't know you had a design for the organization of the content but apparently you do. anyways, one of my main points was that you can use what we already have for now: the explanations that UnConeD has written, El-Vis's 3d scope engine and explanation, other explanations like in the Tips and Tricks post, Atero's primer, common APEs, and things that I can't think of right now. All you need is to ask permission of the authors and then HTMLize the text. It isn't like you need a re-write of everything that's already been explained: you just need it organized on a web page for newbs to look at. My beef was that you were busy programming forums and setting up foreign language lessons when you practically have all you need, especially if you have everything but the articles/files worked out. Maybe I didn't express myself very clearly.
Old 24th June 2003, 20:06   #97
Raz
Forum King

Wow it sure is hard to transport text into html.

I. Have. A. Page. Design. All. I. Have. To. Do. Is. Paste. The. Text. In. Send me the finished article via pm or e-mail (Raz_001@hotmail.com) and i'll make the page, i aint getting it all sorted contacting people abd writing things and searching out things, i'm busy and to be quite honest can't be arsed. I'll gladly host it all and make the site and keep it running and all that, just get the articles to me.

Old 24th June 2003, 20:14   #98
mikm
Major Dude

El-vis's engine is not the greatest. We use other, faster ones. Plus, this can cover in detail many complex things in AVS, such as raytracing, advanced 3D etc...so people can UNDERSTAND it. This is MUCH more complex then you think it is OK, so if you have a problem with it, just leave and stop bitching about things you don't know about.

HTMLize the text? then it would look INCREDIBLY shitty...this has to look NICE and PROFESSIONAL.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2003, 20:51   #99
Yathosho
Forum King

unregarding how often you repeat yourself. the fastest way will be to make user-accounts and let people upload their content at will.. i described the motivation thing before, i don't want to repeat myself either. actually, i thought you even agreed on that.
Old 25th June 2003, 01:06   #100

Quote:
can cover in detail many complex things in AVS, such as raytracing, advanced 3D etc...so people can UNDERSTAND it. This is MUCH more complex then you think it is OK, so if you have a problem with it, just leave and stop bitching about things you don't know about.
this isn't good enough for now?

cut the first six words of UnConeD out. There you go, article. I understood it and I'm just a dumb kid. It covers everything in reasonable detail if you already understand 3d scopes which you should if you're going to tackle ray tracing.

edit: also, el-vis's engine is mentioned in almost all of the threads that I know of that involve explaining 3d scopes. It's just something for newbs to plug numbers into when they first get interested in 3d scopes. but if it isn't perfect enough then don't use it, whatever. It was just a suggestion.
Old 25th June 2003, 01:11   #101
anubis2003
Forum King

Yes, but it could be made even better. I am still in the process of making a huge SSC-tutorial starting from the very basics. I have finished discussing all of the built-in variables in great detail and have done some of the common user-created variables. Once I get through with the variables and functions I will post what I have done so far.
Old 25th June 2003, 01:29   #102

yes, that sounds fantastic, good job, but until every little bit is made better, what is the problem with using what we have?

that's why my link says "this isn't good enough for now?" until someone makes a better ray tracing section. that's been my whole point.
Old 25th June 2003, 03:57   #103
legohead

Raz - its taken.. oh how long? And no-one wants to give you any content...

Who gives a crap about lang packs and other crap guys. You want a solution to stop noob questions in your precious forum - then stop whinging - and start writing!

Otherwise I dont' want to hear a peep about áwww'stupid noob..seach the forum... wwaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.....wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... mommy... waaaaaaaaaahhhh...''....
legohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2003, 06:08   #104

OK, here are five promising articles from other people. I don't have any author permission whatsoever yet, but i'm asking. Coding for dummies especially has a TON of info, but I think it might be better if it were split into multiple articles and was edited to be a little more professional and article-like. Anyways I'll talk to Nic01 about it. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes of editing to make it polished enough. Gradients by tugg could be renamed something like "how to create basic background gradients" because just calling it gradients seems too vague or something.

Anyways, etc. The authors should give input on what they might want to change to turn it into an article, not me. Hopefully nobody has any problems with re using their stuff and the final versions could be given to Raz in a few days.

There's still a heck of a lot of stuff on this forum that could be helpful, but I'll get to that later. I'm tired.

Does anyone have any comments on any of this?
Attached Files
File Type: zip articles.zip (14.0 KB, 109 views)
Old 25th June 2003, 08:11   #105
Jaheckelsafar
Major Dude

Man, I forgot I wrote that. Fixed a math error and some spelling (there may still be some, I don't know). I also included the developer preset the explanation was dericed from, and the finished one. It's pretty much more of the same with some optimizations and a rotation matrix.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dm example.zip (2.3 KB, 108 views)

Stoke me a clipper. I'll be back for Christmas.

- Arnold Rimmer
Red Dwarf
Jaheckelsafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2003, 15:59   #106
Yathosho
Forum King

btw, most likely DeviantArt v3 (DAv3) will have its own section for AVS tutorials. this of course is completely independent from that pure avs website. then again people here should consider submitting their stuff to DAv3 aswell, since this might attract other people (deviants) to learn AVS, due to the larger user-base.
Old 25th June 2003, 20:28   #107

more

here is a Shereyas article...
there's also an edited version, because some of the grammar was bad and some of the writing didn't make sense out of context. I also put the code into a SSC, but I don't know if that's necissary... some newbs might not understand how to increase line size to make scope solid. Again, I don't have permission yet.

And yeah, someone needs to come up with a shorter name for the article.
Attached Files
File Type: zip shereyas.zip (3.9 KB, 101 views)
Old 25th June 2003, 20:39   #108
anubis2003
Forum King

Since it will probably be a while before I finish my stuff I'll go ahead and post what I got so far and see what you all think. I may add pictures of the stuff, but I'll have to figure that out later.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 01 variables.zip (4.5 KB, 110 views)
Old 26th June 2003, 00:50   #109

arrgh i wrote a fairly big thing and it went kaboom.

any ways, anubis: very nice. Now criticism:

the variable i should be written differently. perhaps put it in parentheses so you can tell the difference between:

one time (i) went to the market.
one time I went to the market.

it's just a little confusing the way you have it, it distracts from reading the article.

Also, use spell check. It's worth it.

finally, your definition of r is wrong. r is the measure of the angle counter clockwise from the positive x axis to an imaginary ray that starts at the origin and intersects the point. The positive x axis is a ray that starts at the origin and points to the right. I know that you know what r is, but your description wasn't precise and could have many meanings.

r is commonly referred to as theta. You should mention that because if the reader has used theta in math class then he'll get what you're saying. The angle that you described would probably be referred to as alpha.

You need to use pictures to describe polar coords, otherwise stupid newbs won't understand.
Old 26th June 2003, 01:07   #110
anubis2003
Forum King

Thanks for giving me a good way of describing r. I was having trouble coming up with a way of putting it in words(a problem I often have). Like I said - I haven't finished(as you can probably tell by it ending mid-sentence ), so I haven't gone back to check everything again(spelling, coherence, ability to properly explain everything, etc.). I am open to any and all criticisms so that, hopefully, more people will understand AVS better and will be able to make some fresher presets(I'm going to die if I see another preset with just firewurx and a roto blitter) And I know pictures will help - I just don't want to take the time to make them.

Also, once I finish discussing all of the different functions, I am going to go into more advanced topics(except for things like ray-tracing which I am not terrific at, and which already have excellent tutorials being written for them).
Old 26th June 2003, 01:52   #111

Quote:
And I know pictures will help - I just don't want to take the time to make them.
I hope text pictures are ok:

code:

* |
\ |
\ |
\ |
\|
<---------#---------->
|
| \ = distance
| * = point
| # = origin
| ---> = positive x axis
| <--- = negative x axis

y axis

explanation:

d = length of \

r = the angle, going counter clockwise, from the positive x axis to the distance. in this example, r is approximately two radians or approximately 120 degrees. (120 degrees does not equal 2 radians, it equals 2.094395102 radians, so it's very close.)

just put that into your article with a font that doesn't screw it up.

by the way raz, UnConeD has given permission to use his stuff, so you can now put up his articles.

Last edited by 13373571; 26th June 2003 at 02:55.
Old 26th June 2003, 02:00   #112
anubis2003
Forum King

I'm not going to use text pictures. I'm going to make some real pictures(well MSPaint pictures anyways ). If I don't get around to making pictures than I'll use that, but I fear that I will have to make pictures as time goes on and I get to more complicated stuff.
Old 26th June 2003, 04:01   #113

ok, here's UCD's ray tracing stuff. When he gave permission he said clearly note changes but... well, they're such puny changes, just getting rid of stuff that didn't make sense out of the context of the thread... I also stuck three posts together to make one article, but whatever, it works.

UnConeD's explanation probably is a little too brief, or at least it's not how I would've done it... I might make my own raytracing article since a lot of people don't get UnConeD's.
Attached Files
File Type: zip raytrace.zip (54.3 KB, 105 views)
Old 26th June 2003, 05:45   #114
sidd
Major Dude

Im doing a more in depth explaination of some of the more confusing parts of 'AVS script'. Mainly maths stuff like acos, and i spose ill do getspecs and stuff as well..

Is plain text ok?
sidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2003, 09:36   #115
Raz
Forum King

I'll make pictures, just give me the right text stuff, i'll get on the pages soon, i'm just not at home right now do i'll do what i have to do later. Nice one guys, some progress

Old 26th June 2003, 09:46   #116

Quote:
Is plain text ok?
yes.
Old 26th June 2003, 11:38   #117
anubis2003
Forum King

Plain text is fine - if we want to make it "look nicer", than we could just get someone to easily HTML-alize your text.
Old 26th June 2003, 12:06   #118
Raz
Forum King

*cough*

Old 26th June 2003, 12:16   #119

*burp*

Raz, you need a longer name or something, nobody notices you...
Old 26th June 2003, 13:34   #120
Raz
Forum King

Will this work?

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > AVS