Old 24th June 2014, 15:30   #1
Bryon Stout

New shoutcast.com homepage

Did you guys see the new shoutcast.com yet?
Bryon Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 15:38   #2
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon Stout View Post
Did you guys see the new shoutcast.com yet?
It's very Blue!!

Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2010

Online: Twitter - Blog - RadioDJ
DJ-Garybaldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 16:11   #3
voodoohippie

Send a message via Yahoo to voodoohippie
I like the new site. Makes it easier to find stations of your favorite Genre. I'd just have to change from Progressive Rock to Prog Rock if I go back to Shoutcast. It means Radionomy is up to something on the right path possibly.

Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com
voodoohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 18:16   #4
marvette

Great site, but not cross-browser! How did that happen?
No sound in IE11.
Great design though...
marvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 19:38   #5
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Quote:
Great site, but not cross-browser! How did that happen?
No sound in IE11.
Great design though...
Somebody else pointed out on the radiodj forum that they were having problems with IE11 & the new Shoutcast website.

Best advice I can give switch to a better browser like Firefox. Internet exploiter never has been that great as a browser.

Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2010

Online: Twitter - Blog - RadioDJ
DJ-Garybaldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 20:13   #6
DrO

every site has teething issues and we already know about the IE issue (along with a few other small issues) so things will be looked into and fixed as soon as possible (which should be a lot quicker than what wasn't done on a prior site from 2009).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 21:49   #7
djgato

How do I embed radio player on my website?
djgato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 21:53   #8
DrO

you use one of the many players like jplayer which are already available. as is explained in http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=378341 (along with why one is not present like the old AOL site provided).
Old 24th June 2014, 23:37   #9
ChiggyChiggy

Search doesnt work when i access it from within Winamp's online services thingy, it just makes whatever i search vanish and does nothing, but if i search it in Firefox it works just fine.

Then theres this little conundrum

Works fine on mp3 stuff tho.

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
*If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 23:44   #10
DrO

the site isn't really designed to work inside of Winamp (most of it generally works but it's not a Winamp-specific solution so there will be issues). as it's not been decided on what will be done for the old in-Winamp integrated view (which wasn't all that visually integrated) since it could be another server-side page or it could go back to being a native plug-in or some sort of hybrid of the two.

the site player doesn't support AAC streams (which is why the play button should be disabled for such streams) since that's the nature of things (if we were providing the AAC data in an MP4 container then it should work, but as SHOUTcast uses ADTS-AAC, then the HTML5/Flash players don't like it and so won't play it).

[edit]
so the lack of AAC streams playing is something the old site player exhibited and it is possible to work around it but even if jplayer is updated to support it (via the flash fallback method), the onus is really on the broadcasters to update to the v2.2.x DNAS (or whatever is current at the time) since it's the native socket policy server in the v2.2.x DNAS which would allow a jplayer+flash solution to get the data and if needed re-format it as required to be playable. alternatively the DNAS could (or rather should) be updated itself to support providing M4A compatible versions of AAC streams.
Old 24th June 2014, 23:59   #11
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
the site isn't really designed to work inside of Winamp (most of it generally works but it's not a Winamp-specific solution so there will be issues). as it's not been decided on what will be done for the old in-Winamp integrated view (which wasn't all that visually integrated) since it could be another server-side page or it could go back to being a native plug-in or some sort of hybrid of the two..
I didnt realise until now that the new site works without having to open it in Winamp, click and play.... f yeah! Its so much easier now lol, just like a normal music streaming site guess theres no need to try it in Winamp's online service thingy.

The old AOL shoutcast only worked if you opened the playlist file in Winamp, right? Thats how i remember it being before

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
Old 25th June 2014, 00:02   #12
DrO

the old site had a player as well which could either be a popup window or a bar on the bottom or you could disable it and have it try to load in whatever player was associated with pls. though the old site player was crap at best and i'm so glad to see it finally killed off.

the new site has the player always in the header section and you can easily decide if you want to use that (if it's an MP3 stream) or just load the playlists provided into whatever player (as the old site never made it easy to expose them seeing as i'd added M3U support to the YP in 2012! - which is what Windows Media Player needs).
Old 25th June 2014, 00:06   #13
ChiggyChiggy

This is all great news! Congrats on the great work DrO You and everyone else thats worked on the new SHOUTcast! Freaking epic!

There will be an option to change colors right? I miss the orange and black look, it was sleek >.>

Old 25th June 2014, 00:12   #14
DrO

i barely did anything on the site other than trying to get some of the commonly requested things from the old site implemented (continuous scrolling for example and the playlist drop-down) and tying not to break the API to allow some of the advanced search options to work. it's the silent dev team who deserve the thanks (which will be passed on).

no idea about changing the colouring, as blue is the radionomy colours. though forum posts, site feedback and other social media is being monitored so such requests will be logged but is really no guarantee it'll happen (and i thought the same to start with but the blue has grown on me).
Old 25th June 2014, 00:13   #15
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
the old site had a player as well which could either be a popup window or a bar on the bottom or you could disable it and have it try to load in whatever player was associated with pls. though the old site player was crap at best and i'm so glad to see it finally killed off.
I remember the old site looking like this http://web.archive.org/web/200903140...shoutcast.com/ if you click on tunein it pretty much only gave you playlists to open with Winamp. I guess the embedded player was added much later in its life or something

Old 25th June 2014, 00:14   #16
DrO

oh, the old old site... yeah that just did playlist links. i was referring to the 'old' site so that would be the one which replaced that one later in 2009 and was 'beta' until the sale happened.
Old 25th June 2014, 00:15   #17
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
i barely did anything on the site other than trying to get some of the commonly requested things from the old site implemented (continuous scrolling for example and the playlist drop-down) and tying not to break the API to allow some of the advanced search options to work. it's the silent dev team who deserve the thanks (which will be passed on).
Clicking "next" to see more is pretty annoying, your contribution still matters :P *round of applause*

Quote:
no idea about changing the colouring, as blue is the radionomy colours. though forum posts, site feedback and other social media is being monitored so such requests will be logged but is really no guarantee it'll happen (and i thought the same to start with but the blue has grown on me).
Wait, does this mean Radionomy will merge their existing radio service into SHOUTcast? Or will they have two rivaling services under one banner? o.O

Old 25th June 2014, 00:21   #18
DrO

there are already most of the Radionomy listings in the SHOUTcast Directory results (am surprised no one has noticed the noticeable jump in the number of listed stations over the last few weeks).

and there's more than enough room to keep both sites and services running as they target different usage cases (primarily on how content is discovered). so there's no need to worry about seeing SHOUTcast go away if that's what you're trying to get at.
Old 25th June 2014, 00:26   #19
ChiggyChiggy

Who does Radionomy's Radionomy site mainly cater to then? o:

Wait lemme guess, SHOUTcast is more of a user generated one while Radionomy is more like TuneIn and official radio stations use it?

Old 25th June 2014, 00:33   #20
DrO

it's more how you access things which is the difference and that the Radionomy site is primarily listing stations which are hosted on the Radionomy platform (and so leverage the broadcasting platform and ad revenue sharing they offer which makes it easier for smaller stations to hopefully keep going), whereas the SHOUTcast platform is from all over the place (as long as things are run on a DNAS or compatible broadcasting software like Icecast).

as both are about user-generated content at their core (along with some bigger stations). so the two complement each other but also stand out on their own as well. hence why it makes sense for the two to keep going especially with all of the work that both have done to establish their brand and user base and because despite a lot of overlap, they are providing different features (more so for the broadcaster than the listener like yourself).
Old 25th June 2014, 01:02   #21
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

New version.. new colors.. just in time to give me MORE work!

Click image for larger version

Name:	colortheme 54 Shoutcast SS 02.png
Views:	133
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	51242
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 01:27   #22
DrO

it had been hinted that the colouring was going to be changing...
Old 25th June 2014, 04:44   #23
uktony

Will Stats return?
uktony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 07:44   #24
Cody2

Hello!

I like the work that Radionomy do for Winamp and Shoutcast. But in contrast, i dont like the Shoutcast layout. Not the new blue, not the former grey and not the old black one.

Why?

I use Shoutcast NOT in a Smartphone and NOT in a Desktop Browser. I'm using Shoutcast in the Winamp Plugin. And here is the major problem: The Layout is tooooo much big for a small UI like Winamp is. Since Shoutcast is responsive HTML5, i must blow up Winamp to a de-facto fullscreen on a FullHD-screen. I think this is a terrible dissipation of space.

Please remember that Winamp is a "small Gadget UI". Its main window has only 350 pixels in width. So my suggestion is: Build a second web frontend which contents does best fit to a 350x350 pixels viewport. This second one's URL can be used in the Winamp's Shoutcast plugin. The first one (the new blue responsive design) is the best choose for desktop browsers and tablets.

Is it possible to make a second frontend for the Winamp Plugin with reduced space layout?

Greetings
Cody
Cody2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 08:43   #25
DrO

Cody2: the first paragraph of my earlier reply in this thread (http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=10) explains its known and expected that the new site doesn't work well if embedded inside of Winamp.

uktony: are you referring to the ttsl stats or something else? if its the ttsl pages then I don't believe there is any intention to return them (they were a hack and open to abuse and as only 3 people have actually commented on the lack of them post sale, there isn't a visible demand for them). also the better option would be to have something more station specific if stats were to be provided as an option at a later time.
Old 25th June 2014, 09:29   #26
uktony

I used to like the TTSL stats. Useful independent figures.

#4465 11,709.25 69,628 7,808 Apple-FM: Apple-FM
uktony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 09:31   #27
DrO

which was played by the stations which intentionally fake their stats to get up the listings and is one of the numerous reasons for it being killed off along with the information it was logging not being helpful for reporting requirements and it limited the timescale of YP updates which needed to be decreased to improve system responsiveness. really for any stats, stations need to be tracking things correctly and the ttsl report did not do any of that and i'm glad to see if finally gone.
Old 27th June 2014, 18:55   #28
voodoohippie

Send a message via Yahoo to voodoohippie
Dr. O that was the smartest thing you guys have done is eliminate the TSL reports. It allows for a more fair exposure of stations on Shoutcast. I think New stations should also be featured in the side there should be a place to click for New Stations. Sometimes people want to hear those amateur stations first starting out cuz they play free form music (requested artists) and really need a chance to grow as well. It brakes up the monotony of hum drum Radio and makes Internet Radio special.

Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com
voodoohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 12:09   #29
DrO

if it's smart thing to do is a different matter since the reality is that is was just something that was never migrated over when we shifted from AOL to Radionomy hosting and with only 5 people having asked about it being brought back, it just doesn't seem people are too bothered about it (and with my early points, if it was to be kept it would have had to have been changed anyway). so it's more that it saved us a lot of hassle when migrating and apathy from broadcasters that it seems 'smart' to drop it
Old 30th June 2014, 12:32   #30
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

DrO you better begin to conciliate with compliments, if things go well, Radionomy / devs are going to get a lot of that
Old 30th June 2014, 23:23   #31
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
it had been hinted that the colouring was going to be changing...
Implementing ..... done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shoutcast2.0.png
Views:	116
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	51249
Old 30th June 2014, 23:29   #32
DrO

we'd better change the colouring again...
Old 1st July 2014, 00:26   #33
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

-_- Yeh... I see you're going to black now...

I wish there was a way to override IE´s scrollbars for the skinned ones..
Old 1st July 2014, 00:31   #34
DrO

what you've got for the scrollbars is about as much as can be done without doing dark things i believe i.e. it's really not a good idea to even attempt to go down that route (assuming it's possible anyway without violating a lot of things).
Old 1st July 2014, 00:51   #35
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

I guessed that would be the case.. maybe a native version of SC would adress that? Along with some sort of "color theme" integration?
Old 1st July 2014, 01:00   #36
DrO

a native implementation would be able to do like the other ml views e.g. local library is able to do.

colour themeing of web pages is already possible (and was what some of the prior SC implementations did but there are compromises to using that vs methods needed for the integration of the page and Winamp's interaction with the page and how colour themeing fits into it all i.e. it's a bit of a mess and is why most of the online pages from the last few years weren't themed with the rest of the Winamp skin (which we all know is not ideal but different client JSAPI implementations didn't help with that issue).
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions