Old 30th July 2002, 08:09   #1
DGhost

Parhelia/Milkdrop issues...

was playing with milkdrop and a Parhelia, when i noticed a couple problems with it. i was curious if these problems were on the Matrox side of things or what...

first thing i noticed is that when Gigacolor desktop mode is enabled, the desktop overlay function breaks. when using hardware blit, unless YUY2 overlay support is enabled, the desktop is just pure green. i figure this to be a limitation with the card. the problem i see is that when YUY2 overlay support is enabled, nothing shows up on the desktop. get a nice black screen.

second thing i noticed was that despite the card having support for two hardware overlays in multi monitor modes, milkdrop still only activates an overlay on the first monitor.

the third thing, and perhaps the most startling thing that i found was that when i had both monitors running @ 1280x1024x32bit (gigacolor) and tried to put milkdrop full screen on the second monitor (at 1280x1024x32bit) i got a message about how it didn't have enough memory and had to set texture size down to 256x256. setting it to operate at 1024x768 allowed it to run at 512x512 textures. unless my math is rusty, there is no way in hell that 2x 1280x1024x32bit desktops can eat up 128mb of ram, or at least enough that would cause it to drop texture sizes so drastically. i remember being able to run it w/o problems on the second monitor of a Radeon 8500 64mb, so i am really kinda curious what was going on...

i attached a copy of the m_debug file for the overlay mode one... after i reboot and re-enable dualhead, i will attach one for the second monitor thing...
Attached Files
File Type: txt m_debug.txt (40.9 KB, 192 views)
DGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2002, 08:22   #2
DGhost

and the m_debug output when running off of display2...
Attached Files
File Type: txt m_debug_display2.txt (14.3 KB, 245 views)
Old 30th July 2002, 08:24   #3
DGhost

and the same settings, but running off of display1 (where it does work right)
Attached Files
File Type: txt m_debug_display1.txt (12.0 KB, 208 views)
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Troubleshooting Forum