Old 20th July 2000, 11:59   #1
Dai Fae Po

seriously! i am going to have to agree with what seems to be EVERYBODY on this issue. these "reviewers" seem like they are bum drunks from off the streets....i am seeing more and more complaints about these guys and now i actually have something to complain about. MY SKIN. ok. so maybe it IS a 3 star skin, but really there are rip off skins that aren't as good as mine that are gettin 6 out of 5 possible stars....c'mon reviewers!! get some training or acquire some taste....and please for the love of GOD write us skinners some Helpful comments instead of writing about some Plinesian guy you met and Tigger and Whiney the Pooh (this was the comment on my skin). these comments are just plain annoying and unhelpful. that's my 2 cents. and here is my skin, a cool tiger skin.....and it's not a rip!
http://www.winamp.com/customize/deta...ponentId=23814

------------------
i am dying of a not so rare disease:schooliosis
Dai Fae Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2000, 17:48   #2
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

I coulda sworn I left my dead horse around here somewhere...

Dai Fae Po, give it back.

This "Reviewers Suck Ass" topic has been discussed ad nauseum, and as long as people are allowed to form their own opinions, the problem will never go away. EVER.

------------------
http://iomegajaz.cjb.net
iomega_jaz@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by iomegajaz (edited July 20, 2000).]
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2000, 18:08   #3
Konfuz0r

Ain't your topic bitch.
Konfuz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2000, 03:54   #4
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

I really think I don't like you. Be gone annoying person.

On a completely unrelated topic, I think I'm going to try to only post messages here when I'm in a less-than-bitter-at-the-world sort of mood.

Sorry I'm such a bitch sometimes, but you all know how frustrating, umm, "stuff", gets.

[Edited bit to Dai Fae Po]

I can empathise with the gut-wrenching disgust you have for some/all reviewers, don't get me wrong, you're completely justified in having a bitch about them, it's just that everyone else has as well, and as the months roll by the situation isn't getting any better.

------------------
iomega_jaz@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by iomegajaz (edited July 20, 2000).]
Old 21st July 2000, 04:37   #5
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Sorry for the cross post, but this KID has it coming
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2000, 09:16   #6
Dai Fae Po

Don't you silly fools know that i already know that this topic is a million years old???? it's just that if I post a complaint....the diservice the reviewers are doing all of us will stop, because i am all powerful like that. seriously does anyone
know where they get these guys? that is a serious question. and are they paid? cause if they are WELL...let me tell you....they are getting paid for SHIT! my 10 year old cousin could do a better job than ALL of these guys put together.....hire him...or me for that matter....if anyone knows if these guys get
paid....please let me know

------------------
Old 21st July 2000, 23:40   #7
bwentink

Send a message via ICQ to bwentink
Iomegajaz, the reasons why we keep complaining about reviewers are really quite simple:

1. They suck, and nobody seems to be doing anything about it. I realize that when people are making subjective judgements, not everyone will be satisfied, but SOMR kind of consistency might be nice... When we see rips getting higher ratings than the original skins, something's wrong. When we see skins with no AVS get 5 stars somethings wrong. When we see skins with no MB and buttons that are nearly impossible to locate, something's wrong (See my "WTF?!?!?" post.)

2. Faced by comments that sound like the reviewer was hallucinating, we turn to the forums to find people who might have CONSTRUCTIVE input.

What can be done? One obvious answer is to at least suplement the reviews with user reviews and let those user reviews affect a skin's rating. If you don't want to seem like a skinz.org knockoff, 1)at least make sure your skinners are familiar with the ratings standards in the FAQs, because at least half the ratings on here bear no resemblance to the FAQ standards. 2) Make sure the reviewers are familiar with what a skinner.exe skin looks like. 3) Have the skins reviewed by a panel of reviewers, throw out the highest and lowest rating, and then rate the skin based on the average of the remaining reviews. That way, you avoid situations where someone's hours of hard work are not consigned to oblivion by some off the wall reviewer who is pissed off because his cyber-girlfriend just dumped him.

Until SOMETHING like that is done, expect to see more posts from irate skinners whose long hours of hard work and dedication have just been destroyed by some pissa ant with the IQ of a dung beetle!!
bwentink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2000, 23:48   #8
bwentink

Send a message via ICQ to bwentink
Now for the constructive input Dai Fae Po was looking for...

I would agree with the reviewer that it was a 3 star skin... and with you that the ramble about Winnie and Tigger was less than helpful. I have seen several 4 star skins with no MB and no AVS, but no 5 (or 6) star skins that didn't at least have a MB. If it had been fully skinned I would have given it a 4, since I do think your ideas are cool... If you want to improve it more, try doing some off the wall stuff... transparencies, 3D modeling or some really interesting (but visible) buttons...
bwentink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2000, 06:08   #9
Dai Fae Po

Thank you...finally thank you.....that's all i wanted to hear....i know my skin is less than perfect, and i know it doesn't deserve much more than a 3 and that's fine with me for the time being...the reason i think i deserve more stars from WINAMP is because i have seen so many other skins that hurt me to look at and they have 4s and 5s. y'know what i mean...of course you do...this topic has been forumed to death....DO SOMETHING ABOUT THESE RANK REVIEWERS WINAMP.COM!!! OR ELSE ALL OF MY SKINS ARE GOING TO 1001WINAMPSKINS.COM INSTEAD...IT SEEMS THEY HAVE REALISITIC RATERS THERE.

------------------
Old 22nd July 2000, 07:40   #10
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Do you guysd realise how many more manhours it would take for each skin to get appraised if each one was to be looked at by a panel of reviewers as opposed to just one? The publication process would get even more ridiculously drawn-out, skins wouldn't get seen on the site for months after submission and, if the reviews actually got more consistent, everyone would then complain about the length of time it took for their skin to be published. Catch 22.

You either get quality reviews, or fast reviews. Not both.

The other option which has been bandied about for a while by Ice and others is that of the peer-based reviews, ie. Skinners evaluating fellow skinner's skins. This would also make the publication process a lot longer, and people would get sick of it to possibly the same degreee that they get annoyed by the crap one-man reviews we get now. Another catch 22.

What would you rather, shoddily-reviewed skins getting published in about a month, or well-reviewed skins getting published in about 2 or 3 months?

A choice has to be made, by someone who has some clout where it counts. That's not you or me, that's Steve etc.

Hell, maybe if you keep on bitching for long enough (not a personal attack btw, I have been known to chuck the occasional anti-reviewer spack) they might change the way things are done.

Who knows?

------------------
iomega_jaz@hotmail.com
Old 22nd July 2000, 10:20   #11
Dai Fae Po

you know what...you are all wrong......all you need is a few GOOD reviewers.....screen the reviewers before you start having them screen the skins that come in. it will take the same amount of time, however someone with taste and a bit of knowledge of what it takes to create a skin will be reviewing. or maybe i am wrong....to tell you the truth i am sick of this topic and am going to quit responding soon, maybe these shitty ass reviewers need to have a quota of stars they need to give out./.....maybe they should all go to hell with the rest of you responding to this little response. this whole shit about skins is fucking stupid anyway i dont know why i got all upset in the first place....screw all you guys that dont know how to rate a skin...that is the last thing i have to say about that. and i wont post anything else unless someone badmouths me and this particular comment i just made. if so then "screw you" in advance and don't mess with me.....you dont want none of this

LATER!
~PAD

------------------
Old 22nd July 2000, 12:11   #12
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
Everyone has valid points-

the way i see it, skins should be reviewed
like.... figure skating. Yeah.

You have 3 - 5 people look at it, and they say "5.0/4.0/4.5/3.5/5.0" And then have an
average. Done. Then for the best skins you
could write a cool commentary, and for
the rest, a quick sentence. I see that as the
best "Compromise" between comittee and quick
and dirty approaches.

And there are more subtle advantages to this
as well- like for example, the fourth reviewer consistantly has the same taste you
have. Then you could run a search on HIS favorites... and then you could get all kinds of skins you like.

Also, We all know the reviewers have a liking
of metal designs. If the panel was made so that all of the reviewers had different tastes, a Consistantly high scoring skin would truly be the "Creme de la Creme" of
Skins.

Xerxes

===This is not a democracy! ===
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins