Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions

Old 15th September 2006, 08:01   #1
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

I was looking for a Chevy but I ran into this instead

With my old 1986 Toyota 4Runner finally starting to no longer be able keep up with me (apparently the oxygen sensor gave out on me while I was burning out in the desert after a hard rainfall), I decided it would be a good idea to start window shopping for a new means of transportation before more things began to fail on my trusty old rust bucket. I wanted to change things up a bit and get a car instead of another truck this time around.

Long before I decided to start shopping for a new car I was already very interested in a Toyota Yaris; I was forming plans to eventually purchase one. However, last July a friend of mine introduced me to the Chevy Cobalt. It was love at first sight.

Over the next month and a half I obsessively searched and researched Cobalts, so by the time I was ready to purchase, I knew exactly what I was going to get: a 2006 black SS Supercharged Cobalt coupe. Little did I realize how ignorant and naïve I was; there was a snowball's chance in hell that I would be able to insure something like that, nevermind financing it. In fact, it didn't hit me until I actually went to this end-of-the-month tent sale and immediately realized how foolish I was when the dealer gave me this "who the fuck does this kid think he is" look, when I showed how I was feeling when he told me they don't have any SSs at the sale.

(Alright, here's the part where you can finally stop skimming over the text because I'm finally getting to the point.)

I literally went from knowing exactly what I was looking to having no clue what I wanted. I decided to look around for a bit anyway in case I saw something else I liked. After about five minutes I found it: a black 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer (O·Z Rally Edition). Although merely interested, I decided to take it for a test drive anyway. Boy did I have fun driving that car. In fact, it was so fun to drive that I ended up taking it home.

So enough with the love story, here are the pics:

These first two images are actually ones the dealer took to list on AutoTrader.com; I'm too lazy to take some exterior photos myself...

Here are some interior shots:

(Click to enlarge)

After owning the car for only three days I already replaced the stereo headunit (I just couldn't survive without my satellite radio). Those of you who remember my Sirius thread should recgonize it; I took it with me when I sold my 4Runner:

^ Before

^ After

Although a Lancer isn't quite a Cobalt, my new ride is fast, fun to drive, and gets 29 combined MPG. Plus it cost me considerably less.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 09:26   #2
d0rk
I contribute nothing.
(Forum King)

Very nice!

/edit

To answer your question in my car thread that I never read until now..$16,000 after taxes and what I still owed on the Jetta after trade in.

I came for the hatred.
I stayed for the ballbag.
d0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 09:54   #3
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Good choice of car, the Lancer is one of the best ralley cars available today.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 12:39   #4
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Choice ride!
I've always held Mitsubishi in high regard
By the way, a vast quantity of cars on the road today have faulty O2 sensors. They're relatively inexpensive (30-50 bucks) and most are recommended to be replaced every 30,000 miles or you get that annoying "Check Engine" light. Their job is to properly tell the computer how to meter your air-fuel mixture by diagnosing your emissions.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 17:15   #5
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
By the way, a vast quantity of cars on the road today have faulty O2 sensors. They're relatively inexpensive (30-50 bucks) and most are recommended to be replaced every 30,000 miles or you get that annoying "Check Engine" light. Their job is to properly tell the computer how to meter your air-fuel mixture by diagnosing your emissions.
True, but I needed an excuse to get rid of the truck.

Old 16th September 2006, 00:28   #6
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Excellent!
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 06:15   #7
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Those Lancers are nice cars...

And I know it's not an Evolution, but wouldn' it be awsome if you tricked it out like the 2F2F Evo VIII?

$60 more on an "EVOLUTION VIII" trunk badge and you'll have 'em fooled...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 07:24   #8
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

LOL; I'm actually trying not to turn my car into a rice rocket. It's great, though, that there's a large variety of mods available for my Lancer.

Old 16th September 2006, 08:46   #9
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Do some minor babbles and bolt-ons, like an aftermarket intake and muffler...

I speak not only on a performance mind here, but also on general efficiency as well...You have no idea how those are over-looked when it comes to the issue of fuel efficiency...The stock intake/muffler is very restrictive, so replacing at least those two can help your gas milage a lot...

Think an average 29MPG is good? Now, what would you think if it got better?

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 16th September 2006, 10:47   #10
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

making the intake bigger means the engine needs more fuel to mix with the greater amount of air(if you reset the computer) = lower mpg which is bad but more powa

headers/extractors with bigger pipes and a hi flow cat will also increase fuel consumption.(but add power to the high end of the rev range)

because there's less restriction, there's less torque at lower rev's. so you'd need to rev the guts out of it to take off.

if you want it to be cheaper on fuel, get it converted to lpg.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 11:11   #11
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Aftermarket intakes don't necessarily make the intake "bigger"...Even aftermarket tubings are generally the same in diameter of about 2.5-3" as a stock tubing...The intake focuses more on efficient airflow; There's little intake disturbance in a smooth metal tube than in the bumpy stock plastic pipe, and conical air filters allow for better air intake...And depending on where the filter actually is, a metal intake tubing disspiates the heat so it sucks in relativly cooler air...

I've never heard of anyone having to reset the ECU for a short ram intake, and even at that, today's computers just re-adjust themselves overtime, so there's no need to reset anyway...It's not like a set of cams was installed...

As for the exhaust, I'm only suggesting a simple muffler; No need to get into that header shit for a plane-jane Lancer...

My 2.3L I4 Mustang used to only get a range of about 200 miles from a full ~12 gallon tank of gas when it was bone stock...When I installed a cold air intake and Flowmaster muffler, I not only noticed an increase of power (My buttdyno only reads torque, though ), but I eventually gained a range of about 300 miles from a full tank...If more of my driving was highway/interstate driving, I could probably see my Mustang getting a range of 350 miles...

Not bad for a 2.3L, considering my car's also a RWD automatic...

Old 30th December 2008, 08:11   #12
Johnsteve

Winamp

I am using win amp in my PC.Really win amp has very good effect and nice clarity.There are different types of win amp versions available in this site.Thanks.
================

john

New Cars
Johnsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 08:20   #13
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

What the hell was that for?

BTW, I miss my 300 mile range on a full tank now that I have a rebuilt engine that's only about ~3000 miles in...

Old 30th December 2008, 14:50   #14
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

i am using hardware in my pc, dunno bout you guys but i thought that's the way to go?
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 17:30   #15
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
What the hell was that for?
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 17:44   #16
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Re: Winamp

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnsteve
I am using win amp in my PC.Really win amp has very good effect and nice clarity.There are different types of win amp versions available in this site.Thanks.
================

john
Your spam is FAIL at Win.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 19:15   #17
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Quote:
Paradox time

Old 31st December 2008, 12:43   #18
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
to be honest, if you did plan on ricing it out, i'd laugh if i saw it driving down the street like that bright yellow one (even not yellow), but if you don't care about being laughed at, you should really get kit parts for the front and rear bumpers so you could put your intake behind the grill of the air ram on the underside, that's for most vehicles the main point or replacing an air intake, is getting air that's closer to the right temperature into the engine faster, the air rams are designed to force the air going under the car into a neat pattern so it's extra stable and usually have good air pressure and low temp down there.

of course, i have to say, if you get a stage 3 or 4 supercharger, you know? the turbine in mad max?

loud as hell high pitched whining noise, fun switch anyway and can be coupled with a turbo as well, i think.

turbo is usually a compressor to improve airflow and a supercharger either a compressor or additional intake (exhaust can be used on high end setups) or both to increase intake even more.

turbo generally better for smaller engines, i believe, and supercharger for larger, but if possible both are better.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 13:34   #19
gaekwad2
Foorum King

A turbo is a supercharger, it's just driven by a turbine in the exhaust instead of the crankshaft.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 19:23   #20
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
which isn't what i said?

depends on what type you get too, some are belts/chains some are compressors/turbines, there's different ones for different performance range increases.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 20:39   #21
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Too-DAMN-Much
which isn't what i said?
Looking though your last post, I'll be damned if anyone knew what you said...

Old 1st January 2009, 01:40   #22
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Too-Damn-Much, you have no fucking idea what you're talking about, do you?

Are you familiar with the term STFU?

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 04:26   #23
sgtfuzzbubble011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger

sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 07:34   #24
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Still driving the Lancer?

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 16:15   #25
namidani

i don't know how to drive which the handle is on left and manual gear
namidani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 21:59   #26
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

manual gears are nice
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 05:28   #27
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
Still driving the Lancer?
I totaled her a little over two weeks ago. Even after the insurance money, I still owe two grand on it. I miss my baby.

(I never did get that turbo either...)

Old 20th April 2009, 06:44   #28
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Damn. That really hurts.

I'm glad to hear you're still around to talk about it though.

What happened?

Old 20th April 2009, 06:58   #29
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

My sister wasn't at the school when I went to pick her up, so I slammed into a school bus because I was too distracted from looking for her. Epic fail on my part, but she shoulda stayed put instead of trying to walk six miles home in 90 degree weather. At least all the kids in the bus were ok.

Old 20th April 2009, 07:07   #30
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

There needs to be a law that keeps bumpers of large vehicles lower. Semi-Truck trailers have something like that, but buses don't for some reason. You must have really nailed the bus to total your car.

6 miles is between 1-2 hours, far more than I'd walk home from school in Phoenix.

Two weeks ago I was in an intense blizzard and you were in 90 degree weather.

Old 20th April 2009, 07:13   #31
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Yeah in the spring we have these random oddball days where the thermostat jumps up to 90, and that so happened to be one of them. Otherwise it stays around 65-75. Though a few days ago it dropped to 50 due to rain.

Old 20th April 2009, 08:22   #32
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

The funny part is that you used to drive a school bus... Or was that someone else?

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 16:03   #33
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Would've been drop dead hilarious if that was me, but I'm not even of legal age to get a CDL.

Old 23rd April 2009, 20:31   #34
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
There needs to be a law
I think we have enough of those to last for at least another hundred years.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 23:22   #35
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

In that case, perhaps not a law, but vehicle manufacturers should take into account how much damage a very high bus bumper can do to a car and it's passengers. Many cars could have the A pillars and windshield hit a bus's rear bumper before a car's bumper would touch anything on the bus.

On semi-truck tractor-trailers, there is some metal that is fixed below the rear of the trailer to help make impact less dangerous.

Old 25th April 2009, 16:53   #36
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
How many bags of rice does that thing use in a day?

Sad thing is one of the nutcases around me decided he was going to race me with his the other day. I beat him.

I drive a 1999 Ford Countour. Slightly modified but nothing special. And I don't need to carry Minute Rice.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Don't click this link!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2009, 17:41   #37
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Race my rice burners with that contour (and mine aren't even modded).

Last edited by swingdjted; 25th April 2009 at 18:13.
Old 25th April 2009, 20:39   #38
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by MegaRock
How many bags of rice does that thing use in a day?
~22MPG if I drove like a hard-ass,
~28MPG if I drove casually,
and ~32MPG if I was very light on the petal.

Since my driving style varied wildly from day to day, I got anywhere from 300-400 miles out of a 13.2 gallon tank of gas.

And no, I never riced it out either. The only mod I did was an aftermarket intake. Helped a tad bit with performance and fuel economy, and gave the engine a nice, deep little throaty sound when giving it some throttle. Sounded a lot better than that stupid-ass farting sound you hear from a lot of rice rockets.

Old 25th April 2009, 22:44   #39
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Don't you think that if it were that simple and inexpensive to increase a bit of performance/fuel economy that design engineers and auto manufacturers would do that "stock" to give better numbers for advertising and sales?

The whole intake/exhaust modding for performance is mostly bullshit. It does next to nothing, and if it does do something good, it's at quite a cost somewhere else in the system. The amount of resistance in the intake/exhaust is carefully designed/measured and balanced for proper air/fuel mixture, fuel economy, performance, longevity, and emissions. Tampering with that can and most likely will produce a net decrease in the overall quality of the system as a whole.

Old 26th April 2009, 05:18   #40
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

I drive a 1993 Mustang LX with the dual-plug 2.3L I4; The only performance mods I've done to it was a short ram intake, a Flowmaster muffler, and getting one of the catalytic converters taken off (Since the car has two, and only one is necessary)...I definitely noticed some better response on the old engine, through performance gains were minute, since the buttometer doesn't read horsepower as well as it reads torque, and I also did note a very minor but still average gain in overall economy, especially when I started to drive longer commutes more often...

But the stock restrictions really suffocate the engine's potential performance, and depending on when your car was built (If it's an EFI engine), the ECU might be able to adjust itself in real time...I've never had any problems with the car being set back in emissions, performance, or efficiency, and I never noticed it running leaner or richer...Of course I can't back that up with any solid information short of instinct, since I've had a rebuilt engine dropped in my car...

I'll never really understand why manufacturers place such limits on even just basic efficiency, though it probably has more to do with the drivetrain application to a car and what the car's priorities are...Even for something like a Mustang, you'll find engineers with different mindsets when you compare those working on the run-of-the-mill V6/GT models against those working on the specialized performance variant Shelby GT/GT500...

They're minute mods, but they still help...Either way, you can always have the card reflashed...

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions