Old 29th March 2012, 21:26   #1
sankt

Anonymous to shut down Internet over SOPA, Wall Street

Anonymous have declared they are shutting the internet down on March 31 in protest against SOPA, Wall Street, and "irresponsible leaders and the beloved bankers who are starving the world for their own selfish needs out of sheer sadistic fun."

*Anonymous is not planning to kill the internet permanently, though. The group only wants to shut it down temporarily by carrying out a massive attack on thirteen root DNS servers.

“It may only last one hour, maybe more, maybe even a few days,” Anonymous said in a statement posted to Pastebin. “No matter what, it will be global. It will be known.”

By cutting off the thirteen DNS servers, Anonymous will effectively make the Internet unusable. Users will not be able to perform a domain name look-up, and will instead be greeted with an error page upon entering a familiar site's URL. Entering the direct IP address into the address bar will be the only way to reach the desired website.

http://rt.com/news/anonymous-shut-do...ns-server-781/

You should consider immediatly switching to alternative dns server systems.

- http://www.opendns.com/
- http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - www.ScenicTelevision.com
sankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 02:27   #2
rockouthippie
Banned

The open DNS servers you mentioned get their data from the root servers too. They are no different than the ones your ISP provides except they are not firewalled to non customers.

If you shut down these root servers, only updates would be affected. New domains and domain changes would be slow to propagate. The local DNS servers will just keep serving IP addresses (perhaps day old) until they can phone home to mommy.

This attack is nothing if it is possible. Unless Anonymous has some commandos to physically destroy the root servers..... A DOS attack isn't gonna do shit.... except maybe piss off some webmaster that bought a new domain.

I think somebody is just talking out their ass. How this is supposed to piss off bankers is beyond me... Everybody else yes.... bankers... not so much....

If they were able to do this, I'd have to revise my list of people that piss me off.

Bankers would become #2
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 03:54   #3
thinktink
Forum King

If they were actually able to DDOS the root DNS servers and actually render them unreachable then this would be a perfect opportunity for study.

I can't wait.

I doubt they will be able to pull it off though.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 06:40   #4
rockouthippie
Banned

Anonymous hates bankers, so he decides to take revenge against webmasters? Nice shooting. He should go hunting with Cheney. Tried to get Cheney..... came home with 2 ducks......
Old 31st March 2012, 00:25   #5
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Do these guys not realize that the root servers are anycast IPs?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 00:26   #6
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
The open DNS servers you mentioned get their data from the root servers too. They are no different than the ones your ISP provides except they are not firewalled to non customers.

If you shut down these root servers, only updates would be affected. New domains and domain changes would be slow to propagate. The local DNS servers will just keep serving IP addresses (perhaps day old) until they can phone home to mommy.

This attack is nothing if it is possible. Unless Anonymous has some commandos to physically destroy the root servers..... A DOS attack isn't gonna do shit.... except maybe piss off some webmaster that bought a new domain.

I think somebody is just talking out their ass. How this is supposed to piss off bankers is beyond me... Everybody else yes.... bankers... not so much....

If they were able to do this, I'd have to revise my list of people that piss me off.

Bankers would become #2
Not necessarily. As caches expire, any resolvers that use root hints instead of forwarders would be unable to make any more queries.

Although I do agree that nothing is likely to happen. Again, a lot of people are under the impression that, for example, A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET is a single physical server in a datacenter somewhere.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 31st March 2012, 06:10   #7
rockouthippie
Banned

I don't think it's gonna kill anything or even cause much of a hiccup if our local DNS servers don't talk to "momma" for a couple days.

It'd probably be like the internet was 5 years ago.... where domain propagation did take 2 or 3 days. A lot of companies run an out of date DNS so they can filter it.... then they'res custom hosts files....nobody wants to pay Verisign if they don't have to.... One thing it won't bother is banks.

This needs A. A better target and B. A better plan.
Old 31st March 2012, 15:39   #8
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

today's the 31st. I'm still browsing

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 17:05   #9
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
I don't think it's gonna kill anything or even cause much of a hiccup if our local DNS servers don't talk to "momma" for a couple days.

It'd probably be like the internet was 5 years ago.... where domain propagation did take 2 or 3 days. A lot of companies run an out of date DNS so they can filter it.... then they'res custom hosts files....nobody wants to pay Verisign if they don't have to.... One thing it won't bother is banks.

This needs A. A better target and B. A better plan.
RoH. You know I like you, so please don't take any offense to this, but you are simply incorrect in the first part of your post. If a DNS server uses root hints instead of forwarders and the root servers are unavailable, name resolution will fail once the caches expire. It's really that simple.

Of course, this is all hypothetical because every single root server would have to die or be disconnected for that to happen and the TTL on root queries is 48 hours.

Knocking out all of them is simply not going to happen.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions