Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist

Old 6th October 2000, 23:34   #1
WolfieD

OK. Anyone know the "Comet Cursor" program? WHY THE FUCK DOES IT HAVE TO DOWNLOAD TO YOUR FUCKING SYSTEM, PUT AN UGLY ASS ICON ON YOUR DESKTOP, AND YOU CANT STOP IT! I GO TO PAGES ALL THE TIME WITH THIS SHITTY APP, AND END UP DELETING IT ANYWAY! AND I CANT EVEN FUCKING DISABLE IT! GOD DAMMIT IMA GONNA DoS COMET CURSORS PAGE! THEY DONT EVEN ANSWER MY FUCKING EMAILS! (i sent it over 4 weeks ago) i fucking hate it, please someone, make a cool button, like "anti comet cursor" or something, and ill gladly support the cause. jeez some things are fucking annoying.

------------------
WolfieD - Brainwashing the youth of America since 1985
www.WolfieD.cjb.net - Go there or I'll torch your house.
Old 6th October 2000, 23:36   #2
WolfieD

www.WolfieD.cjb.net - Comet Cursor Free since... well... forever.

------------------
WolfieD - Brainwashing the youth of America since 1985
www.WolfieD.cjb.net - Go there or I'll torch your house.
Old 6th October 2000, 23:55   #3
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WolfieD:
GOD DAMMIT IMA GONNA DoS COMET CURSORS PAGE!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Go for it, dude. I hate that thing. I've never installed it, but I can't stand the way every single damned time I go to a page that uses it, it takes forever to load the page, and then pops up with a message asking if I want to install it. Annoying as hell.
I think I heard it's got a little spyware in it, as well.
Winsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2000, 04:49   #4
Who else?

Comet Cursor...
Just the name pisses me off

It`s so cool you can say fuck in this forum! FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK! Lalalalala! I`m feeling so much happier now!
Old 7th October 2000, 07:04   #5
Flynnz
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flynnz Send a message via AIM to Flynnz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnz
Definitely agree with ya on all counts. (I've never put that crap on my comp though.)

And yes - I read some stuff about it being "spyware".

[This message has been edited by Flynnz (edited October 06, 2000).]
Flynnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2000, 12:16   #6
sgtfuzzbubble011

Comet sucks ass...

I found a way to put a Comet cursor on my site without having to put that damn app on there. I can't remember how I did it, though.

------------------
Give me heavy machinery or give me death!
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2000, 17:53   #7
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Sarge dude, I went to your site a couple of months ago, and it made me download/install the app.....

------------------
\ All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
/ My site kicks your site's puny ass. It's white! And grey! Ha!
------------------
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2000, 21:32   #8
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

no need for special cursors... the ones that come with windows work just fine for me.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2000, 03:14   #9
Mulefire

Urgh... I detest nasty old Comet Cursors. I have an Anti Comet firewall setting that stops the stupid thing from installing or bothering me now. Sheeesh... what is the net becoming? A Spyware breeding ground by the looks of it. I mean do 90% of the net population know how to properly configure their firewall or even know what a packet sniffer is? Nope. So these companies can just keep on writing this crap and getting info for free. You would think packet sniffing firewall software would be built into the OS wouldn't you? I mean for a company who has successfully managed to get away with integrating Internet browsing software into the OS to not offer even basic protection is bloody criminal..-sigh- oh well there you go, modern ignorance.

Mule.

------------------
Sigs are for people with nothing interesting to say...
Mulefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2000, 04:35   #10
ReDVsion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to ReDVsion Send a message via AIM to ReDVsion Send a message via Yahoo to ReDVsion
This is why I need to switch to Linux - So those nasty little POS windows programs can't get to me.

------------------
Click HERE if you think Sonique ROCKS!

[edit]don't link to pages that intentionally try to crash browsers. it's not nice. -Mr. Ice[/edit]

[This message has been edited by Billzo (edited October 20, 2000).]
ReDVsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2000, 04:42   #11
Mulefire

Agreeably Linux is a nice OS. Is it better than windows...Proberly. But does it only have good software? Nope... It has shit as well. It just dosn't have as much becuase it has a general lack of software in the first place. With it growing maybe it will end up with even more crap..who knows.. Open Source does not mean Good Source.

Mule.

EDIT - Sheesh I just noticed that I always seem to be arguing with ReD... Ooops.. Not intentional! Honest Guv!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mulefire (edited October 07, 2000).]
Old 8th October 2000, 04:55   #12
ReDVsion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to ReDVsion Send a message via AIM to ReDVsion Send a message via Yahoo to ReDVsion
's OK, I'm used to this sort of thing. Plus, if nobody argued with me, my posts wouldn't be very lengthy .

True, true, however the fact of the matter remains I got linux for free and windows 98 cost 90 bucks (not counting windows 95).

Plus, Linux is stable - something you definitely can't say about Windows. Windows seems to be getting worse every year. Linux just gets better. It also has a nice customizable UI. Of course when the next windows comes out it's supposed to be customizable as well, but that'll just lead to new bugs. I'll just use litestep anyway - It's been around longer.

Actually, if you REALLY need a windows prog on linux, they've got a prog called WINE that's supposed to be able to do that sort of thing. The only problem I have is the lack of a REAL winamp. Sure, XMMS uses Winamp skins, but I don't think I can use G-force and stuff like that with it. Hey developers... Any chance for WA3 on Linux?

The unfortunate thing is that Sonique 2 is supposed to be ported to Linux as well. That means that if I want vis's and shit I'll have to use that shit. I just hope it's not as MFing slow/buggy as it is now.

------------------

[edit]don't link to pages that intentionally try to crash browsers. it's not nice. -Mr. Ice[/edit]

Old 8th October 2000, 05:08   #13
Mulefire

Hey I got DOS,95,98,98SE,2000 for free But yeah I know what you mean. Linux is definately more stable than Windows. I have just done 2 reinstalls of 2000 due to a crap video driver...Urgh...

Currently I use LiteStep, WindowsBlinds 2.0 Enhanced and WindowFX 1.0 Enhanced. So I have a swanky looking system that is not quite as buggy as usual. Although with the amount of programs I have to add to my exclusion lists I wonder if it's worth it sometimes

I've actually looked at WINE but it suffered too much of a performance hit to be really usuable on my particular system.

Tee Hee... I can just see you reduced to using Sonique 2... Well by all acounts (but then who believes those .plan files anyway) Sonique 2 should be a lot smaller and faster than the current hog. Who knows, just have to wait and see... Isn't WinAMP 3 going to be ported? One would think so.

Mule.

------------------
Old 8th October 2000, 05:20   #14
ReDVsion
Major Dude

Ahem... Free? I can only think of 2 ways you can get them free: 1 is illegaly (god forbid ) and 2 is with a new comp, which is not exactly free...

Hmmm... So wine isn't an option. Shit. oh well. the whole point of Linux anyway was to get the hell away from windows.

it better be ported. I don't think I'll be able to get rid of windows w/o it

It's nice to have another LS user on the forums. Litestep is probably the best thing that's happened to my windows in a long time. I don't use windowblinds or things like that, tho'. Never had much luck (plus windowblinds isn't freeware .

------------------

Old 8th October 2000, 05:48   #15
Mulefire

Well as to free software...yeah I suck... I use "Dodgy" copies from the Barras. Feel free to bathe me in your ethical morality! I'm just a bad bad man.

Windowblinds 2 Enhanced and WindowsFX are available online for free in the "right" places. I honestly am saving to buy the legit Object Desktop though ($49) as it is worth it. If I could afford it I would buy all legit, as it is I can't so I don't.

Yeah I do love Litestep, I even had it on my work comp once...just to make everyone else jealous.. Heh Heh.. It's proberly the better of the shell replacements I have tried. I tend to go for a very minimal desktop, no wharf or task bar. Just a nice biotech border around the screen with blended hotspots that slide out to reveal the program icons (all monotone to match of course ) Heh I do like my monotones... Simple and stylish, especially with the WindowBlinds as well.

To be honest WindowFX has a lot of bugs at the mo and can be a pain in the behiney, but running in under 2000 is just so nice.. The alpha blending and realtime shadowing is incredible. My favourite part is that when you click and drag a window it turns semi-transparent so you can see what you are dragging it over! Newer builds will hopefully incoporate the OS X non-highlited semi-transparent windows as well.

Mule.

------------------
Old 8th October 2000, 07:35   #16
ReDVsion
Major Dude

Ethical Morality? Hmmm? Whazzat?

Please... I couldn't give a shit what you get from Microsoft for free. They're rich already.

I'll have to check out those other progs. Never tried windowFX, although I don't have Win2k either.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Billzo (edited October 21, 2000).]
Old 8th October 2000, 10:34   #17
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

I believe Nullsoft is planning on porting Winamp over to Linux, but, last I heard, they're having a hard time finding a good programmer to hire to do it.
Old 8th October 2000, 11:03   #18
sgtfuzzbubble011

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iomegajaz:
Sarge dude, I went to your site a couple of months ago, and it made me download/install the app.....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops. Maybe I thought I knew how to do it, but forgot that I didn't know how to do it, and remembered that I forgot to remember that I don't remember that I forgot that I can't do it. I dunno...

------------------
Old 8th October 2000, 11:27   #19
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

But if you remembered that you forgot to remember that you don't remember that you forgot that you can't do it, then you wouldn't have said that you could.
Old 8th October 2000, 11:29   #20
sgtfuzzbubble011

D'oh!

------------------
Old 8th October 2000, 11:29   #21
That Myers Kid

Comet Cursor works like a counter on a web page with a few little extra bits. It apparently counts the number of websites that contain comet cursor and the number of people that have it on their computers. It doesn't have any personal information. It still sucks though.
That Myers Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2000, 18:22   #22
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

Comet Cursor "phones home" to its servers:

(1) Whenever you visit a website that changes its cursor, and

(2) Periodically, to check for new versions and bugfixes.

When it "phones home", it provides the following information to its servers: Cookie info, referrer ID, IP address, and system information. Essentially it is tracking web browsing on a limited basis, and the IP address and system information would be enough to personally identify a specific computer in many cases.

Just the fact that it "phones home" without the user's specific approval each time is enough to classify it as spyware by my definition.
Reverend Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2000, 19:21   #23
pukkaboy
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to pukkaboy
I h8 comet cursor thats why i got this software called ANTIcomet which disables comet cursor when you visit a comet cursor page. I can't remember where i got it though. it's still pretty damn

------------------
You see, my brother made it in life, he sells windmills to minature golf courses.
But i'm just pushing buttons like a freakin chimpanzee.
I wanna dance.
I'm gonna be a dancer.
Nothings gonna stop me.
pukkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2001, 01:12   #24
xapec

i hate comit cursor
Old 27th February 2001, 07:13   #25
sgtfuzzbubble011

WTF?..... I don't think I had any facial hair when this thread was started!
Old 27th February 2001, 16:10   #26
SexyLoserKitten
Moderator Alumni

I think people ressurect old threads just to fuck with us
SexyLoserKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2001, 17:52   #27
jns
Forum King

Why else?

jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2001, 18:00   #28
SexyLoserKitten
Moderator Alumni

I Pfft at you
Old 27th February 2001, 20:20   #29
the real Slade

Send a message via ICQ to the real Slade
pplz who ressurect old threads probably havent been on the forums for a while....

oh and btw pfft to u all

P|-|33R /\/\Y 1337 p057||\|G 5|<|115
the real Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2001, 21:03   #30
fish
Pretty Cool Guy

Send a message via AIM to fish
uh... pfft belongs to pfftboyjaz

BTW, I ressurrected this one

eh, heh.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2001, 21:18   #31
SexyLoserKitten
Moderator Alumni

SelloutJaz exchanged his rights to Pfft for some Oreos
Old 27th February 2001, 21:29   #32
the real Slade

Send a message via ICQ to the real Slade
mmmm oreos
id sell my soul for some OREOS
kidding :P

P|-|33R /\/\Y 1337 p057||\|G 5|<|115
the real Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2001, 01:52   #33
xapec

i like the double stuffed oreos !
Old 28th February 2001, 01:57   #34
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
i like the colored ones!
and double stuffed

s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2001, 04:37   #35
SexyLoserKitten
Moderator Alumni

The Springtime blue Oreos are the shit
Old 28th February 2001, 05:35   #36
sgtfuzzbubble011

I like the Halloween Time Oreos.