Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 19th September 2010, 19:35   #1
Andry81

Winamp v5.551/5.581 + Vortex AY plugin - crashes on startup if playlist has vtx files

Recently i found bad behaviour of winamp with "Vortex AY or YM Chip Emulator" - http://www.winamp.com/plugin/vortex-...emulator/50355. Crash envolved both versions of plugin - 3.0 and 4.0 beta.

Workaround: Erase 2 files in setting directory before startup:
1. "c:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Winamp v5.581\Winamp.m3u"
2. "c:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Winamp v5.581\Winamp.m3u8"

Actually, i didn't test it very much, so don't know which one vtx file in playlist envolve a crash.
Andry81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 19:52   #2
Andry81

Winamp v5.551/5.581 + Vortex AY plugin - Sound chokes and snappes if HDD heavily IOed

I have found a problem with DirectSound Output plugin (out_ds.dll) in case where HDD busy on heavy IO. I had no problems with playing mp3 files, only when playing vtx files (Vortex AY plugin).

First of all you need to open window with DirectSound settings:
"Winamp Preferences->Plug-ins->Output->Nullsoft DirectSound Output v2.49 (d) [out_d.dll]->Configure->Status".

There is demonstrating speed of buffer IO. So if HDD is busy on read/write operation, then "Buffer write cursor" speed slows down, so after several seconds (depending on buffers size) "Buffer playback cursor" run downs "Buffer write cursor" which envolve buffer cursors speed race which envolve sound choking and snapping.

I beleave this is rare issue, because mp3 playback plugin is optimized for that kind of behaviour, so basically have no that kind of problems.
Old 19th September 2010, 19:53   #3
DrO

if it's crashing then it's most likely an issue with the plug-in not working correctly with newer Winamp clients and that's something which needs to be fixed in the plug-in and isn't something to resolve in Winamp itself. as such there's not much anyone here can otherwise suggest other than trying to contact the author for an update as 3rd party plug-ins aren't supported here.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 19:57   #4
Andry81

Quote:
if it's crashing then it's most likely an issue with the plug-in not working correctly with newer Winamp clients and that's something which needs to be fixed in the plug-in and isn't something to resolve in Winamp itself. as such there's not much anyone here can otherwise suggest other than trying to contact the author for an update as 3rd party plug-ins aren't supported here.
I don't know where problem is, it's maybe winamp problem, i am not a developer of it. And plugin not crashes for me if playlist is empty on startup.
Old 19th September 2010, 20:24   #5
DrO

i've merged you other thread into this one.

the plug-in is a 3rd party plug-in and so is not supported here. if the plug-in is not working with newer Winamp clients, it is down to the plug-in author to update the plug-in to be compatible with the newer Winamp clients. and as it seems to be from 2000, it's missing support of a large number of improvements and apis which even the early Winamp 5.x supports.

as such there's nothing anyone on these forums can do to resolve the issue and it's solely in the hands of the original plug-in author to resolve any compatibility issues - not Winamp's (harsh but that is how things are and if i can support 65+ plug-ins for newer client compatibility then i'm sure other plug-in authors can support just a single plug-in).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports