Old 1st September 2014, 11:21   #1
Aminifu
Forum King

Playlist Management

This is probably by design and not a bug, but I noticed that the top level media library "Playlists" view does not update the number of items within playlists if they are edited after they're imported (when using Winamp to edit them, even after a restart). The only way I could see to get the correct numbers was to remove all the playlists and import them again. BTW, selecting the right places to click on to resize the columns in that view is still very difficult (and the new sizes don't persist).

Before removing the playlists, I tried to just re-import them (thinking the process would overwrite what was there). I got an error message window that refused to close on the 1st acknowledgement. This blocked access to everything else in Winamp. I didn't want to use the Windows task manager to force Winamp to shutdown, so I clicked on the message window's "OK" and "X" buttons several more times. I lost count of how many clicks it took until the window finally closed.

The error message said "The playlist you have selected has already been imported into Winamp and will not be re-added." It must require a click for each playlist. This would be clear if the error message included the playlist name. Even better if 1 acknowledgement served for all, since there is nothing else to be done but acknowledge the message.

I don't know if it matters, but I was listening to a SHOUTcast stream while also using Winamp to edit some of my playlists. I also link to the original playlists instead of creating media library copies. So, the only way for Winamp to remove the playlists was to physically delete them, then I had to recover them from the recycle bin. Why not just update the data files (1 in my case and it's backup) in the appropriate Winamp data folder instead of deleting the original playlists?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 11:45   #2
DrO

what you're seeing is sort of expected with how i quickly implemented the import behaviour at the time as it drops some of the Winamp management handling to ensure it would work without messing with the playlists unnecessarily.

so with the case of it not updating the information, in most cases it will be due to Winamp just not knowing there has been a change. the fix for that would be tracking changes made to the files and / or adding a 'refresh' action on the playlists root to allow you to force update things as needed (obviously automatically doing it would be the ideal, but a simple refresh action will also suffice if time doesn't allow for a fuller solution to start with).

for the column sizing, the position is not meant to be saved in any of the playlist views as it's not been coded to do so. for the specific playlist views it is down to what is used to make them look like the main playlist editor but not being like the main playlist editor implementation. for the root view, it probably could be considered as something to persist.

as for the sizer between the columns being difficult to find, that's down to the OS listview control and i'm not aware of any official means to increase the size of the area that would trigger the appropriate cursor.

if you're using the original playlist, then there's nothing to use from the settings folder as that's the whole point of that feature whereby the playlists used are what you set and not a copy instead. that's why deleting from Winamp when using an original playlist will also delete that playlist - maybe it should be possible to keep the original playlist and just remove it from Winamp's known list of playlists.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 12:05   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

You responded while I was editing my post. I belatedly realized that I needed to acknowledge that error message for each playlist I was trying to re-import.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
... or adding a 'refresh' action on the playlists root to allow you to force update things as needed (obviously automatically doing it would be the ideal, but a simple refresh action will also suffice if time doesn't allow for a fuller solution to start with).
A simple refresh action would do nicely.

Quote:
... for the root view, it probably could be considered as something to persist.
That would be nice, since the columns in that view are harder to adjust than in any other.

Quote:
... maybe it should be possible to keep the original playlist and just remove it from Winamp's known list of playlists.
I understand the changes were done quickly. I also read the changelog at the time, so I knew I would have to recover my playlists. But now there is time to take another look and see what the impact is to just edit the appropriate .xml file(s). Maybe it could be part of the refresh process mentioned above (a check for missing playlists along with updated ones).

The logic for enabling the "Save" button when changes to individual playlists are made already exists, so Winamp has a way of detecting changes to playlists done within the media library. Can it detect changes done in the playlist editor?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports