Old 20th April 2014, 13:53   #1
ChiggyChiggy

Pretty Skins? Recommendations?

Hey all, ive been liking Winamp alot lately and its become almost my default media player. But i always use the default skin because its one of the few skins that are actually usable and doesnt look like a failed science experiment.

I need some skin recommendations of what you guys think are "beautiful" or elegant skins, something that looks classy and modern, since its pretty much impossible to find skins by googling that dont look like crap, screenshots if you can too would be epic!

Im looking for both simple (like say AIMP3) skins and skins that are as full featured as Bento, for example like this http://mlipod.sourceforge.net/w/imag...AndPrefWin.png
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 14:58   #2
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Hi, I moved your thread to the skins section (had to choose classic or modern, went with the first one since your screenshot and because it is a slightly more popular section).

When I get back to my PC I'll recommend you a couple of skins!
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 14:38   #3
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Totally forgot about this thread.. sorry.

You shouldn´t have to use Google to search for skins, check DeviantArt skins section (sorted by Most popular so you see the best first) or check this post for more sites where to look for specifically Winamp skins.
Old 30th April 2014, 18:18   #4
ChiggyChiggy

Apologies for the super late reply! Im never getting notified of new posts that i make unless i subscribe to them manually >.< Never knew there was a skins subsection too..

I know about dA, but i meant more like personal recommendations? Basically what you like and would call "pretty" or "beautiful"
Old 30th April 2014, 20:09   #5
DrO

Winamp minimised to the notification area is the cleanest skin i know and love
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 21:33   #6
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
Winamp minimised to the notification area is the cleanest skin i know and love
But no eye candy that way D; Come on you gotta like some skins xD
Old 30th April 2014, 22:04   #7
DrO

the Winamp i actually use is generally minimised (as i have my development install and another one so i can use Winamp when working on Winamp) or it usually ends up having Big Bento (which i'm preferring more of late after making some tweaks to it) or Winamp Classic as the active skin.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 22:51   #8
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiggyChiggy View Post
..but i meant more like personal recommendations? Basically what you like and would call "pretty" or "beautiful"
Well, that's a pretty personal question, you'll have one different response from each one you ask.. from the "skin's aseptic" like DrO to the Skins freaks like me (I think that UI is 90% of the charm of an app, but it's a complicated world.. luckily.. ).
MY personal option from some time ago are the cPro skins, which I even developed a couple to suit better my taste, it has a wide range of "possible views" (windows arrangement within the skin), it's a Single User Interface (I like having it all together..), plus it has the customization level I like to play with (as a designer). Among other things.

The best option for you is what suits you better to listen your music, something that feels practical / easy to use and nice to watch at the same time is the ideal, but is a delicate balance.. you'll have to explore, which is actually part of the charm of having so many skins (in fact, with time you may end up using different skins depending on what you do or your mood.. or no, maybe you find "the one" and stay true to it as much as you can..).
Old 1st May 2014, 15:49   #9
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

It's really a matter of taste. And we all have different tastes.

On 22nd July 2010 I have installed Winamp the first time, and until April 2014 I have used only the default Bento. I have created some beautiful Color Themes. But I became more anxious also for the other Winamp Skins. 2 years ago I began to download the first 3rd-party skins, this year I have downloaded much more, and I have made backup-copies. Also I began to play a little bit with the software Skinamp (fortunately it works on Vista). 4 of the first 6 Classic Skins contain the album art of another very good artist. Then I began to create the next 6 Classic Skins, and I have shared a pack of the second serial.

From the downloaded 3rd-party skins I have made a selection and then a final selection. "wszview.exe" has helped me with my final decisions. Finally I have copied and pasted the first 3rd-party skins.

For my taste, I like more the Classic Skins than the Modern Skins. I hate metallic Skulls, pistols and machine guns, also I don't like the Anime Skins or Classic Skins, where a man poses himself very much. If I want to have an image skin, then I can use Skinamp. I don't need to download the many other image skins, which I have seen in the internet.

Last year I became more curious for the cPro Skins and the cPro2 Skins, especially for one of the newer cPro2 Skins. I love their Single User Interface (SUI) very much. After I have hestitated for so many weeks, finally I have installed the newest ClassicPro Plugin, and then I have enjoyed this one cPro2 Skin the first time (2 days ago)...

I suggest to visit Skin Consortium, 1001 Skins, Customize.org and deviantART. And take enough time...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 01:25   #10
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
I like the failed experiments...of which I have developed many of them god awful skins. Other than this, I prefer classic skins (when I use Winamp); generally I just need something to play music while I develop/program that does what I need it to.

Here are a few of my usual choices: (not by me)

http://www.1001skins.com/FileDownloa..._Mix_Color.wsz

(Sorry about this one, but I was a contributor---collaborator, though I still love it)
http://www.1001skins.com/FileDownloa...link.bot.1.wsz

http://www.1001skins.com/FileDownloa...=Descimate.wsz

http://www.1001skins.com/FileDownloa...etaldream1.wsz

http://www.1001skins.com/FileDownloa...me=1914v50.wsz

http://www.1001skins.com/FileDownloa...e=Energamp.wsz

Find More Skins Like the ones above @ 1001skins.com

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 19:21   #12
ChiggyChiggy

I really like the recommendations guys ^_^ Keep em up! Maybe this thread could be the main reference for anyone looking to start exploring Winamp's best skins o:

So far my favest is the Dark Aluminum cPro2 one with the Adobe CS5 color scheme, looks so lovely and clean ^-^, Thankies @Victhor !

If only so many of the classic skins didnt have super small playback buttons that make them hard to differentiate from the rest of the skin >.<
Old 4th June 2014, 21:28   #13
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiggyChiggy View Post
I really like the recommendations guys ^_^ Keep em up! Maybe this thread could be the main reference for anyone looking to start exploring Winamp's best skins o:

So far my favest is the Dark Aluminum cPro2 one with the Adobe CS5 color scheme, looks so lovely and clean ^-^, Thankies @Victhor !

If only so many of the classic skins didnt have super small playback buttons that make them hard to differentiate from the rest of the skin >.<
With posts like this I think DrO would be happy to see people actually finding use to skins and I finding people really looking into color themes!!
Old 5th June 2014, 00:36   #14
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
Generally, for Winamp...my absolute favorite (classic) = Viper.Bot - I still love what I was able to do...and yes, I love blink.bot...however, Viper was and is the very best of my skinning in my opinion. Though, I had help for Peacemaker...it really was an effort and pushed me into an entirely different way of making skins. Of course, that doesn't mean anything as I slowed quite a bit after Viper as well.

Here is viper:

Favorite Modern Winamp Skin: The only issue I have with this skin is the rotating display bugs the crap out me...other than this it is great.

Favorite CPRO Skin: I actually installed CPRO just to test this skin out and really enjoyed it...Really, overall a great simplistic design that I really appreciate. Bang Up job.

1001skins |
Old 5th June 2014, 05:39   #15
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

All Winamp Skinners, Preset Authors and Plugin Developers should get from me 5 stars... ★★★★★

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014, 15:16   #16
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garetjax View Post
Favorite CPRO Skin: I actually installed CPRO just to test this skin out and really enjoyed it...Really, overall a great simplistic design that I really appreciate. Bang Up job.
D'oh! I didn't saw this part of your post before!
Thanks! I'm glad you like it, it means a lot coming from you!
Old 14th June 2014, 17:35   #17
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Np... great skin... was an easy decision.

1001skins |
Old 2nd January 2015, 10:51   #18
djpete
Major Dude

This one was way ahead of it's time.
http://takanory.deviantart.com/art/i...-x240-30153738

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins