Old 18th March 2011, 13:19   #1
Peterpan321

Replay Gain Help, and some requests

Winamp 5.56 user here. I use Winamp for backing tracks during performance. Due to the variations in tracks created by various band members, the replay gain feature has been a Godsend, because there's nothing more annoying or distracting than trying to adjust levels after a song has started.

Anyway, yesterday I was doing a RG calc on a playlist/set, consisting of 10 mp3s and one m4a file. When it was done I noticed, to my surprise, that there were three windows on the screen. Two of them had some of the MP3 songs, and one window had the lone M4A. Its repeatable, so I just told each window to save (I usually do just track data). But since the process is splitting the analysis into three separate groups of songs I'm not really sure whether the RP calc process is even effective, or doing what I'd hoped (which was to approximately level out the volume of all the songs in the set).

Just FYI, I tried the same process again, this time without highlighting the one song that was an M4A, as I though the was to problem point. All that did was eliminate on of the three windows. In the end, I still had two RG windows, one with about 7 songs, the other with 3. The only rhyme or reason I can see this time is that the three in second window were more recent files (the file date was newer). But it still leaves me at a loss to know whether the process is even doing what I need to do, which is analyze the whole set. What do you recommend?
Peterpan321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 21:01   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hi

Hmmmm, at a guess....

Go to: Winamp > Prefs (Ctrl+P) > Playback > Replay Gain tab
and checkmark "Ask after all files are scanned" instead of "Ask after each album is scanned"
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 22:39   #3
Peterpan321

Well Thanks Egg! You're on to something! That indeed solves the problem, at least in the latest v 5.61 I installed today on my desktop. The one on my laptop is 5.56, and it doesn't seem to show any such options (at least not on that tab). In any case, I guess I'll upgrade it. It is a few versions back, but you could see where a musician that depends on a programs behavior during live performances is a little more leery of upgrades than causal users. Now that I've tested on my desktop (AND it fixed this problem!), I'll apply the upgrade. Hopefully it will remember most of my settings? (skin? hotkey setups? options? font sizes? Manual playlist advance)... crossing my fingers!!!
Peterpan321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 00:43   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yes, as long as you just install the upgrade straight on top of the old version, then all settings/database etc will be kept.
It's only if you uninstall first where you lose everything.

Those same Replay Gain settings in older versions used to be found via:
Prefs (Ctrl+P) > Plugins > Media Library > Replay Gain Analyzer > Config.

ps. I'm moving this thread from Bug Reports to Tech Support
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support