Old 14th January 2013, 22:02   #1
makhellion

Shoutcast server (v2.0) freezes when client connects

I searched all along the FAQs, Troubleshooting guides and forums, but I didn't find anyone with a similar problem.

Short version of the story:
I am a quite experienced user and I have an almost-working set-up. I run the server and it works fine. I then start Winamp with DSP Shoutcast Plugin and streaming goes fine (e.g. "Status" is displaying "Sent NNN MiB"). When a client connects to the stream, the server suddenly "freezes" and eats 100% CPU giving no more response and leading to unability to even close it. Only chance is to reboot Windows. Client doesn't receive any stream.

Version of my software:
- Winamp 5.63 (ENG)
- Server: Shoutcast DNAS 2.0.0.29 [not 2.3.2.190 as I previously stated] win32 ("07/31/2011")
- Shoutcast DSP 2.3.2

More details:
-> I am able to stream without any problem with the same set-up in two other different computers. I can even do a copy/paste of the same files to a different computer on the same network and everything runs fine.
-> The machine having this problem can still stream with an old set-up: Winamp 2 (2.0.0.5), server DNAS 1.9.7, and DSP 1.9.0.
-> I created a fresh new user in Windows, but nothing changed.
-> Every firewall is turned off.
-> I tried to run the server as a service, but the same problem occurs: no issue until a client sends his request, then server application freezes (100% CPU).
-> The first time I switched from MP3 to ADTS-AAC encoding it seemed to solve the problem. Since then, I had issues again, no matter which encoder I choose.
-> I tested two different clients: Winamp running on a different computer (Windows 7), or "TuneIn Radio" iPhone's app. Both them are usually working fine.
-> I have no "Webhancer", and my issue seems pretty different from this one

Now... does anybody have any idea? If any developer needs to use my environment to find out any bugs I can give any detail... or even give him a Teamviewer access.
makhellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 22:26   #2
DrO

it's most likely due to the Source DSP trying to send artwork which is not working correctly in the public build of the v2 DNAS (v2.0 and not v2.3.2 as per the above details - seems you've mixed up the Source DSP and DNAS version numbers).

so first thing is to uncheck the 'artwork' options in the Source DSP configuration options.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 22:33   #3
makhellion

Thanks for your reply, but artwork is disabled. I corrected the server version above.
Old 14th January 2013, 22:40   #4
DrO

try the Source DSP in "legacy v1 mode" and if that doesn't help then you'd need to enable all of the debug-logging options to try to better determine what is going on (though i've a feeling it's something that is fixed in the internal builds as some of the metadata updates were causing client issues in weird scenarios).

-daz
Old 14th January 2013, 23:00   #5
makhellion

Let me add that every time I need to restart Windows since when sc_serv.exe is not responding, the process is not allowed to be killed by Task Manager (nor by Advanced Process Termination), just in case this can be useful to understand the problem.

[EDIT]
Tried "v1 legacy mode", and it works! I didn't try this before because I was still hoping for a "proper solution", but it seems to be a nice solution, after all. Thank you very much for your help... I'm happy now!
Old 14th January 2013, 23:09   #6
DrO

well it's the best "proper solution" for the time being - though as it's working ok in v1 mode then that does seem to match with the issue i remember fixing so whenever the next public build is released, you should be able to re-enable v2 mode in the Source DSP.

-daz
Old 15th January 2013, 23:45   #7
makhellion

Fine! Where should I keep looking forward next upcoming version? Do you suggest HERE or somewhere else?
Old 15th January 2013, 23:52   #8
DrO

you can check that page though you're more likely to see things sooner via http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=324877 (is one of sticky threads at the top of this forum) or looking at the sticky threads for the tools in the discussion forum -> http://forums.winamp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9 (though the previous sticky thread links to any threads in the discussion forum anyway).

as when a release does happen, it's usually a forum only release for a few days before appearing on the main download page (as you've referenced already).

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Tags
100%, cpu