Old 10th January 2001, 04:15   #1
leetweed
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 7
What do people think about creating a version of winamp for various games consoles now on the market (Dreamcast, PS2, etc)? Is it possible? Has it been discussed before? Is it even a good idea? To me, it just seems a waste to have all the equipment necessary to play mp3's and just having it sit there.

Thoughts?
leetweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2001, 06:51   #2
Jstalilwyrd
Major Dude
 
Jstalilwyrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 948
Send a message via AIM to Jstalilwyrd Send a message via Yahoo to Jstalilwyrd
I thought game consoles were built for gaming? (Then again, they thought the computer could only compute things...)

Well, I don't think it would be a great idea because why would you want to shoot mp3s through your TV? And not everyone has a nice speaker system hooked to their TV anyway. Think of it as kind of using the system as a CD player. [sarcasm]Oooh... the Playstation is playing my CD.[/sarcasm]. You would likely have to leave the TV on to seek and skip tracks and stuff. My computer sits running anyway. And it's built to handle all the stuff I throw at it. Oh well, my 2 cents.
Jstalilwyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2001, 08:36   #3
leetweed
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 7
Nah, that's cool. But think of the cool visualisation effects that could be done. Sarcasm was well recieved, though.
leetweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2001, 12:10   #4
RacingCaptain
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 140
Problem is, how would you get your mp3's onto the console? You'd either have to burn them onto a CD, which kind of defeats the object, or stream them off the net, and unless you've got a broadband connection, the quality'd be poo. Can consoles do broadband?
<edit>
But yes, you could do excellent twinkly things Do any consoles have a line in, so's you could run it as just a twinkly thing maker? That would rock.
<edit>
RacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2001, 15:01   #5
a-arse
Banned
 
a-arse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,711
The PS2 has digital line out.
You could put winamp on a memory card.
And on the memory card you could also store your MP3s
It would have to have about 40mb of space,
But it could be USB

Oh another Idea the PS2 has USB you could use that for line In
a-arse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2001, 00:50   #6
RacingCaptain
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 140
PS2 has USB? Wow! Now we're cooking with gas! Anyone know how to write things for PS2?
RacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2001, 01:05   #7
chiquita chad
Forum King
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,391
does PS2 even have net capabilities?
i know dreamcast does because i have it

maybe PS2 does and it just slipped me mind...

Artist Track
chiquita chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2001, 01:51   #8
leetweed
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 7
Why is burning to CD bad? It is currently the most versitile medium for storing large numbers of mp3's and having them portable.

And i agree, twinkly thingys are awesome.


Quote:
Originally posted by RacingCaptain
Problem is, how would you get your mp3's onto the console? You'd either have to burn them onto a CD, which kind of defeats the object, or stream them off the net, and unless you've got a broadband connection, the quality'd be poo. Can consoles do broadband?
<edit>
But yes, you could do excellent twinkly things Do any consoles have a line in, so's you could run it as just a twinkly thing maker? That would rock.
<edit>
leetweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2001, 05:57   #9
Jstalilwyrd
Major Dude
 
Jstalilwyrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 948
Send a message via AIM to Jstalilwyrd Send a message via Yahoo to Jstalilwyrd
Quote:
Originally posted by leetweed
Why is burning to CD bad? It is currently the most versitile medium for storing large numbers of mp3's and having them portable.
Burning to CD's not bad at all. I feel comfort knowing that as long as my music's backed up, it's all good. That, and I can store large numbers of them.

But then I get into those predicaments when I want to make different compilations of CDs. One mp3 CD has some songs, and another mp3 CD has some songs, and now I want to make another CD out of the other two CDs. That's why burning to CD is just a backup thing for me. I like the fact with a hard disk, I'll have enough songs to keep me busy, plus I can mix and match my playlists at will. I just feel putting it on a console will limit the versatility of music that I have with a computer.

It could be done, it could probably fly because of all the people that do own CD-based consoles (I own a Playstation, but I don't play CDs on it). But it hasn't, I guess that would have to be seen.
Jstalilwyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2001, 09:06   #10
mattjsimps
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 107
would be cool


but bad also.... think of the questions well get asked....

'help me, my memory card wont fit into my cd drive. how do i play it?' etc etc

maybe you would have to chip the PS2, like with the PS1 for 'backup' games???

however, how likely is it that WAPS (do you like the name???) would come out before it is obselete....my dad has replaced his pc twice since i have been waiting for WA3
mattjsimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2001, 20:33   #11
bluetape2k1
Banned
 
bluetape2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,356
Send a message via Yahoo to bluetape2k1
Psx2

the playstation 2 is not a console but a entertainment centre........well so they say but if WinAmp would be on the psx2 it would be like the GameShark cartridge and addon as we speak.

I know there was an Mp3 player for the Psx1

the thought of the psx2 running AvS's would be cool but no doubt on Vcd as they did on the the Demo disc in psx1 if any1 remembers that far back lol

BlueTape2k1



bluetape2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2001, 00:09   #12
leetweed
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 7
I was thinking that it could be designed so that it is simply just an extra few files that are burned at the start of a CD so that winamp auto boots when the disc is inserted into "x" console


Quote:
Originally posted by mattjsimps
would be cool


but bad also.... think of the questions well get asked....

'help me, my memory card wont fit into my cd drive. how do i play it?' etc etc

maybe you would have to chip the PS2, like with the PS1 for 'backup' games???

however, how likely is it that WAPS (do you like the name???) would come out before it is obselete....my dad has replaced his pc twice since i have been waiting for WA3
leetweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2001, 00:21   #13
RacingCaptain
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 140
What about MS's new attempt at further market domination - the X-box?. What a crap name, though

-But whatever anyone says about MS, you really can't fault the intellimouse. But that's about it
RacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2001, 00:48   #14
Kevin
Major Dude
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 582
Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Dreamcast has a broadband adapter and it runs WinCE, so porting wouldn't be that big of a deal.

But, there is an MP3 player for DC already, if anyone wants more information I could try to find it... :\
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2001, 00:51   #15
Matt
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: England
Posts: 3,396
I've got a DVD player, plays CD-RW and everything, even my mp3 cd's.

'Consoles' are good for one thing and that's games. Keep your consoles I'm happy with the PC, it can do much more.

X-Box , that'll be good I'm sure. This is Microsoft after all. The keyboard for it says it all - http://free.hosting.and.email.at.ebo...t_keyboard.jpg
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2001, 01:20   #16
RacingCaptain
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 140
lol @ keyboard

I know I won't be getting a console until they have PCI and AGP slots, USB or Firewire, have expandable memory, upgradable processors, hard drives, a bios I can play with, keyboards. Oh, that'll be a PC then...
RacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2001, 02:15   #17
Psycho Puppet
Major Dude
 
Psycho Puppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Somewhere, out there....
Posts: 570
Send a message via AIM to Psycho Puppet Send a message via Yahoo to Psycho Puppet
I believe PS2 does not have net capability yet but they are looking into adding such a thing later on. Which I heard is a bad move since most add-ons are rarely bought unless its a very significant part to the console.
Psycho Puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2001, 02:26   #18
tjb2004
Major Dude
 
tjb2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Rocky River, Ohio.
Posts: 1,881
Send a message via AIM to tjb2004
Quote:
Originally posted by Jstalilwyrd
One mp3 CD has some songs, and another mp3 CD has some songs, and now I want to make another CD out of the other two CDs.[/B]
You could always just rip the songs off your CD. A good ripper can rip a song in about 30 seconds.
tjb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2001, 02:37   #19
rm'
Banned
 
rm''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 11,361
Quote:
Originally posted by leetweed
Why is burning to CD bad?

Quote:
Originally posted by RacingCaptain
...which kind of defeats the object...
I think the purpose of using a console to play mp3's is to circumvent the use of a computer entirely. That's why it's bad. If you want to burn cd's to play mp3's, you may as well get an Apex DVD player, and hook it up to your stereo. Not only would you get better sound, you could use the lineout on the Apex to hook up to the linein on your computer and get a funky vis.
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2001, 02:47   #20
leetweed
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 7
True, but only if you have enough money to splash out on a DVD, computer, good quality amp/speakers, etc. The idea of using a console is that the reading and visualisation mechanisms are already in place, so apart from speakers, the system is already there.
Quote:

I think the purpose of using a console to play mp3's is to circumvent the use of a computer entirely. That's why it's bad. If you want to burn cd's to play mp3's, you may as well get an Apex DVD player, and hook it up to your stereo. Not only would you get better sound, you could use the lineout on the Apex to hook up to the linein on your computer and get a funky vis. [/B]
leetweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2001, 02:49   #21
leetweed
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 7
Is there? Tell me more!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin
Dreamcast has a broadband adapter and it runs WinCE, so porting wouldn't be that big of a deal.

But, there is an MP3 player for DC already, if anyone wants more information I could try to find it... :\
leetweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2001, 02:59   #22
rm'
Banned
 
rm''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 11,361
Quote:
Originally posted by leetweed
True, but only if you have enough money to splash out on a DVD, computer, good quality amp/speakers, etc. The idea of using a console is that the reading and visualisation mechanisms are already in place, so apart from speakers, the system is already there.
But the point is, the reason for putting winamp on a console is so you won't need a computer to run it. Now, how do you suppose you would put mp3's onto a cd without a burner? And where exactly do burners go?

So, with a console, you would need a burner, a computer, the console, speakers for the console, plus a decent TV. Pretty much the same deal for a stereo setup. You would need a burner, a computer, speakers and a deck. However, if your really wanted to, you could use a projector on a comp to simulate a TV, and you could use linein on the stereo so you wouldn't need a burner.

I still see no benefit of using mp3 cd's with a console.
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2001, 17:50   #23
bluetape2k1
Banned
 
bluetape2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,356
Send a message via Yahoo to bluetape2k1
It's not a matter of whether it can be done...

You can already run programs on dreamcast that emulate other consoles and the principal is the same.

With the PS2 you could just have a boot sector on your CD to boot the PS2 version of Winamp that would then go and and play through the playlist for that CD.

Programming for the PS2 is quite tricky though (one of the problems with that many developers have cited) but no doubt some enterprising person will 'suss it out.'

With the addition of the USB port on the PS2, it's more than possible to transfer songs from your computer to the PS2 for storage on the memory card but until capacity for these increases (which it will) this would have to kept back as a 'for the future' idea. Just think though, the PS2 has broadband options and also will have an optional Hard-drive...now there's your storage space!

But if a CD is burnt that boots, has about (roughly)120 songs on it (at say 128 bit rate) that leaves plenty of room for some absolutely brilliant visuals!

All it takes is for that one person, who knows how to program PS2, to implement the idea.

Dont all look at me!!!!!!

Actually, I'm surprised that something similar hasn't been done for the PS1 (I mean not in hardware but software form) - my Amiga has a version of winamp that plays mp3's and it ony runs at 28MHz!

It can't do anything else while it plays an mp3 file though!

Whew, all this typing...I'm off for a beer!
bluetape2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2001, 21:51   #24
leetweed
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 7
Ok, ok, point conceded. Either way a lot of extra equipment is needed. I still think that, fundamentally, the idea is sound. I mean, everybody has a tv and stereo, and most people at least know somebody with a cd burner, so the issue of getting the media isn't really a problem. Consoles, these days, are often a lot more powerful (and accessable) than an average PC, and as i've said previously, it just seems a waste to have all that power sitting there not being utilised. True, if you own a brand spanking new 1.5Ghz P4 plus an ultra-reet 3D card, you'll get awesome vis effects, but heaps of people don't (like me) and own consoles instead. It's just a matter of opinion i guess.


Quote:
Originally posted by Radioactive Man


But the point is, the reason for putting winamp on a console is so you won't need a computer to run it. Now, how do you suppose you would put mp3's onto a cd without a burner? And where exactly do burners go?

So, with a console, you would need a burner, a computer, the console, speakers for the console, plus a decent TV. Pretty much the same deal for a stereo setup. You would need a burner, a computer, speakers and a deck. However, if your really wanted to, you could use a projector on a comp to simulate a TV, and you could use linein on the stereo so you wouldn't need a burner.

I still see no benefit of using mp3 cd's with a console.
leetweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2001, 03:42   #25
Kevin
Major Dude
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 582
Send a message via AIM to Kevin
DCMP3

http://www.geocities.com/first_wizar...nder/dcmp3.htm

aka The closest your gonna get... heh
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump