Old 11th July 2006, 13:47   #1
protegechris
Forum Queen

Any bike riders around?

I dropped a pant size already and thinkI need to pick up more outdoor exercises. I just got my bike out of pawn and am going to start riding -- I'm considering a new one though. Would anyone recommend some affordable bikes good for riding on the road?

I considered walking, running, etc.. unfortunately I think the aim of the gangsters around here is good enough to take out a big jogging whitey

yeah, i'm back.
protegechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 14:10   #2
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Here's mine: http://www.psykotech.com/alias/2.jpg

In my opinion, it's a good value all-rounder. I've done some reasonably long (for an unfit person like me) road rides on it, as well as plenty of off road stuff (i've got a 2.5km cross county loop in our backyard) and it hasnt let me down.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 14:17   #3
protegechris
Forum Queen

Nice! My handlebars are the same but they fail to tay up, and they wiggle around. I can't even get the hex bolt off to flip them up now. It's pissing me off, I tightened it so much last time I can't undo it now How much did that run you?

Looks good because I need something very maneuverable and stable.. There is only one road here with a bike lane

edit: damn it. I stripped out the hex bolt that tightens the handlebars. Now not only are they still broken but I can't even ride it now. Don't think the bolt is removable..

I dunno if epoxy would work.. bah. It's a Magna Glacierpoint 15 gear. Cheapass bike, the handle bars are tightened with one bolt and there are grooves in the handlebars and raised grooves on the outer thing around the handlebars. Those never held the bars in place, so you were able to flip them up and down and even tightened to DEATH they still spun around. Damn it.

yeah, i'm back.

Last edited by protegechris; 11th July 2006 at 14:57.
Old 11th July 2006, 15:16   #4
tuckerm
Forum Emo

http://www.msrlive.net/images/bike.png
^
Dad's old bike
tuckerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2006, 10:07   #5
protegechris
Forum Queen

I've had my Magna for almost 2 years now.. It is a cheapass bike, but nothing's broken except for the problem with the handlebars.. so I decided rather than buy a new cheapass bike I should just fix this as I see fit, at least until I'm in good enough shape to justify a midrange bike.

Anyhow -- going to get a handpump and some mounting stuff to attach water bottle(s) tomorrow, as well as a cyclocomputer.. or whatever they call the speedometers nowadays.

I took my cordless drill and started drilling into the bolt, which wiggles back and forth (hence the handlebars moving around I assume. I pulled the head of the bolt off and now I just need pliers to twist the rest of it out, then headed to home depot for a new bolt.

yeah, i'm back.
Old 12th July 2006, 16:23   #6
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
i've had a bike from Walmart for a little over 2 years and it's worked since then. i've only got problems with the front brake cable breaking every few months. i'm going to fix my front brakes in a couple of days as i don't have brakes right now(i still ride my bike w/o brakes, i just stop like Fred Flintstone).

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2006, 19:10   #7
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

I just droped a bit on a Trek 7300. A real nice street bike. But, before you pick a bike, you have to know where you are going to ride it most? Streets and paved paths or dirt and mountains?

If it is going to be mostly on thr road look for "Hybrid" bikes. They have you in the upright riding position, but have the thin tires for greater raod effiency.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2006, 22:14   #8
sgtfuzzbubble011

I've got a Pacific Cycle 3000YX (I haven't been able to find a website for it). I got it at Toys'R'Us several years ago for about $200. It's got an aluminum alloy chassis, front and rear adjustable suspension, 21-speed chain drive with quick-shift controls, 26" off-road tires, front and rear V-brakes, vertical handle grips on the ends of the handlebar, quick-adjust seat, and a water bottle holder. You could probably find a comparable bike today for half that price, though. Lots of new bikes even have disc(k?) brakes now. Hope you find a bike that you like soon.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2006, 23:47   #9
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
@ sarge : disk only when referring to floppies i think

and my bike is currently a mongoose exile (one of the newer models) with front and rear suspension (if you get one with rear suspension be sure to tighten it all the way lest ye be bouncing up and down while standing) all in all it's a pretty nice bike, and the only problems i've had with it is the rear brakes sometimes "lock" into the braking position if i pull on them too hard, i would also like to add that despite being a mountain bike it does fairly well on the streets (it may be a little slower than one dedicated to flat surface riding, but, oh well.)

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 01:26   #10
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

As many people as ride bikes around here, I'm going to jump out of some bushes, ambush the bitch and bikejack him.
Catch me, bitch!
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 05:44   #11
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Giant brand bicycles are great and not overly expensive - cops use them in Cleveland and Akron.

I recommend Trek, Gary Fisher, GT, and Giant.

If you choose a rear suspension, remember, you lose 20-40% of your peddling power. I prefer hard-tail. Rear suspensions only serve 2 reasonable purposes - comfort and/or serious steep bumpy climbing or descending.

I tell people that of all bicycle features you can get, these are musts, in order of importance:

V-Brakes (or disc if you can afford them)
Helmet
Strong security cable that is long enough to secure both tires and frame to a fat tree
Tire change kit if you’re going to travel more than 3 miles from your car/house
Cell phone if you’re going more than 5 miles away

As far as recommended (not as musts) stuff to get, I have most of what I want below.

Personally, I ride a Trek 4900. Comes with Shimano 27 (9x3) speed trigger-shift, Alpha Aluminum frame, Rock Shox Judy (80mm travel) adjustable front fork, hard tail, V-Brakes, 26" duel-V wheels, fast release seat and axles, connections (threaded hole sets) for 2 water bottles and a rear rack, and front/rear specific off-road tires (rear tread is more horizontal for traction, front tread more vertical for hard cornering grip. Priced around $400-500 (The one I found online was $579, but it had disc brakes while I don’t).

With that I added an adjustable height neck, vertical handlebar grips (for climbing), a 3/8” x 6’ combination security cable, rear rack, a tire-change kit (fits under seat - tire, tube, tire-pryers, 6" pump, allen wrench set, transforming mini-screwdriver), a pair of water bottles, a decent cyclocomputer, a head/strobe-tail light set, and CD player mount (and a helmet too of course). I also bought some Michelin road tires for when I'm on the road - they're a lot better especially on wet smooth pavement where knobby tires slide easily when braking or cornering.

The rack will hold a laptop bag on one side and a backpack on the other and still have the top free if I want to ride to work.

All this would total around $750-800 (bike included).

If that's too much, get a comfort bike for around 2-300, and add your mods one by one as the money comes.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 06:07   #12
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
I recommend Trek... With that I added...vertical handlebar grips (for climbing)
One of the best things I added was an extra set of brake levers to the vertical grips. Safer and more convenient.
Razzinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 06:24   #13
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Hmmm... Didn't even know they were available - gunna have to look into them.

Some other things I don't have but want:

*rearview mirror that clips onto helmet
*removable fenders (...shut up, when you ride to work just after rain you'll understand)
*stronger cyclocomputer wire - damn thing breaks every time I go through brush - it's almost all electrical tape now.
*stronger headlamp - I have a Trek 4xAA battery model now, not safe for dark riding at speeds over 15 mph, plus it drains too fast. I want one of those $100 models with the rechargeable battery packs - about as bright as a car headlight on dim (safe for speeds up to 40 - and I usually try to cruise just over 25)

Old 13th July 2006, 06:30   #14
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Quote:
If you choose a rear suspension, remember, you lose 20-40% of your peddling power.
really now? i thought i was just out of shape...

Old 13th July 2006, 06:47   #15
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
i've been riding my bike for about 6 months and still think i'm out of shape. the rear suspension sucks and it makes the rear wheel bounce into the air if i hit a dip in the road too hard.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 06:51   #16
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

Another item to consider; bike bell (or other warning device). In some states (Maryland for one), they're mandatory (though often ignored). The only problem is the people walking on bike paths often have their Ipods cranked up and can't hear you anyway.
Old 13th July 2006, 07:00   #17
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

If that's the case, as you approach the ipod yuppie, increase your speed, extend your arm, grab the ipod, put it in your pocket, and speed off. That way, the person will be able to safely hear the next bell without the ipod's distraction. It's all about safety.

Old 13th July 2006, 10:45   #18
protegechris
Forum Queen

I'm going to use my Magna until I feel like spending $300-400 on a road bike.

I'm planning on adding just a few things to it, will obviously add more critical things on a nicer bike. Water bottle, minipump + tire patch kit.. I think I'll get a small piece of velcro to attach my MP3 player so I don't have to carry it in my pocket. It's not even as big as an ipod nano (just bigger than the size of my thumb).

Waiting on a reply from the bike company -- the bolt absolutely won't come out. I drilled through it.. and still.

yeah, i'm back.
Old 13th July 2006, 17:41   #19
Mattress
Forum King

depending on how thick the head of that bolt is you could try using a hacksaw to cut a notch into the face of it and then unscrew it with a screw driver?

Quote:
If you choose a rear suspension, remember, you lose 20-40% of your peddling power.
If the goal is to get excersize then this can be considered a good thing, yes?
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 19:28   #20
protegechris
Forum Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattress
depending on how thick the head of that bolt is you could try using a hacksaw to cut a notch into the face of it and then unscrew it with a screw driver?
Not a chance. I stripped it out loosening it -- I put the hex bit in my drill, tried with a hex screwdriver, a weird socket wrench attachment -- it absolutely will not budge. My uncle tightened the hell out of it previously trying to tighten it :-/

yeah, i'm back.
Old 13th July 2006, 20:38   #21
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

I am personally more into mountain biking, rather than touring (hence why I bought this beauty).

If you are looking at cycling as a simple means of excersise, then you probably dont need to spend that much on a bike at all, second hand will be good enough. For touring and road riding, you won't ever need rear suspension, and v brakes will always be good enough.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 21:25   #22
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I'm getting a mountain bike this weekend.
Why? Because I live in the mountains, silly.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 16:40   #23
Mattress
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by protegechris
Not a chance. I stripped it out loosening it -- I put the hex bit in my drill, tried with a hex screwdriver, a weird socket wrench attachment -- it absolutely will not budge. My uncle tightened the hell out of it previously trying to tighten it :-/
Freeze it with liquid nitrogen and tap it with a hammer. Or realisticaly use physics to your advantage. if you can cool down the bolt it will shrink and become looser? maybe?
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 23:30   #24
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

@ PC

Might be a little late, but...

Soak the bolt with WD-40 or some other brand of penetrating oil. It might make the thing loosen up.

@ Bilbo -

Gorgeous bike. I'd modify the biggest front sprocket though - looks small and "slow" - which is ideal for climbing, but not so hot for increasing speed beyond 30 mph or so when going downhill or on flats. Most of you know this but highest speeds are achieved when the back sprocket is smallest around 11 teeth, and the front is as large as possible)

A mountain bike that nice needs vertical hill climbing handlebar extensions too, and maybe a few first aid kits...

All those bike buyers - make sure it fits you or you'll hate riding.

Old 16th July 2006, 00:35   #25
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Yeah first aid kits probably would have been the most useful thing the other week, but I avoided the 20 foot drop and went round it. lol.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2006, 16:44   #26
protegechris
Forum Queen

I finally got a replacement stem from the manufacturer directly, no cost to me. I'm going to request they replace my kickstand too

I picked up a cyclocomputer, portable tire pump, and basic lock as well today.. hopefully I can go for a ride later, I've got to figure out how to program this neat little gadget.

yeah, i'm back.
Old 29th July 2006, 00:36   #27
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Kickstands should be left off if you plan on hitting lots of bumps.

Even the ones with the strongest 'holds' can come down on you when riding and cause a wreck by pole-valting you just enough for your tire to lose traction on a bumpy curve. There are other risks with them too, but that's the one I've always been afraid of.

Kickstands also add unnecessary weight, although to some people that's not really a concern.

I don't miss having one at all.

Glad to hear that your bike is finally fixed though.

Old 29th July 2006, 08:13   #28
protegechris
Forum Queen

I'm more outta shape than I thought Sadly unless I want to hit the major road I've got two residential streets I can ride up and down

I got hit by a car when I was young, kind of. I was riding in the grass and came to the entry for a dollar store (had a fence dividing the lot from the yard next to it).. there wasnt' a car I could see so I hopped down the curb and the car didn't stop to look around so they were just kind of zooming from the lot into the street, they clipped my rear wheel and spun me 180 degrees, I was about to fall off and somehow just hopped off the bike and of course they freaked out. It could have been much worse considering I didn't get hurt and they could have knocked me into traffic.

In Georgia, I went down a hill and my brakes failed, I tried leaning as far as I could (really steep hill), but I ended up going face first into a mailbox. I broke the wooden mount and dented it with my face. My babysitter (I was.. 12 maybe at the time) was driving down the street and told me what happened, I guess I passed out when I demolished a mailbox. I couldn't walk for 2 weeks because of the giant roadburns up and down my knees.

Even better, the guy came to the house demanding I give him the money to buy a new mailbox that same day

I guess you can tell why I don't like the main roads

yeah, i'm back.
Old 29th July 2006, 09:00   #29
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

glad to hear it, bicyclists riding in the road and not on the shoulder/sidewalk deserve to be hit even if they are capable of keeping up with traffic (which in my experience almost 0% are able).
if you ride your bike on a major road in the lanes (not counting the bike lane) i will assume you to be trying to cause an accident.

furthermore, i will not brake for a bicyclist who cannot keep up with my car.
that is all.

Old 29th July 2006, 19:32   #30
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

law says share the road

that is all

Old 30th July 2006, 00:31   #31
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

the law also says :
do not impede the flow of traffic.

Old 30th July 2006, 00:55   #32
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
The law states do not impede the flow of traffic unless there is not another place on the road to ride.

Cyclists are given the full usage rights of the road:

New York State Law, VAT Title 7 Article 34 Section 1231

Quote:
Traffic laws apply to persons riding bicycles or skating or
gliding on in-line skates. Every person riding a bicycle or skating or
gliding on in-line skates upon a roadway shall be granted all of the
rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the
driver of a vehicle by this title, except as to special regulations in
this article and except as to those provisions of this title which by
their nature can have no application.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2006, 00:58   #33
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

well... whatever the law is, and i'm not sure it's the same here either...

I WILL RUN YOU DOWN ON YOUR FUCKING BIKE IF YOU SLOW ME DOWN!

Old 30th July 2006, 02:23   #34
Bubba Smith
Major Dude

This is what I've been riding lately ...

The handlebars are a tad bit rusty but, boy!
This thing cooks! It can move!!
Nobody can catch me on this baby!
Bubba Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2006, 03:29   #35
sgtfuzzbubble011

O rly?

sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2006, 04:18   #36
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

Old 30th July 2006, 06:13   #37
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Is that the Viper engine?

If so I think I saw that at the Cleveland and Detroit International Auto Show.

Old 30th July 2006, 06:20   #38
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Is that the Bike from KA-ZAAM?

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2006, 18:39   #39
Razzinno
Piffle Producer

Quote:
Is that the Viper engine?
Yep.
Old 30th July 2006, 19:45   #40
Guest232

Quote:
Kickstands should be left off if you plan on hitting lots of bumps.

Even the ones with the strongest 'holds' can come down on you when riding and cause a wreck by pole-valting you just enough for your tire to lose traction on a bumpy curve. There are other risks with them too, but that's the one I've always been afraid of.

Kickstands also add unnecessary weight, although to some people that's not really a concern.

I don't miss having one at all.
I have to disagree. I have been riding bikes all my life and not once did my stand nor one of my friends' come down while hitting bumps and I assure you I/we hit many serious bumps in the past. The stand I have under my bike now sometimes moves a little bit, so you can just hear it jump back, but we're talking about an inch of movement and I don't think it would ever come down beyond the point of no return. Stands are really handy you know, although you can often find an alternative.

I have a, now about 6 years old, Cannondale by the way. It's a hybrid thing. I'm really happy with it, it's a superb bike and I use it intensively, for touring, mountainbiking as well as normal use in traffic. I can't find any information or photos of it on the net, but maybe I can take a picture of it one of these days. I don't have many accessories/mods on it, just things that had to be replaced because I abused "her" and things that came on it when I bought it (fenders, a rear rack, lock and lighting, but no water bottles, pump, cyclocomputer, tire kit, helmet, vertical handlebars etc.). Mods are not important to me, as long as the basics are good.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions