Old 3rd April 2011, 11:33   #1
Lemonguy

Song order not identical to the order in the folder.

Hello, this might be a bit nitpicking and an OCD-kind of question, but I get really annoyed since instead of making it easy it's just the same deal like the pre-customized Winamp.

I have finally finished customizing my Winamp and am using the Azenis2 skin along with the explorer option. However, when I right click on a folder and Play/Enqueque in Winamp or drag it into the playlist, the song order is not the same like it is in the folder.

Here's a picture to show you what I mean. Now, I'm a music fan and it annoys me when I concept album gets messed up like that, and I notice it after third song has passed since I usually study/draw/work while listening to music.

Is there any way to fix it? I tried sorting by path, by name (all my songs/albums have numbers before their titles in the names), dragging the folder, right clicking; only going into the folder, selecting everything then dragging it/enqueque works. Is it the skin perhaps?

Thanks in advance.
Lemonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 21:39   #2
DrO

you generally have to click / drag the first item for it in Explorer inorder for it to be added in the correct order - is sort of how Explorer provides things to Winamp as the order in the playlist is the order in which it received the filepaths.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:16   #3
lostinsound

If you're right clicking on a folder to enqueue the tracks, the reason they're out of order is because of the way you have the files named. If you name them instead like this:

01 - The National - Fake Empire.mp3
02 - The National - Mistaken For Strangers.mp3
12 - The National - Gospel.mp3

with the leading zero on single digit track numbers, it queues them in the right order.

Alternatively, you can go to Preferences -> Playlist and check the box that says "When loading multiple files, sort files by name" and it should queue them in the order you want.

I prefer the first way because then they always get queued correctly no matter what. I've always thought this was a little bizarre because I'm not sure how it's sorting them when you have that box unchecked. It looks like it puts all the songs starting with 1 first, followed by tracks starting with 2, then tracks starting with 3 and so on, so you get them in the order 1,10,11,12,2,3,4... for your case. That seems more like sorting by name to me. Ah well, the mysteries of windows.
lostinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:20   #4
DrO

the filenames have not much to do with it in this case as per looking at the screenshot which clearly showed the files in the correct order and in that scenario, the first selected item when doing the enqueue determines the order Winamp is then getting the files from Explorer i.e. doing it on the first item when using the right-click menu will add them in the order found which has held true for many years and many Winamp versions.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:53   #5
lostinsound

Actually I tested it out and it happens exactly how I said in my first post. To be clear, I'm talking about right clicking on the folder to enqueue everything in the folder, NOT going into the folder, selecting all the tracks and then right clicking to enqueue. The OP said he was right clicking on the folder, so that was what I was addressing. For that case, if you have the leading zero on the filenames, it enqueues them correctly, if you don't it puts them out of order like I described (unless you check the box in the preferences like I also described). This happens even though in Windows explorer it lists them in the correct track order. If I go into the folder and select all files and enqueue them it does what you described. But I don't think that is what the OP was doing.
Old 6th April 2011, 14:35   #6
Lemonguy

Thanks, lost, it worked! I just tested both methods also; I have one album with 01, 02, etc. in front of track names -> it loads in the order that is in the folder when i click-and-drag from the explorer. I checked the box in the preferences, so now it lists the folders with only 1, 2, etc. in the correct order.

Thanks a lot, both of you. Pre-listening phase just got faster and more enjoyable.
Lemonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 16:32   #7
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Alphabetic Sorting of numbers - the old classic.

In future, when ripping tracks using Winamp, you can force it to always use two digit numbers in the file names by making sure it looks something like: <Artist>\<Album>\## - <Trackartist> - <Title>

Those two hash signs tells winamp to always write filenames with two digits - automatically padding the zero as required.

No quick way to rename all your old tracks though... that is going to be a slow game of working through everything track by track.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 18:14   #8
lostinsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
No quick way to rename all your old tracks though... that is going to be a slow game of working through everything track by track.
I've found that mp3tag works really well for renaming a lot of files at once. It has a nice feature that lets you convert tags to filenames, and you can set it so it always puts a leading zero for single digit tracks. You can select many files at once and change them en masse.
Old 6th April 2011, 18:22   #9
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Ah - of course - MP3tag. Forgot how clever that Swiss Army Knife of tagging is. One of those bits of software that should be in everyone's toolbox.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support