Old 28th August 2001, 23:53   #1
Carmagio
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Carmagio
Ignorance

Are there any Americans that could name Canada's provinces, capitals, prime minister etc.......

The only reason I ask is because, I recently met an american couple who fit the the typical canadian's picture of an american (i was hopeful they didn't exist)

They thought driving over the bluewater bridge would bring them to a magical land of snow, they couldn't name any canadian cities or provinces (except for ontario, which was where they entered.

Please help me debunk this canadian myth
Carmagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2001, 00:10   #2
Lain
Major Dudette

Send a message via AIM to Lain
well... I'm pretty much a typical canadian's view of an american. I know that canada isn't a magical land of snow, but I can't name any of the provinces but I can name some cities, Montreal, Quebec, Winnipeg, Toronto, that pretty much it. It's just I never hear about canada, nobody that I know really talks about it unless they're taking a trip there, and I live in New York!
Lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2001, 00:13   #3
mr_sax
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to mr_sax
hey i live in vancouver and that's like second from Toronto in size me thinks

mr_sax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2001, 00:26   #4
SNYder
Forum King

What is Canada? Is it near LA?
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2001, 00:36   #5
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Canada? What country is that in?

Hey, I know Canada! That's the town where all them hockey players go to learn to play.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2001, 00:37   #6
chiquita chad
Forum King

canada isnt even a country anymore. its the 51st state of the US. puerto rico has more power than canada.

/end sarcasm

Artist Track
chiquita chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2001, 00:38   #7
Nofx Guy
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nofx Guy
hmm i'm from canada and the funny thing is, us canadians know lots about the states, we learn about it in school, we learn about all the states. we learn about there history , and you americans learn shit all about canada. hmm kinda strange dont you think?

not ment to be flame towards americans

and the worst part about it, alot of americans call down canada, they have no respect for us, if you dont believe me just read a few issues of PC Gamer or watch any comedy show, or any show for that matter. why is it that they think of us as second class citizens, like were all back country hicks or sumthin. we no different than you americans except we live in a different country, well there is one difference, were smarter! hehehe no seriously it has been proven, i read an article about a study in an american magazine, where they got 20 canadians and 20 americans and they gave them a general test on many different subjects, and as a whole the canadians scored better than an americans. anyways thats my two bits, and this is not ment to be a flame towards americans so please dont flame me, and i respect americans (hell i am one) and i dont think there "dumb" or anything i just think it would be better if they were taught more about canada in school so they wouldnt get a bad rep with canadians.

www.audioflo.ath.cx
All music, All the Time
Nofx Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2001, 00:39   #8
BeerBaron

Send a message via ICQ to BeerBaron Send a message via AIM to BeerBaron
i learned about canadian history and geology in hs, but im american, we dont remember shit.

Sympathy, prayer... Crew of the space Shuttle Columbia, do i need to say more?
BeerBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2001, 00:44   #9
Lain
Major Dudette

Send a message via AIM to Lain
Yeah, I learned about canada in like elementary school, but I forgot most of it.
Lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2001, 00:49   #10
SNYder
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Nofx Guy
where they got 20 canadians and 20 americans and they gave them a general test on many different subjects
To get a poll that would actually be considered atleast slightly acurate, you'd need toget atleast 1000 people from different backgrounda, different races, etc to take the test.
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2001, 01:19   #11
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
canada? wasnt that a country we fought in that one war?

s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2001, 01:43   #12
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

and... what. some 75% of canadians live 1 hour from the us boarder? sorta shows which country is doing better. we do study your history, but its just another bit of useless information we dont need to know. so we zone it out.

when i went to toronto about a month ago.. all i saw was american jokes.. how americans are stupid.. and ignorant. it seems that americans obsess over the differences less. much less.

but it irks me. there are some REAL stupid americans. real real stupid. and also... ones that really appear as tourists. they go to canada, and try to spend american money. when you're on our side of the border, do you seen signs "your canadian dollar is worth $x.xx american"? no.

I'd like to meet a mad man who makes it all seem sane
To work out all these troubles and what there is to gain
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2001, 01:57   #13
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

i dont think that many americans would easily fit in their common canadian stereotype, but i’ve not met them all and cant say for sure. the only thing that might fit most that call the u.s. home would be the thing about us being slightly "less smart" and its not that were at all stupid or incapable of being intelligent, its just that for the most part we don’t really care. (even if we did learn about canada we couldn’t tell you as much, most don’t remember where they came from, and can only name the cities that overlap theirs ::me:: ) but don’t tell that to a unitedstatesian's face, they might spit at you. however, every canadian i’ve meet seems proud to fit the common mold that us americans set out for them; once brought about in conversation they begin to use "eh.." quite abundantly even if ive known them not to in the past. i think that canada, like many other normal countries, has more proud-full citizens; therefore, they're more confident and careful of the things they do and say. (in reference to the intelligence poll) and if given the chance to open up some "whoop ass" americans can compete edge-wise in any category as well. americans are pretty normal...but only to other americans.

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2001, 02:00   #14
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

I used to drive an 18-wheeler from California to Toronto,
hauling produce.
Sometimes to Montreal.

Anywhere in Ontario the people were great.
Anywhere in Quebec the people hated everybody else
but themselves, including other Canadians.

But what really baffled me was that to go
into Canada didn't cost me anything.
But I had to pay to get back into my own country.
What's up with that?
papadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2001, 02:16   #15
Carmagio
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by s1138
yeah, you sacked york, we burned down your white house in retaliation, end result, canada won.
Old 29th August 2001, 04:25   #16
Nofx Guy
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by s1138
yeah the war of 1860 or sumthin like that, and i'm sorry to say we beat you, yeah it sounds odd but we did, but then again we had the brits help us, as we werent our own country yet, we were still a british state ( well not "state" as in american state, but under british rule)

www.audioflo.ath.cx
All music, All the Time
Old 29th August 2001, 04:39   #17
Nofx Guy
Major Dude

yeah we hate all the people in quebec to, those snotty little frogs!! hehe nah there cool, but really annoying and whinny, they complain about everything, okay they even have sign police, there is this law in quebec that a french sign has to be double the size of the same sign in english, so there are all these wanna be cops that actually go out and measure these signs, right to the very millimeter to make sure there double the size of its english counterpart.

god and they still want to seperate to, just because there french, and they have no other reason to seperate

Quote:
origianlly posted by ice
and... what. some 75% of canadians live 1 hour from the us boarder sorta shows which country is doing better
it has nuthing to do which country is doing better, most of these cities like toronto originally (york , i think), quebec, montreal were established before there were even the countries called canada and the US. they were established way the hell back when people first started moving to NA, therefore they got really large because they have been there forever, then when the borders came, it just so happened that these places were really close to the border, not because the US is better and all canadians want to live close to it, you have to look way back buddy, dont concentrate on current times, most of our population is within 75% of the US border is because most people in canada have always lived in that region, before borders!
think before you say something, you have to know the history!! but i guess you wouldnt have known that anyways because your american and everything you learn about canada is forgotten, because its not important.
Quote:
originally posted by ice
we do study your history, but its just another bit of useless informatio
by the way this is not intended to be a flame, it is not supposed to sound mad or angry, i am just filling you in on the things you forgot to think about when you made that statement

www.audioflo.ath.cx
All music, All the Time
Old 29th August 2001, 04:43   #18
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to griffinn
Theorem: In order to remember something, first you have to care about it.

The smiley slot machine! | Quotable Blog
griffinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2001, 06:13   #19
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Curi0us_George Send a message via Yahoo to Curi0us_George
Ok, every modern country learns a great deal about America. Every country needs to know a bit about America. Face it, most countries depend on a great deal more than we depend on them. Not all countries, of course, but most. At the same time, our elementary through high schools are some of the worst in the world. Also, we are a bit conceited (not as bad as the French, of course), and convinced that we don't need to know about anythng other than ourselves.

So: We don't want to know about other countries, we don't need to know about other countries, and none of our teachers want us to know anything about other countries.

Is it any wonder why we don't know anything about other countries?
Curi0us_George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2001, 06:16   #20
Azrael0077

I usually just lurk in here, but after seeing this thread I had to post something. I am so sick of everyone coming down on us Americans. I've noticed that a lot of hostility towards Americans comes from the Canadians. They say we are lazy, stupid, poor, etc... I just wanted to share an article about Americans by a Canadian. Hopefully, it will make you think, and not be so narrow-minded.

America: The Good Neighbor.

Widespread but only partial news coverage was given recently to a remarkable editorial broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television commentator. What follows is the full text of his trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional Record:

This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth.

Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of these countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes. Nobody helped.

The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent, warmongering Americans.

I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the International lines except Russia fly American Planes?

Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy, and you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy, and you find men on the moon-not once, but several times- and safely home again.

You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everybody to look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke.

I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.

Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those.

Stand proud, America!

Wear it proudly!!

At least there is someone who can truly see the good in what Americans are capable of doing. Go ahead call us stupid, egotistical, barbaric, etc... When the time comes, let's just see who your people will call when you really need help.
Azrael0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2001, 06:31   #21
Anacific
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Anacific
I live in igloo

"He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence." - William Blake
WSPA | WWF | RSPCA | AAPA | Green Peace - Know and help...
The Rainforest Site | The Animal Rescue Site - Click and help...
Anacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2001, 06:32   #22
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Curi0us_George Send a message via Yahoo to Curi0us_George
It's been said that the best thing for a country's economy is to lose a war to the U.S. We'll rebuid it better than it ever was. Truthfully, I think we, as a country, should tell everyone else to go screw themselves. We've probably given money to every country in the world, with no expectations of ever getting it back.

We've done more for others than anyone has ever done for us. The only real help we got during the American Revolution was from the French, and even that was late, when we probably would have won anyway.

Ours is a country not derived from a Monarchy which gave up its power or was overturned. Ours is a country that fought for its independence and won it. Ours is a country that has done a great deal of injustice to several groups of people (including the Indians, pre-civil war Blacks, et al), but we've probably done more good than any other country, too. Every country has done wrong to others at some point, but none can claim as much help for others as ours.
Old 29th August 2001, 11:02   #23
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I have a question for you canucks:

Where is your awesome food?
Our mexican neigbors to the south gave us great food, now where's yours?
Old 29th August 2001, 11:16   #24
Carmagio
Major Dude

icecube sandwiches......... barbequed polar bear...............

Actually, Canada's is comprised of people of different nationalities. Canada is still relatively young, so many of it's residents still remember some of their heritage, ergo, the food served in Canada is a mix of foods from around the world. I believe it's the same in the United States as well.
Old 29th August 2001, 16:31   #25
Curi0us_George
Forum King

There's not a whole lot of truly American food. Cajun is American. I think it's the only "genre" of food that is entirely American.

The French Fry and the Potato Chip are both American. Pizza is actually an American food, too. So, when you go into an Italian restaurant, you can them that Pizza isn't theirs, and never was. We've created a lot of foods, but we just don't have a genre of food (ie: Mexican, Thai, et al). We are basically the junk food creators.
Old 30th August 2001, 03:39   #26
Nofx Guy
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Curi0us_George
Pizza is actually an American food, too. So, when you go into an Italian restaurant, you can them that Pizza isn't theirs, and never was.
sorry man but the pizza was created in Greece way back when , it has been around for longer than the US has been an country , the first pizza was created for the queen of some small Euorpean country that visited Greece. It was called pizza margarita, because the Queens name was margarita, it was only a crust with tomatoe sauce and cheese. the first crusts were also made out of potatoe, not flour as they are today. I hate to prove you wrong but i had to do a project on pizze for a course last year so i know all this shit.

www.audioflo.ath.cx
All music, All the Time
Old 30th August 2001, 03:48   #27
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

you forgot to mention it was originally square
InvisableMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2001, 03:57   #28
Nofx Guy
Major Dude

i didnt think that piece of info would be required to prove to him that pizza never came from the US, but atleast theres another person who knows the true origin of pizza, and man potatoe pizza is nasty shit, ever try it?

www.audioflo.ath.cx
All music, All the Time
Old 30th August 2001, 04:03   #29
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Well, apparently the modern pizza was not created by the immigrant Gennaro Lombardi, as I had been informed. He is the man responsible for making it world famous, though. He brought it to America.

The pizza is not a greek dish, however. The Greeks ate a flat bread filled with spices, but it didn't have cheese or tomato. In fact, the Egyptions ate a similar dish several thousand years before.

The "modern" pizza was created by Rafaele Esposito, from Naples, Italy. He made it for the Queen Margherita (Spanish Queen), who apparently loved it, partly because it had the Italian colors (Bread-White, Basil-Green, Tomato-red). Depending on the source, Esposito may be credited for making pizza famous.

In any event, it is not an American dish. You are correct, sort of.

Edit: Oops, I called her the Spanish queen. She was the Italian queen, of course.
Old 30th August 2001, 04:14   #30
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

really? i thought it was the round table "pizza pizza" dood that brought it to america..

and yes i have tryed it before.. its pretty nasty, just add bbq sauce, makes it a litta mo bettah
InvisableMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2001, 04:33   #31
Nofx Guy
Major Dude

curious george, yeah man i got like everything wrong, except for the fact pizza was invented not in the US, anyways i tried, sorta got some stuff right, i lied i never did a project on pizza , i got all that stuff from wild on, on E. they did an episode on the mediterannian, and Jules was in search for the perfect pizza, i tried remembering eveything i could about there stuff, but obviously i fuxored stuff up, i'm ashamed of myself now......

*walks away hands covering face crying and shaking head , why GOD < WHY!!!!*

www.audioflo.ath.cx
All music, All the Time
Old 30th August 2001, 05:17   #32
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Hehe, I saw that one too, but I didn't really listen to anything they said. I did notice that the pizza she ate at the end of the show looked like crap, though.

I use internet searches.
Old 30th August 2001, 05:59   #33
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
We made the hotdog and the hamburger... 2 American greats!

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2001, 06:33   #34
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
code:

* * * * * *IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
* * * * * IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Wheee!!!!!

im not even gonna TRY for the blue field...

Old 30th August 2001, 06:45   #35
Anacific
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Anacific
code:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXW WXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX
WXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX A XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXW
XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXW AWA WXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX
WXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX AA AWXWA AA XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXW
XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXW VWXWXWXWXWV WXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX
WXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX AA VWXWXWXWV AA XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXW
XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXW VWXWXWXA VWXWXWV AXWXWXWV WXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX
WXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXW
XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXW AXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXA WXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX
WXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX VXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXV XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXW
XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXW VXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXV WXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX
WXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX XWXWXWXWXWXWX XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXW
XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXW AXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXA WXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX
WXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX I XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXW
XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXW I WXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX
WXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX I XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXW
XWXWXWXWXWXWXWXW WXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX
-------------------------------------------------------------------
by Normand Veilleux

"He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence." - William Blake
WSPA | WWF | RSPCA | AAPA | Green Peace - Know and help...
The Rainforest Site | The Animal Rescue Site - Click and help...
Anacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2001, 07:12   #36
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

That actually looks pretty damn good..

code:

#
#########
###############
###################
#####################
#########################
###########################
#############################
###############################
#################################
###################################
#####################################
#######################################
#########################################
#################################
#############################
###########################
#########################
#####################
###################
###############
#########
#

Anyone from Japan?

Old 30th August 2001, 07:56   #37
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to griffinn
Japanese?
code:
Y Y OOO U U H H A V V EEEEE
Y Y O O U U H H A A V V E
Y O O U U HHHHH A A V V EEEE
Y O O U U H H AAAAA V V E
Y OOO UUU H H A A V EEEEE

N N OOO CCCC H H A N N CCCC EEEEE
NN N O O C H H A A NN N C E
N N N O O C HHHHH A A N N N C EEEE
N NN O O C H H AAAAA N NN C E
N N OOO CCCC H H A A N N CCCC EEEEE

TTTTT OOO SSSS U U RRRR V V III V V EEEEE
T O O S U U R R V V I V V E
T O O SSS U U RRRR V V I V V EEEE
T OOO SSSS UUU R R V III V EEEEE

M M A K K EEEEE Y Y OOO U U RRRR
MM MM A A K K E Y Y O O U U R R
M M M A A KK EEEE Y O O U U RRRR
M M M AAAAA K K E Y O O U U R R
M M A A K K EEEEE Y OOO UUU R R

TTTTT III M M EEEEE
T I MM MM E
T I M M M EEEE
T I M M M E
T I M M EEEEE

The smiley slot machine! | Quotable Blog
griffinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2001, 08:27   #38
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by griffinn
Japanese?
code:
Y Y OOO U U H H A V V EEEEE
Y Y O O U U H H A A V V E
Y O O U U HHHHH A A V V EEEE
Y O O U U H H AAAAA V V E
Y OOO UUU H H A A V EEEEE

N N OOO CCCC H H A N N CCCC EEEEE
NN N O O C H H A A NN N C E
N N N O O C HHHHH A A N N N C EEEE
N NN O O C H H AAAAA N NN C E
N N OOO CCCC H H A A N N CCCC EEEEE

TTTTT OOO SSSS U U RRRR V V III V V EEEEE
T O O SSS U U RRRR V V I V V EEEE
T OOO SSSS UUU R R V III V EEEEE

M M A K K EEEEE Y Y OOO U U RRRR
MM MM A A K K E Y Y O O U U R R
M M M A A KK EEEE Y O O U U RRRR
M M M AAAAA K K E Y O O U U R R
M M A A K K EEEEE Y OOO UUU R R

TTTTT III M M EEEEE
T I MM MM E
T I M M M EEEE
T I M M M E
T I M M EEEEE

code:

# # # # ## ####### # # ### # #
# # # # # ## # # # # # # #
# # # # # # # # # # # # # #
# # # # ###### # # # # # # # # #
# # # # # # ###### # # # # # #
# # # # # # # # # # # #
# # # # # # # # ### ####

### ## # # # #
# # ## # # # #
# # # # # # #
### # # # # # #
# ###### # # #
# # # # #
### # # # # #

Old 30th August 2001, 13:23   #39
Carmagio
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4_Gogitta
We made the hotdog and the hamburger... 2 American greats!

I think the hamburger is a german invention

Every advance in knowledge brings us closer to the mystery of our own being....
Old 30th August 2001, 13:55   #40
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Why? Because it's named after Hamburg, Germany?

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich, definately American!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions