Old 26th May 2006, 14:00   #41
retchless

I'm having trouble with In2TV. I've performed a clean install of Winamp 5.22 on my work machine and home machine, and neither will play any of the In2TV streams. I choose a show, it says [connecting] in the main window, then Winamp disappears... on both of my machines. Can you reproduce?

Pentium IV 3Ghz, Athlon 1.3GHz
1 GB RAM
Windows XP SP2
Winamp 5.22 (clean install)
retchless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 14:18   #42
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

What country are you in? In2TV is U.S. only.
I'm in UK, and it doesn't work for me either (all I get is ads)

Other than that, I'm not sure, but it's possibly some problem with your system's Windows Media codecs or in_wm config, or some 3rd-party plugin...? (see Benski's post below).
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 14:57   #43
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by colorspace
I noticed this line when reading Winamp.com's Feature Comparison : "New in Pro! Rip to HE-AAC at >128k bitrate!".

Why would anyone want to use HE-AAC at ≥96k bitrate? LC-AAC would be a smarter choice.
That's high-bitrate aacPlus which works differently from regular HE-AAC (LC-AAC part is 44.1kHz, SBR is only used for frequencies above its lowpass (16kHz iirc)).

Whether it has any real advantages over LC-AAC (and at what bitrates) is another question though.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 14:59   #44
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by retchless
I'm having trouble with In2TV. I've performed a clean install of Winamp 5.22 on my work machine and home machine, and neither will play any of the In2TV streams. I choose a show, it says [connecting] in the main window, then Winamp disappears... on both of my machines. Can you reproduce?

Pentium IV 3Ghz, Athlon 1.3GHz
1 GB RAM
Windows XP SP2
Winamp 5.22 (clean install)
Are you using Audioscrobbler? There is a known compatability issue with it and in2tv.
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 15:03   #45
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

For those experiencing problems with losing playlists, here is a new version of ml_playlists.dll. Download and copy to your Plugins folder.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ml_playlists.zip (27.9 KB, 586 views)
Old 26th May 2006, 16:02   #46
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

Send a message via ICQ to martin.deimos Send a message via AIM to martin.deimos Send a message via Yahoo to martin.deimos
layer problems:

<layer> with image="" or image="" setted via maki will now return a pink layer, not a empty one!
please fix in the next release!

try vortex beta 0.99 (modern skins forum) to see what i mean

WebSite: www.skinconsortium.com - Community for Userinterface Design & Coding
Skins: Click Here
martin.deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 16:32   #47
gordol

Re: Re: Re: Winamp 5.22 Released

Quote:
Originally posted by will
Using several screenshots from ml_pmp (or otherwise) could I have a list of all the songs on your zen, and a list of those which get synched twice please.
Not sure what that will accomplish that my description doesn't, but ok...

Sorry about the dimensions of the screen shots. I tried reducing them, but that rendered them illegible.

Media library showing the view of contents that will be synched:
http://www.gordol.org/images/ml_cartunes.png

Media library showing the contents of the Zen after a clean-slate sync. The sync settings and the "Cartunes" view have the same query string, so they should always show the same media after a sync.
http://www.gordol.org/images/ml_zen-1st_sync.png

After unplugging the Zen, Zen showing how many tracks are installed. It's set to random-play the entire library (massive jukebox method). Note that according to Winamp, there are 3218 tracks, and according to the Zen, there are 3216:
http://www.gordol.org/images/zen_contents.png

I sync again, and it queues up a few dozen items already on the Zen. This screen shot is about a half-minute into the second sync:
http://www.gordol.org/images/ml_2nd-sync.png

I aborted the second sync and checked the media library showing the contents of the Zen. Note the duplicate entries:
http://www.gordol.org/images/ml_zen-2nd_sync.png

Is there anything else you need?

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
Img links changed to url's to preserve table width
gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 16:32   #48
OlexijL

Send a message via AIM to OlexijL Send a message via Yahoo to OlexijL
Winamp 5.22

Hello,

Found missed file winampmb.htm. Please fix it. Looked better if no connection available or dialup only.

Olexijl
OlexijL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 16:46   #49
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@ OlexijL

Alas, winampmb.htm is no longer used.

Sure, it was a very useful feature, eg. for creating your own personalized winampmb.htm which would be used for the minibrowser/Now Playing when 'not connected to the internet' was selected in Prefs.

hopefully, and afaik, the use of winampmb.htm will be re-implemented at some point (maybe for 5.23) ?!
Old 26th May 2006, 17:49   #50
gordol

Quote:
gordol: Try the attached fix (unzip to winamp\plugins folder)
Nope, still doing it. Fewer of them are being duped each time, but it's still duping. And it seems like always the same ones.
Old 26th May 2006, 17:53   #51
CPingN

Egg, what's the purpose of the sonic engine? What is gained by using it?
CPingN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 18:03   #52
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

gordol: try removing the ' from 'Till Tuesday and see if that helps.

actually i'm determined to find this bug, so if you could PM me your username on AIM, MSN or Jabber so I can try and debug this with you.

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 18:09   #53
osmosis
Major Dude

many thanks on the quick update for ml_playlists everything seems to be working great again.

a couple little things that have occurred to me in the last day of using/testing: when adding folders of playlists, the playlists used to be named the same as the actual .m3u filename, but now they draw their name from folder it resides in. this isn't always desirable. i have a number of 2cd rips that are divided into CD1 and CD2 subdirs, so the playlists are called that.. and also if there are several playlists in a folder, they all get the same name. the foldername is a good idea, i like it for the majority of playlists since it cuts out all the 00- from the beginning, etc. but i'd like better handling of subfolders and multiple playlists. not sure how to strike a compromise there, but it would at least be nice to have the option to make it use filenames again.

another thing that proved annoying, is that i couldn't figure out how to disable specific online services anymore.. is there a dialog for that still?

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 18:12   #54
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
another thing that proved annoying, is that i couldn't figure out how to disable specific online services anymore.. is there a dialog for that still?
Seems to be a server side problem. The option to check/uncheck the services is not visible and if you click in the empty space a script error comes.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 18:14   #55
buzzkill

I am not losing playlist but when I import a playlist from a file it does not use the proper file name,it calls all imported playlists "My Playlist"

The above patch does not fix this
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 18:15   #56
osmosis
Major Dude

ah.. glad that it's not my end and is something that can be fixed without downloading more. for now, i've edited the ml_online.ini and made it read-only. it'll only attempt to add the undesirable providers back if i click on the heading Online Media. but it can't, cause it's read only, and even though it shows more temporarily, once i restart winamp, it's back to the ones i put in the ini.

another thing i just noticed: i'd love if it remembered that my ML Playlists tree was collapsed when i close winamp. there're 300+, i'd like it to remain collapsed until i want it and not have to collapse it every time winamp is restarted.

@Buzzkill: that's probably because all your playlists are in a folder called My Playlists, so it's the same issue i was describing above in my previous post.

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 18:22   #57
buzzkill

Thanks Oz ...sheesh I can't even read two posts above mine,
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 18:39   #58
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by CPingN
Egg, what's the purpose of the sonic engine? What is gained by using it?
It is used solely for CD burning & ripping. Burning will not work at all if the Sonic Engine isn't present (the sonic file paths/names are listed here), though ripping will still work if you use aspi instead. There are probably also a few other benefits, such as Drive information won't be shown in Rip & Burn view if Sonic Engine isn't present.

@ osmosis & buzzkill

Yup, it's using the containing dir to name the playlists (on import from folder).
Another fixed ml_playlists.dll will hopefully be available shortly.
Thanks.

Re: Online Services
All those issues are serverside, not clientside.
Old 26th May 2006, 18:46   #59
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Yup, it's using the containing dir to name the playlists (on import from folder).
Another fixed ml_playlists.dll will hopefully be available shortly.
Here it is.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ml_playlists.zip (27.8 KB, 1098 views)
Old 26th May 2006, 20:05   #60
gordol

Quote:
gordol: try removing the ' from 'Till Tuesday and see if that helps.
Ok, done. No difference to the problem. Also, now that I've essentially deleted a track from the Winamp library, I see that it's not synching at all, it's merely copying over. It did not remove the original file, it merely added the new one.
Quote:
actually i'm determined to find this bug, so if you could PM me your username on AIM, MSN or Jabber so I can try and debug this with you.
Done. I'm on AIM and Y!.

Oh, and the ratings aren't making it, either.
Old 26th May 2006, 20:47   #61
shon3i

Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
That's high-bitrate aacPlus which works differently from regular HE-AAC (LC-AAC part is 44.1kHz, SBR is only used for frequencies above its lowpass (16kHz iirc)).

Whether it has any real advantages over LC-AAC (and at what bitrates) is another question though.
Using SBR @ >96kbps only destroys signal, he-high is totality same as HE-AAC only have 88.2 instead 44.1 khz. Using higer rates+sbr have sense only with multichannel (5.1) encoding. Is there any news in enc_aacplus or same encoder like winamp 5.21

BTW, i asked in some post and i not sure in what forum about this winamp strange equalizer, because i load some preset and that preset only good sound's for mp3, for other types sound whrose why?

PS. equilizer must sounds like foobar 0.9

Thanks.
shon3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 20:58   #62
gaekwad2
Foorum King

The way I understand it is that High Bitrate aacPlus acts as if the input was 88.2kHz, that way you can have LC at 44.1 plus SBR.

Afaik the encoder is the same as in 5.21.

Re equalizer: That's caused by the fast layer 3 eq which works differently than the regular PCM eq used for other formats (can be disabled via in_mp3 preferences).
Old 26th May 2006, 21:11   #63
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

I've fixed the Sync'ing duplicate tracks bug, attached is the fix.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ml_pmp.zip (46.8 KB, 2134 views)

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 21:27   #64
gordol

Quote:
I've fixed the Sync'ing duplicate tracks bug, attached is the fix.
Yay! No more duplicate tracks!
Old 26th May 2006, 21:41   #65
shon3i

Quote:
The way I understand it is that High Bitrate aacPlus acts as if the input was 88.2kHz, that way you can have LC at 44.1 plus SBR.

Afaik the encoder is the same as in 5.21.

Re equalizer: That's caused by the fast layer 3 eq which works differently than the regular PCM eq used for other formats (can be disabled via in_mp3 preferences).
Thanks for eqalizer now everything sounds good.
About aac. I don't know did you try this new nero cli encoder, but main developer Ivan Dimkovic on HydrogenAudio forums say that SBR on high rates only can degrade signal, but i belive like SBR is optimised to use only with low rates can be optimised to use in high rates, aslo think that this CodingTechnologies HE-AAC High not use same algorithm like standard SBR like HE-AAC (aacPlus v1) which used by nero encoder, aslo i think Coding technologies is better than this new nero encoder and any case, but listeners are prove something different on HydrogenAudio.org forum. Nero now have VBR, ABR, CBR, 2-pass ABR encoding but not better than CT CBR
Old 26th May 2006, 22:16   #66
gaekwad2
Foorum King

I haven't yet seriously compared both encoders (in doubt I'd go with the one that offers VBR though ).

And I'm fairly sure Ivan Dimkovic was referring to 'normal' HE-AAC, High Bitrate aacPlus (at least in theory) can use SBR in a way that doesn't degrade the signal.
The Nero developers tried using it as well and didn't find it worth the additional CPU load but who knows, the CT devs might have found a way to make it perform better than LC-AAC.
Old 26th May 2006, 22:58   #67
shon3i

Quote:
I haven't yet seriously compared both encoders (in doubt I'd go with the one that offers VBR though ).

And I'm fairly sure Ivan Dimkovic was referring to 'normal' HE-AAC, High Bitrate aacPlus (at least in theory) can use SBR in a way that doesn't degrade the signal.
The Nero developers tried using it as well and didn't find it worth the additional CPU load but who knows, the CT devs might have found a way to make it perform better than LC-AAC.
Sorry for offtopic, SBR can be used only in one way like Joint Stereo, encoder make decision to use SBR or not, and this works perfectly, like now Joint Stereo is good (but i think is unless at higer rates and can only make degradation) aslo think that SBR can be good too, but Nero team work some test on HA.org forum with old nero encoder wich have aslo HE-AAC high encoder and find that ins't useful, like aslo LC-AAC below 96 not good without Intesivity Stereo, but and Intesivity Stereo is not good at all. Well SBR reconstruct ligh frequncyes against of low frequncyes, so teoreticly only can be degradation, but in practice who know. Only way to SBR help is that low SBR frames and use more LC, like Joint stereto works with high rates.
Old 27th May 2006, 00:58   #68
niktheguru

yo benski et al, thanks for fixing the media library allowing for correct usage in windows vista! Now i can use winamp to its full potential in vista!! good stuff! ;-)

Nikhil

Last edited by niktheguru; 27th May 2006 at 01:44.
niktheguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 10:32   #69
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

I'd like to think that the nero guys know their stuff, and obviously, their results are based on a lot of trial and error testing of different encoding methods to get the best.

Of course, I think the same of coding technologies.

So really, i dont know what to say, other than, at least we have choice.

Of course, Winamp doesnt come as a 120mb bundle, and sadly, I've had nothing but problems with the nero CLI encoder (just cannot ever seem to get it to encode pcm from stdin without crashing). So i know which of the two im likely to use more.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 12:48   #70
amano
Major Dude

Quote:
*Cough, Cough*
Any chance to have the default setting at some point?
*/Cough*

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
amano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 14:03   #71
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by amano
*Cough, Cough*
Any chance to have the default setting at some point?
*/Cough*
Good call.
Old 27th May 2006, 16:48   #72
amano
Major Dude

*Cough*
Thanks

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
amano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 12:58   #73
BoyNG

Send a message via ICQ to BoyNG
1 open Winamp
2 open Preference
3 open out_ds.dll Configure
4 then close Winamp (Alt+F4 for example)
5 You see crash
BoyNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 14:33   #74
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
unicows under Win ME?

I am using Win ME and for the previous versions of Winamp, there was a unicows.dll located in the Winamp folder.

In another thread DJEgg mentioned that unicows is now replaced by nscrt.dll. But the first post in THIS thread states that some functions are "rerouted through unicows". I am a little bit confused about what that means.

Does this mean that I can delete unicows.dll?

Thanks for your support.
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 14:55   #75
Squadman

Send a message via AIM to Squadman
Quote:
Originally posted by BoyNG
1 open Winamp
2 open Preference
3 open out_ds.dll Configure
4 then close Winamp (Alt+F4 for example)
5 You see crash
I can reproduce that. But, I have to open Winamp again for the crash to occur.
Squadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 15:06   #76
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmm, I can't. There's no crash here.

[edit] Hmm, just realised I was using a copy/2nd instance of out_ds as out_ds2 (to make it use/load in_wm's built-in directsound output only as and when required, ie. for wma/wmv playback only).

I'll try to reproduce it again later, just using the 1 instance of out_ds... [/edit]

@ kzuse

afaik, yes, you can delete unicows.dll, because it's now inside nscrt.dll
(nscrt.dll = msvcr71.dll & unicows.lib)

To be on the safe side, rename it to unicows.dll.off first.
If there's no problems after a few days, then you can safely delete it.

[EDIT]

Important: Please disregard this.
unicows.dll is still required under Win9x/ME.
Further explained here.
Old 28th May 2006, 15:44   #77
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
I can reproduce that. But, I have to open Winamp again for the crash to occur.
Cannot reproduce.
Old 28th May 2006, 16:00   #78
Squadman

Send a message via AIM to Squadman
It definetly crashes for me. BTW, I don't Alt-F4 it, I right click the Winamp icon in the taskbar and 'Exit'. It crashes after.

EDIT: Strangely enough, my Global Hotkeys don't work after the crash.

I have to go to the Global Hotkeys preferences and basically click one of them, like you would to bring a window into view.
They then work after that...

Squadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 16:27   #79
lexel

What's wrong with me? About modern skin tooltip.

I've translated the modern skin into Chinese, and it works well in Winamp 5.21 or before. But it does not work well in 5.22, The tooltip now goes wrong. See below:

lexel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 17:55   #80
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Modern skin plugin (gen_ff) has now unicode support, this could be the reason, I'll test it with the german modern skin.

Last edited by Koopa; 28th May 2006 at 18:28.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion