Old 10th October 2006, 01:46   #1
vizo

Send a message via AIM to vizo
speakers near computer -- too close?

How close is too close in placing speakers with large magnets near your computer? I found some Pioneer CS-301's at my parents house and am using them in my room in temporary place of my Polk Monitors. How close is too close in sitting them near my computer? The reason I ask is because I'm in a fairly small room and the way I have everything set up, the speakers would be placed in each of the corners and my computer happens to be near the corner--only 6 inches from the speaker if it were placed there. I walked near my TV in the living room when I brought them home and the entire thing pretty much turned purple and pink, and I was a few feet away.

Any comments?
vizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 05:52   #2
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Unless the magnetic field is oscillating (and it won't be if it's the magnet in the motor of a speaker), it shouldnt have an effect on things like hard drives.

If you use a CRT monitor and the speaker has a fairly powerful magnet that is poorly or not shielded at all, then it probably will mess with it. Since it did a technicolor job on your TV, it's safe to assume it would do the same with a CRT monitor.

Your best bet would be to slowly move the speakers nearer to the monitor while keeping an eye on it. If you notice a hint of discoloring or distortion, you know you're too close. At that point, it's very unlikely that you'd do any permanant damage to the monitor, and even if there was a little residual distortion/discoloration, the degauss coil built into the monitor should be able to fix that without any hassles.

If you just plonk the speakers either side without checking how much of an effect they'll have, there's every chance you'll munge the thing completely (at least until you become good friends with someone who owns a degaussing wand and knows how to use it).

p.s. if that post seemed a bit off, it's because i've just had a wisdom tooth removed and the anesthetic still feels like it's making my brain numb...
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 07:02   #3
vizo

I should have noted that I am on an LCD monitor. The computer tower is my main concern as the speaker will be sitting less than 6 inches from the tower itself. I know for a fact that these Pioneers arent shielded, but Im just wondering if it'll mess my computer [hdds in particular] up if the speaker sits that close.
Old 10th October 2006, 07:34   #4
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

See here: http://www.dansdata.com/gz009.htm
And here: http://www.datarecovery.com.sg/data_...disk_myths.htm
And here: http://www.actionfront.com/ts_dataremoval.aspx
And here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,11...1/article.html
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 07:45   #5
cvod

my speakers hangeding on the walls something like 50cm
from the computer..
i think it's ok.
cvod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 07:49   #6
vizo

Quote:
Originally posted by cvod
my speakers hangeding on the walls something like 50cm
from the computer..
i think it's ok.
But are your speakers COMPUTER speakers? I'm dealing with vintage cabs with 10" speakers in them.
Old 10th October 2006, 16:08   #7
vizo

Thanks, that helped a lot. Even though all of them state that the only magnets that can truly damage the hard drives are found in junk yards and laboratories, I'm still kind of paranoid about it. I guess the only way to find out is to try it
Old 10th October 2006, 17:09   #8
Mattress
Forum King

I once took a magnet and rubbed it on the bare surface of a floppy disk. It didn't do anything to the data on the disk.
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 17:58   #9
vizo

I'm not willing to try that with my hdd's but I'll trust your judgement.
Old 10th October 2006, 18:56   #10
Mattress
Forum King

I know nothing about HDDs. however I also have some really old speakers from the 70s and I kept one directly next to (ie touching) my PC for a few years with no problems. I don't know how strong the magnets were but the speakers could go pretty loud (i don't even know if the size of the magnet has anything to do with that).
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 14:26   #11
xzxzzx
Forum King

Hard drives are pretty resistant to magnets. Moreso than floppies, unless perhaps they're running.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 16:44   #12
Phyltre
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx
Hard drives are pretty resistant to magnets. Moreso than floppies, unless perhaps they're running.
In which case you better hurry up and catch them before they get away!
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 00:12   #13
vizo

Thanks everyone. I'm no longer worried.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions