Old 2nd December 2015, 05:36   #1
pepanee

Playing A Playlist Using Shuffle

Hello, so I've always wanted to ask about this, yet I guess I forget to ask or something.

I have the Shuffle option enabled. Now let's suppose I select a playlist called "Playlist 1" in the Media Library and I see the songs in that playlist on the right. Now I double click a song "E.mp3", to play that song. The song is now playing and "Playlist 1" is loaded as the playlist that will be played. Now if I press the "Previous Song" button, a different song from that playlist will play. If I press that button again, nothing happens, because that new song that's playing is supposedly listed as the first song from that playlist to play using Shuffle. If I press the "Next Song" button, another completely new song starts playing, since Winamp already set up the shuffled playlist for it to play in memory.

So my question is if there is any way that when I double clicked that first song to play to be set as the first song to play when Shuffle is on? So suppose I double clicked "E.mp3" to play and if I press the "Next Song" button and then press the "Previous Song" button, "E.mp3" will be playing. If I press the "Previous Song" button, nothing should happen since "E.mp3" is set as the first song.

Thanks
pepanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 16:30   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

No, that is not possible. Anytime you change the playback order (by clicking next or previous) a new shuffled listing is created in memory. There is no way to control the exact ordering of this new listing. The "Shuffle Morph Rate" option in the Winamp Preferences Playlist options is supposed to control the degree of change (a little or a lot) of a shuffled listing.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 03:43   #3
pepanee

Do you think it could be implemented in a new version of Winamp?

And a question about the Shuffle Morph Rate... I don't understand how this works, isn't random just going to be random anyways? How does this feature make things more random?
Old 3rd December 2015, 15:06   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepanee View Post
Do you think it could be implemented in a new version of Winamp?
I'm not a Winamp developer, just a long time user of the software. You could make this request in the Wishlist sub-forum, but I don't think it would be done officially. Maybe a plug-in developer would take it on. Similar requests have already been made. What you're asking for is not really a shuffle, it's more like a directed reordering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepanee View Post
And a question about the Shuffle Morph Rate... I don't understand how this works, isn't random just going to be random anyways? How does this feature make things more random?
I don't know the exact logic the code uses. I guess it's somewhat like manually shuffling a deck of cards. 1 shuffle would yield a slight amount of variation. 3 or more shuffles in a row would yield more variation. Maybe the option allows control over how many times the listing is shuffled in memory before the final result is established. The length of the playlist may also affect the amount of variation, if there is a maximum amount of processing time allocated for shuffling (some people have several hundreds or thousands of items in their playlists).

Maybe 1 of the developers will respond to this thread. However, since they are hard at work on the next release, the odds are against it.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 22:01   #5
pepanee

Alright thanks for the reply. I guess I see what you mean by the shuffle. That makes sense. And I'll post my request that other forum.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support