Old 22nd March 2011, 16:51   #1
chronixradio

Shoutcast streams being combined with Another Station

Our stream keep getting grouped as a cluster with another station.

We are ChroniX GRIT Radio and our 128kbps streams keep getting clustered with Metal Nacional Radio's 128k listing, or sometimes vice versa, but mostly we are listed under Metal Nacional Radio.

I have tried many different things to try and break this situation to no avail.

1. Changed bitrate to 96kbps, still grouped with them.
2. Made stream private and relayed it from another making it public, still happened.
3. Changed station title, still happened.

Somehow our unique identifier is obviously the same as theirs.

Please help!

Sean
chronixradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:55   #2
DrO

if you can, the easiest way is to move to a v2 DNAS as it's a known issue with using the YP with a v1 DNAS that there can be the odd collision in the id assigned which then persists for an indefinite period off time (am re-passing this issue up the chain but moving to v2 is going to be the quicker option if possible).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:56   #3
chronixradio

forgot to mention search Metal Nacional Radio and click on play you will see ChroniX GRIT Radio playing or atleast in the list.

If you open in winamp and search for metal nacional radio and click load you will see in playlist window:

chronix grit radio stream
metal nacional radio stream
chronix grit radio stream

yes, been going on for a few months now.

I will look in to shoutcast dnas v2
chronixradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 21:16   #4
CJPR

Had this problem myself

I had the very same issue a little while back. Very frustrating to say the least. Anyway here is how I sorted it out. As I posted in another thread.

Quote:
After a lot of playing about I finally figured out how to get a new serverid. I started a new server at a different bit rate. Checked to make sure the serverid as displayed by the yp directory was different from the one with the issue then I just reset my encoder to my normal bit rate and it gave me a new serverid. I then pointed the rest of my relays to the new server and all is normal again.
So basically, start up a brand new server (leave the other running) at a different bit rate. Check the shoutcast listings on the web after about 5-10mins, not in the player, just hover over the new server entry and you will see the new server ID. Then just reset the encoder to the bit rate that you want to stream at. Mind you I am using SAM to broadcast so your mileage may vary if you are using another solution.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Joe

------------------------
www.rockradio1.com
CJPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 21:36   #5
DrO

the problem is that legacy connections aren't designed to get a random id to ensure there is a level of uniqueness and from what i've briefly looked at (as having only recently gotten a chance to look at the YP code and from asking about), that is sort of by design (i know that is probably not going to make sense but that is how it seems to be so far).

the only true way to not have it happen (without anything being changed in the legacy connection handling or fiddling around with server instances, jumping up and down on the left foot 20 times in a blue moon, etc) is to move to using the v2 platform and the authhash (though ignoring the fact the system is down due to some backend issues in getting / maintaining the authhashes for the last month...).

-daz
Old 24th April 2011, 21:54   #6
CJPR

I hear ya Daz but to be honest V2 is a major hassle to get set up compared to the older version. That would have required a lot more jumping on one foot in a blue moon to set up, at least from my perspective. SAM does not officially support V2 yet. Althought I know that some have used a few workarounds to get it working with SAM. I will have to wait for the next SAM update which should be coming soon that will support V2.

At any rate, I follow the old 'if it aint broke' mantra. Apart from this issue the older version of shoutcast has served me well since 07 and I dont see myself making a migration to the new version anytime soon as it offers me no new options that would warrant the migration (apart from the possiblity or streams mixing again)
Old 24th April 2011, 22:07   #7
DrO

i understand fully where you're coming from and probably the yp should be re-coded / tweaked for the v1 connections to do things better to prevent the merging issue but as all development is on the v2 tools, there's little reason to put development resources into something which isn't really supported anymore.

i'm aware of SAM with v2 support coming at some point... though i really don't understand why the v2 tools are deemed as being so much harder to use as no one can ever give me anything solid on what / why that is the opinion.

especially when the v2 dnas will happily run a v1 config with the addition of 1 config entry to get it working with the YP i.e. the streamauthhash entry or just using the sc_serv_simple.conf provided in the current versions which is all that is probably needed for most people - which itself could be reduced down to just password, adminpassword and streamauthhash to have a working setup. or is that the issues is there's an extra step required to get an authhash which cannot be done simply / in the DNAS itself?

-daz
Old 24th April 2011, 22:35   #8
CJPR

I probably would have been forced to update to v2 like it of not had I not been able to work around the stream mixing issue. The problems I think I would have run into would have been due to my relays which are hosted by a provider. I spoke to my provider about him upgrading to V2 and he had no plans to do so in the near future. Not sure if v2 and v1 servers can be mixed or not but if not then that would have been a pretty big issue for me at least.

Then there is the problem of my statistic relays not being able to gather any data with V2. I do understand that there is now also a workaround for this but at the time I was pretty much in the dark about it. I am not really too clued up on V2 as you might have guessed
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support