Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 14th April 2013, 17:04   #1
moondog99

Videos playing choppy on new laptop - could it be the Codec pack?

Hi,

I am huge fan of Winamp - I have been using using it as my main media player for years. I just got an new laptop (Lenovo T520 - running windows 7 64 bit) and installed Winamp 5.63. Both main video types I have played (both AVI and NSV files) seem to not play very smoothly. I thought there might be something wrong with the laptop, but I played an AVI file on WMP and its fine. I have an older Lenovo (also W7 64) that plays the files perfectly in Winamp in 5.623 so I installed that version on the new one - same problem

I dont want to go to WMP or any other Media player for video because I have tons of NSV files that I would need to convert - and I really love Winamp.

Could this be a codec problem? I have not installed any codec's so I guess I using the ones installed for WMP. It does worry me that the NSV files play choppy as well. I have searched the forum and could not find any similar thread.

Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. I am moving to Africa in the near future and will be relying on Winamp to provide a great deal of my entertainment - if not all.

Please.

Thanks,

Chris
moondog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2013, 17:23   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi moondog99,

Try the version 5.7 beta release, link below.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=356750

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v21H1 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2013, 17:45   #3
moondog99

Thanks Aminifu - done - still the same.

It's weird that AVIs play smoother in WMP. That's why I was wondering about codec's.
Old 14th April 2013, 17:46   #4
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Would be well worth double checking the version of the Video Card drivers. Even on a new laptop you may find Intel have updated the video. Also have you got rid of the general junk\demos\etc that come on a new laptop. So many of these companies think they have to add extra audio-visual programs, but most of these tend to be rubbish.

Due to Shader 3.0 issues with Milkdrop on an Intel i3 CPU with Intel 3000HD embedded graphics I needed to upgrade both the video card drivers and Winamp to 5.7 beta.

Now this is different to your issues... that was a visualisation, but I am just about to start testing video on a fresh Win7 PC. This time with old Core2Duo and Intel (something) graphics. I'll return here if I find anything that may help you (like needing certain codecs)

I'm about to play a random sample of videos without installing ANY codecs on that PC.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2013, 18:01   #5
moondog99

Thanks batter.
Old 14th April 2013, 20:12   #6
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I got to get this more scientific. But here are a few initial comments. Clearly Winamp needs some extra codecs/tweaks as I have done some strange random tests.

First up - I am playing a 624x352 version of a DVD rip to an AVI container with a MPEG4\H.263\XVid video inside it. Currently playing back without hiccup or troubles.

Seen some odd results with 3GP videos from my Blackberry phone. Initially found they would not play on the new setup. So tried them on my desktop PC which has a K-Lite codec pack on it. And comically they played at double speed on Winamp!! (Even though Media Player Classic plays them back at normal speed). I need to check what tweaks I did to this copy of Winamp to get it to play 3GP files. (Think I just added the extension 3GP to the file association list on the DirectShow plugin)

I have an MP4\BDAV\Surround video here which refused on the new PC, but was happy in Winamp on the older machine. Not sure what that is yet.

I am now going to see how stubborn, specific and refined I can get this for different video types. See how much I can get playing before adding a codec pack. (I may install VLC to use as a comparison)

But the main point is - no stutters on video playback so far.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support