Old 25th July 2011, 04:15   #1
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
codec support / analysis?

i have a lot of mpeg 1, layer 3 files, almost entirely LAME and at 44.1

however, i do have a bunch of wild files: different layers, different mpeg X, differing khz rates, etc...

some of these i'm sure really are that way. but i have a few which i think might be encoded with some weird ass encoder winamp doesn't support, like mp3pro, mp3HD, etc...

this is obviously a problem, b/c on playback you can for instance, only get half the sample rate replayed. it KILLS the sound.

so...

any utilities or methods out there for me to ferret out obsoletely encoded files so i can expand them properly via their codec, and then re-encode as LAME?

thx!

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 02:41   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

any ideas?

--
Old 27th July 2011, 12:42   #3
ujay
Forum King

Hi MrS, there used to be a program that would give info on Mp3s and have a stab at guessing the encoder. It had some sort of codec grading system that showed up as red, yellow and green. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called now. I'll probably get it later, or someone else may remember.

It's not GSpot, though that may be some help.

[edit] Try EncSpot - http://www.afterdawn.com/software/au...cspot.cfm/v2_0 or http://www.afterdawn.com/software/au...ls/encspot.cfm.
Not sure how this will run on Win7.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 11:00   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

thx ujay, got it going using this:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1103

problem now is that i can't figure out how to get it to scan sub folders! grrr!!

already found one mp3pro file, so the Q is how do i expand/decode properly using the files native codec to wav, so i can re-encode to lame?

i use audacity, but don't know how to do the first part [decoding with the proper codec] in audacity?

--
Old 28th July 2011, 13:17   #5
ujay
Forum King

Just had a look at EncSpot for the first time in years myself, quite nostalgic
Can't see anyway to do sub folders either. There is a lot of stuff under right click, in case you haven't looked too close yet. Scope to add/customize columns and some distribution graphs etc on files.

There used to be a Winamp input plugin for mp3pro, so you could do a direct transcode. Don't know if it still works, probably not, it was damned to hell by everyone who ever installed it.

As you probably(hopefully) won't find too many of these I think I'd install Thomson's player http://www.mp3prozone.com/download.htm and record the output to WAV(I think Audacity can do that), then re-encode. The decode will be in real time unfortunately.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 09:21   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

good idea, but the main issue is without sub folder support, which is insane to not be there, i don't have much need.

in other words, i need something better to find my files that are mp3pro. and i wonder if this old app even knows other such freaky codecs, like mp3HD.

--
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:35   #7
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Part of the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack is something called "MediaInfo".

This application is available on a Right Click of any audio or video file. This gives LOTS of details on all kinds of parts of that audio file. Type, encoding, bit rates, the lot. I use it to spot when a file has the incorrect extension.

Looking at how simple the program is, and the fact there is a quick "export to text" button, I would not be surprised if this can be run standalone from a command prompt using a script.

Check http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net and see if it is of any help.

Also in the software's about details, there is a note about support at: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=96516

Edit: Just checked that support link and it does mention command line.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 04:49   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

command line isn't my strong suit... i basically need something that will recursively go thru my files and sort by codec, such that i can see what all is mp3pro or mp3hd.

--
Old 23rd October 2011, 10:34   #9
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

If you can get your head around the complexities of MP3 tags, then a command line should not scare you.

That sourceforge link points at a GUI version. So no messy command lines if you don't want to. I just slung it onto my PC and it lets you pick a folder which it will then pop up on screen for you as a summary of the codecs in use by all the files. Well worth a look.
Old 23rd October 2011, 13:23   #10
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

MrSinatra - have you tried MP3diag?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....light=mp3diags

Scroll to the bottom of that thread. Two little programs for checking the state of your MP3 files. Both a little technical. MP3Diags looks the more usable of the two. (I have been trying to play with them myself)

I think both of these will make more sense to you than me as you are used to the language of MP3s. I am pretty sure that with a bit of brain matter you could get MP3diag to do the job you need. It looks like it can hunt out certain patterns, and then apply "fixes" that you can control.
Old 23rd October 2011, 17:26   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

yes, i did in fact install both. i had tried mp3diags some time ago and i had tried the one you suggested first before my last post.

i did load a folder, but i didn't see where it aggregates the results? i'm looking around but i just don't see it?

mp3diags is very detailed, but i don't think it does what i need either.

--
Old 23rd October 2011, 17:43   #12
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I don't use any of these tools, have only just started to play with them due to this forum.

MediaInfo I DO use a lot to test a single file. Very good for checking what something actually is as the Explorer Integration works well.

The GUI version of it may be able to create the list you need. It is just very weird program.

Try...

Open program.
Use the FOLDER button to point at a folder of tracks.
Use the VIEW button to swap to SHEET view.
Use the EXPORT option (on the left) to export to a CSV file. (Note you set the location to save this file).
Open the CSV file in a spreadsheet application like Excel.

There is TONS of info exported in that sheet. The SORT routines of the spreadsheet should help sort out what is what.

I am not sure if I have any mp3pro\mp3HD files so not sure if it is recognising them.

I still have a few headaches from reading the settings pages of MP3diags. There are clearly filters in there for weeding out the low quality stuff. As well as finding badly ripped tracks. Trouble is it seems buried in the technical details. And I am lost by those details for now. Currently trying to make sense of those different columns of filters. There is almost TOO much detail for me in there at the moment. "Can't see the wood for the trees"
Old 25th October 2011, 00:21   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi MrSinatra,

I noticed a couple of tools that may help. MP3PRO Detect and MP3 Surround Detect.

http://www.all4mp3.com/tools/tech-and-tools.php
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 00:30   #14
MrSinatra
Forum King

interesting, but how do i use them? no exe file:

Quote:
CONTENTS:

readme.txt -- this file
versions.txt -- version history

lib/

libmp3PROdetect.a -- the mp3PRO detection library file
for Linux OS

mp3PROdetect.lib -- the mp3PRO detection library file
for Win32

mp3PROdetect.h -- the mp3PRO detection library interface
header files

mp3fileinfo.h

sampleCode/

mp3PROfile.cpp -- sample commandline application
demonstrating the C++ Interface

mp3PROfile_C.cpp -- sample commandline application
demonstrating the C Interface

mp3PROdetectSamples.dsp -- corresponding MS DevStudio project
file

Makefile -- corresponding UNIX makefile

doc/

mp3PROdetect-Interface.pdf
-- library interface description

--
Old 25th October 2011, 01:27   #15
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

Sorry, the descriptions are misleading. Turns out to be software development kits
and a license is required to use them.
Old 25th October 2011, 09:37   #16
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@MrSinatra: Ah source code... I'll see if I get some time to mess around with it. Have downloaded it but the project file does not want to load for me. If I get some spare time in next few days I'll get this built in some usable form. The licence will not affect us as we are Home Users and not selling it.
Old 25th October 2011, 10:12   #17
Aminifu
Forum King

Ah Batter Pudding,

To the rescue again! I wrote and compiled my last program over 10 years ago.
Worked with assembly languages (device drivers) and C. Can you recommend
some free tools that would let me get back on the horse.

Thanx
Old 25th October 2011, 10:25   #18
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Funnily enough... I also hadn't touched my programming tools since 1999. (Well, apart from a brief dalliance with a C++ based database application for a client).

This summer I picked up the tools again as I needed to talk to something using TCP packets. And guess what? Microsoft's Visual Studio C++ 2010 Express is now a FREE product!! The only thing I am missing is a resource editor so I am having to hand roll my dialog boxes again. There are obviously a good few other features that are missing, but nothing that is show stopping for me. I got most of my old 1990s code up and running again and am now pushing out new apps with my rusty C++ knowledge.

Access to MSDN is now available online. And wow - is it easier being a programmer now you have a Google search instead of a reference book. So many code samples to fish into.

So - the first free tool to get is - http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudi...itions/express
Old 25th October 2011, 13:10   #19
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Yo - Mr Sinatra. Have you woken up on that side of The Pond yet? I have got the code working for the MP3PRO detection. Only thing is, I have no MP3PRO files to test it with.

Any chance of linking an example file up here? I can then check if this util is working and bung it over to you.
Old 26th October 2011, 03:16   #20
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post

And guess what? Microsoft's Visual Studio C++ 2010 Express is now a FREE product!!
I didn't see that coming! Thank you for the news.
Old 26th October 2011, 11:49   #21
DrO

there's been the 'express' versions since 2005 though i think there was a pre-cursor 2003 version (but 2005 is the first of what was marked as 'express') and all express verions

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 18:54   #22
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

They may well have had express since 2003/5... but the last one I used was from the 1990s. Visual Studio 6 I think!! (Or was it the one after?) Anyway - clearly all in the previous century.
Old 26th October 2011, 19:08   #23
DrO

some of us still use MSVC6 (though i'm now moving my plug-ins over to VS2008 when an update happens, since i can then just re-use the VS2008 crt which Winamp uses since 5.57x).

MSVC7 was Visual C++ .NET 2002 but Visual C++ .NET 2003 was better adopted than 2002 was.

-daz
Old 26th October 2011, 19:17   #24
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

.NET? Yuck. I do C and C++. So it must have been Visual C++ 6 I used to use. (I have the floppy disk set around of the previous edition as well!!)

I was never that impressed by .NET. I saw a product created in it in 2003 and was amazed at how slow and clunky the code was. Yeah, libraries and that were available, which was part of the problem. The kid writing that code was an idiot which is why I think the product ran so badly.

I need CONTROL!! Hehe.... Let me at that raw Windows Message loop. I didn't even like the overheads of MFC!! But then I am weird.

I still remember coding on a 66Mhz PC and adding chunks of assembler into the code as it was not decoding the network packets fast enough.

I was surprised at how easy it was to get my 10 year old code up and running in Visual Studio 2008. Okay, I did drop support for Windows 95 and 98, but then I thought that was fair enough. A lot of fancy features in it which make life easier.
Old 26th October 2011, 19:23   #25
DrO

you can do c / c++ with the 'Visual C++ .NET' versions, it was just when .NET was put in everything around the time .NET was appearing.

.NET isn't too bad from what i found when i tried to learn it last year, but any language can be used to make a crap program, i think that a lot of dire programs early on tainted what it can actually do plus it's come a long way from where it was - yes need the framework installed can be a pain but it's pretty common now and is no more different really than having to make sure the CRT for the VS version used is present on the machine (oh the joy of dll hell, heh).

likewise, i do prefer to not have frameworks adding to the code size unless needed, though sometimes it is just needed.

-daz
Old 26th October 2011, 19:39   #26
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Ah...true DLL HELL was Windows 95/98 when installers didn't version check and would swap in older versions thereby breaking your application. Look at the mess now in the Windows folders to get round it. The XP DllCache was chunky... but this Vista\Win7 WinSxS idea is mental in comparison!! At least disk space costs pennies now so less of an issue.

I did realise that everything got re-branded with that .NET name. And then over the following years they quietly dropped that re-branding for other re-branding...

At least we don't have to do our own memory thunking like the old Win 3.1 16-bit code!! We have come a long way... and it is certainly prettier now... and thanks to products like Winamp it sounds better too.

I code for fun now, and may even be tempted to play with the Winamp Plugins. (For example, this thread is heading down an alley that may call for a plugin as a simple answer) Apart from the fact that I don't think I could deal with the "customers". Some people who get stuff for free seem to be too impatient.
Old 26th October 2011, 23:50   #27
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Apart from the fact that I don't think I could deal with the "customers". Some people who get stuff for free seem to be too impatient.
I second that emotion.

I'm also glad I'm free from management pushing the release of products with bugs
that a few more weeks of development would avoid, just so sales could claim 'new
and improved' year after year. There was never time to do it right, but always time
to do it over later. As someone who took pride in my code, I really hated that.
Old 27th October 2011, 09:55   #28
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I second that emotion.

I'm also glad I'm free from management pushing the release of products with bugs
that a few more weeks of development would avoid, just so sales could claim 'new
and improved' year after year. There was never time to do it right, but always time
to do it over later. As someone who took pride in my code, I really hated that.
You have just described why I am not a programmer and instead run an IT Support business. A project would never end. And the credit always went to the wrong people.

You also forgot how all the sales and marketing guys would steal any present the clients would send to us, the programmers. And how those same sales droids would complain about the colour of something missing out on all the complex tech inside.

Much nicer now going out and actually seen a project end with happy faces. I also have less urge to punch salesmen.
Old 29th October 2011, 09:15   #29
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Yo - Mr Sinatra. Have you woken up on that side of The Pond yet? I have got the code working for the MP3PRO detection. Only thing is, I have no MP3PRO files to test it with.

Any chance of linking an example file up here? I can then check if this util is working and bung it over to you.
well, i can only guess really, b/c i don't trust the tools i have. EncSpot said these were mp3PRO:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ytnbmniphcy6dn8

http://www.mediafire.com/?3n3aa3fdvm1xnsb

--
Old 29th October 2011, 12:03   #30
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@MrSinatra: busy week, will get back to this later in the weekend. Thanks for the example mp3s. Looks like some debugging needed as getting odd results. No doubt something daft
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
codec, lame, mp3hd, mp3pro, sample rate