Old 1st October 2014, 15:40   #1
ryerman
Major Dude

Unnecessary error pages when accessing Radionomy in Winamp

Recently, multiple instances of "Winamp Online Services Error Page" open when navigating through Radionomy in Winamp. (see attachment)
The error is "The URL could not be parsed."
Despite this error, the stations will play as expected.

Given that Radionomy works correctly in Winamp, are these error pages necessary?

Using http://www.radionomy.com, Radionomy can be used in Winamp as an Online Service.
In the past, navigating to a station and clicking "Listen to this radio station in your mediaplayer" quickly played the station in Winamp.

Now, I see 4 error pages after clicking on a Category, 2 after clicking on a Station, and 1 after clicking on "Listen to this radio station in your mediaplayer"
The last one quickly opens and closes as the station begins to play.
The others are opened on top of each other. (To see them, they need to separated by dragging them apart.)

If the error pages are closed immediately after they appear, they are merely an annoyance. The station will play as usual.
However, Winamp freezes when closing the error pages, if the first 4 error pages are not closed immediately after they appear.

FYI
The Radionomy website works as expected in my Internet Explorer 11 and Firefox 32.0.3
However, I quickly learned to not use Radionomy in IE because Windows Volume Mixer won't remember a maximum volume level for IE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnecessary Online Services error page.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	51418  

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 15:47   #2
DrO

it's just not designed to run inside of Winamp and the errors are due to the restrictions placed on what can and cannot be done via the online services client hosting that Winamp provides. that is why online services had to be specifically created in most cases to deal with the limitations which the handling imposed (which is there to prevent people doing bad stuff to Winamp).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 16:33   #3
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
it's just not designed to run inside of Winamp and the errors are due to the restrictions placed on what can and cannot be done via the online services client hosting that Winamp provides. that is why online services had to be specifically created in most cases to deal with the limitations which the handling imposed (which is there to prevent people doing bad stuff to Winamp).
OK, thanks for responding.

Just to be clear, these error pages are a recent thing. Not too long ago, Radionomy worked just fine in my Winamp without any errors.
Winamp hasn't changed since then, so I guess something changed at http://www.radionomy.com to cause the errors.

Is that the case?

Old 1st October 2014, 16:44   #4
DrO

there probably have been site changes, but as i'm not involved with that side of things i don't know for certain or it could be changes in the ad handling on the sites, etc. either way, i'm pretty certain it's not a case which is tested for and until something more formal is provided for use within Winamp, you'll probably just have to put up with the errors.
Old 1st October 2014, 16:55   #5
ryerman
Major Dude

No problem.

Seems likely that "the powers that be" would want Radionomy to work error-free in Winamp.
I look forward to future developments.

Thanks again.

Old 1st October 2014, 17:02   #6
DrO

as long as it's not involving IE... and how you're using the site isn't really intended behaviour for the site afaik (same with the main shoutcast.com site vs the crippled embedded version - which itself is not ideal as it just doesn't work on IE8 i.e. XP users and won't be fixed to work on those setups, hence why i'm pushing to have a more 2.9x/early 5.x native plug-in to pull down the listings / search results and display it natively instead of relying on the browser)
Old 1st October 2014, 17:55   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
... hence why i'm pushing to have a more 2.9x/early 5.x native plug-in to pull down the listings / search results and display it natively instead of relying on the browser)
Sounds like a great idea for the 2nd or 3rd Radionomy release, unless it can be done without holding up the initial release.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v2004 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 13:44   #8
LTK

Hi, I noticed the same thing happening in my version of Winamp, only the service name is Winamp's own "Now Playing", same error code, service id 101. A quick search (both web and this forum) turned up this thread as the only similar occurrence. It has been happening very recently for me as well - two pop-up error windows every time I start Winamp - but otherwise everything appears to be working.

Could this be the same problem? If Radionomy and Now Playing are giving the same error message, and aren't malfunctioning otherwise, there might be a common cause somewhere.
LTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 00:28   #9
DrO

its the style of the page adverts and how Winamp's embedded browser handling is setup which is the cause of the error windows due to it rejecting some of the actions said adverts try to do in-order to appear asynchronously on page load (which is down to Winamp's handling to prevent against bad 3rd party online services).

so without a change of how Winamp does things (as I doubt things will be changed on the advert implementation since it works in normal browsers) it something that either needs to be put up with or you just don't use those views anymore.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support