Old 1st April 2008, 04:57   #1
aspireaudio

Royalties-Maybe, Maybe Not???

Hey there,
I'm reading so much stuff about the royalty laws and really, I don't know what to believe at this point.
So 3 questions??

1.) What is the skinny on this???

2.) If I am just broadcasting music of friends that have produced it and have given it to me and don't request anything am I still required to pay something??

3.) Can I use soundbites from movies and other things to make bumpers for my station??

Thank you for your time

Ryan
aspireaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 10:32   #2
Wavestreaming
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Wavestreaming Send a message via Yahoo to Wavestreaming
The law is, if you are broadcasting any copyrighted material, you should either have prior permission of the artist/label - or you should have the relevant licensing to do so.

This applies to anything with copyright (which is any form of media or artistic works created from scratch by a person or persons).
Wavestreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 13:45   #3
dotme

Re: Royalties-Maybe, Maybe Not???

Quote:
Originally posted by aspireaudio
1.) What is the skinny on this???

2.) If I am just broadcasting music of friends that have produced it and have given it to me and don't request anything am I still required to pay something??

3.) Can I use soundbites from movies and other things to make bumpers for my station??
1) See Wavestreaming's answer above

2) If your friend(s) wrote, produced and performed the work and gave you permission to broadcast it without paying royalties, then generally you don't have to pay royalties.

But... if they performed a cover of another artist's work, or if the underlying composition was written by someone else, then royalties are usually still in play.

3) Doubtful. Some do it, and get away with it - but I expect the movie studios would want to get paid something for that. Can't say for sure though...
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 15:25   #4
aspireaudio

THANK YOU!!!
THAT WHAT I THOUGHT
aspireaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions