Old 18th February 2010, 17:44   #1
soundque

Send a message via ICQ to soundque
bots rippping my stream - how to block

Hi all -

I have bots from the same subnet in Germany trying to rip my stream EVERY SINGLE DAY.

So first I blocked them as single IP until I noticed a pattern, then I blocked the entire subnet, but they are still able to connect multiple rippers from the IP 79.232.***.***

log entry is: <02/18/10@11:26:55> [dest: 79.232.253.5] starting stream (UID: 2424)[L: 6]{A: Streamripper/1.x}(P: 5)

so its pretty obvious it isn't a casual listener.

How can I permanently ban the ripper without banning valid listeners in Germany?
soundque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 19:47   #2
dotme

You can't. This is an often-discussed issue and there's no single answer. Popular methods to make life uncomfortable for bots include...

1) Crossfading so there is NO silence between tracks
2) Delaying title meta data by a random number of seconds after the start of each track
3) Sending bogus random title meta data mid-track.

These three tactics make it difficult for automated systems to determine when a particular track starts and finishes.

Regarding the listener-agent info... Most bots fake the player info, so you can't rely on that to make any ban decisions. For every one that uses it's true title, there are 10-15 that masquerade as legit copies of Winamp, Windows Media Player etc.

Be aware also that the three tricks above aren't foolproof. Technology has advanced and will continue to do so.

Some might say that the best solution is to make your station private, and/or broadcast publicly-available content at bitrates so low than nobody would want to record it.

At the end of the day, you can only "discourage", you can't "prevent"
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 20:45   #3
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude

Send a message via Skype™ to Brutish Sailor
Someone should write a plugin/for the DSP plugin so to speak.

Some kind of simple script that will utilize The manual entry bar in the DSP meta data for 1-2 seconds, then pop back to regular metadata. like a quick chron job for the DSP. It would be awesome.

Like for example:

I play a song thats 4 minutes long. This additional plugin reads that the song is 4 minutes long. I set it for 2 "meta tag interruptions" so to speak. THEN I manually enter into the script to flash "radio station name" into the SC DSP metadata manual entry. This would cause the plugin to flash the metadata at 1 minute and 3 minutes.

Or even something simple. Like flash metadata of $ every 2 minutes for 5 seconds. This would #$%^% up stream rippers and assist in the unwanted force stream onto unknown relays.

I wonder if a buddy of mine could come up with something, should be easy enough.

Also there is ISORN's RIP script if you dont have it. I think SCS still has a link on their site to this.

KNSJ.org 89.1 FM San Diego

Last edited by Brutish Sailor; 18th February 2010 at 21:05.
Brutish Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 21:06   #4
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude

Im digging this idea more and more... It would be like the old ASX launch scripts display! Now Im determined to come up with something.

Old 18th February 2010, 21:41   #5
bored_womble
Winamp's Womble

unlike a current ongoing thread I am not going to write this, however this is very simple.

A simple script, which never exits and gets the XML from the shoutcast server every 5/10 seconds. If it matches a list of known rippers it disconnects the client listening.

It would hurt a little to start with as the bots would batter the server, so you have to add logic to ban the IP for a bit too, but again very simple to do.

BW

Without open minds the world will die. Open yours and correct the mistakes you are making right now.
bored_womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 07:43   #6
mjbrown

The problem with strategies like crossfading and bogus data is just that these are unattended bots we're talking about here. Most of the time, their operators aren't even paying attention to what they're getting. If they initially tune in and hear some music and see an artist & title, they add you to their list of stations to rip from. They don't realize or don't care that the audio is crossfaded. They'll stay on anyway. If they do figure it out and delete the tracks they ripped, that doesn't do you any good; they still wasted your bandwidth.
mjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 13:25   #7
soundque

@dotme

stream IS private, and they are STILL getting in!

not only bots, but now I'm getting all types of listeners, mostly outside of the US.

...sigh...
how the heck are they finding my stream?
Old 19th February 2010, 14:32   #8
Greg_E
Major Dude

If it's private, switch the port so they don't know where it went. If they come back then one of your permitted listeners is leaking the info and needs to be beaten.

You could also gather the IPs for the permitted listeners and set the DNAS up in RIP only mode, I did this to one of our streams so that it is only available to the devices that I want to connect to it.

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 16:38   #9
dotme

Quote:
Originally posted by soundque
@dotme

stream IS private, and they are STILL getting in!

not only bots, but now I'm getting all types of listeners, mostly outside of the US.

...sigh...
how the heck are they finding my stream?
If one of your regular listeners is using software that shares the server location with other users (some do) then moving ports won't fix it. But - I gotta ask - why discourage people from tuning in? Most people want to grow their station, not limit it. Just curious.
Old 19th February 2010, 16:41   #10
smoothbeats

Send a message via AIM to smoothbeats
Check out SB ART (Anti-Ripping Script):
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=316037

It works on the principle of changing the title temporarily at short intervals to thwart streamrippers. The result is that they get a folder full of short sound clips that aren't good for much of anything.

Smoothbeats.com
hiphop / nujazz
smoothbeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 16:55   #11
soundque

Quote:
Originally posted by dotme
If one of your regular listeners is using software that shares the server location with other users (some do) then moving ports won't fix it. But - I gotta ask - why discourage people from tuning in? Most people want to grow their station, not limit it. Just curious.
subscription based - for the high-quality stream, free to listeners of the low-quality.

Old 19th February 2010, 17:17   #12
dotme

Quote:
subscription based - for the high-quality stream, free to listeners of the low-quality.

Ok. I do something similar. My free streams are "tolerable" for listening but low enough on bitrate that I don't worry about costs associated with bots and I know they aren't going to be happy with the result. As long as your high quality streams are password protected so only those who qualify can tune in, I'd say it's not worth worrying too much about the low quality streams and who might be leeching. If you use some of the strategies I mention to "deter", it shouldn't get out of control.
Old 19th February 2010, 18:05   #13
Greg_E
Major Dude

AAC+v2 down at 32k also seems to work pretty well to keep them away. If you blow it back up to burn to disk you just get crap output.

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 18:10   #14
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude

Smooth beats, Your script is AWESOME!

I like that it can be placed on the remote server side as well, perfect for automations!

Old 24th February 2010, 22:33   #15
Klausi2007

Re: bots rippping my stream - how to block

Quote:

log entry is: <02/18/10@11:26:55> [dest: 79.232.253.5] starting stream (UID: 2424)[L: 6]{A: Streamripper/1.x}(P: 5)

so its pretty obvious it isn't a casual listener.

How can I permanently ban the ripper without banning valid listeners in Germany?
If you have a linux server with the newest ngrep utility and if you only want to disallow Streamripper, you can do it by an "hardcore way":

ngrep -q -K 2 -d eth0 'Streamripper'

will send two TCP RST back to the client on connecting while have their "Useragent" string set to "Streamripper/whatever"... The client can't connect. This works only for new connection. Try it and kick all Streamripper connections - They can't connect back.

You may set the filter string more port specific and launch it by nohup and point the output to /dev/null :-)

By the way - this is a really ugly method :-)

CU

euer-radio.de - Shoutcast Radio/TV from Germany since 2006
Klausi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support