Old 10th July 2002, 21:41   #1
Aero Zeppelin
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Aero Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Aero Zeppelin
Kings Of Heavy Metal

Who are the kings of heavy metal? I think maybe Van Halen since they have survived since the late 70s and they have a good attitude about life. But Metallica is very good and they have a more complex song structure than Van Halen. However, they are one of those bands that has all songs that aren't really happy; more about death and darkness and bad things.

Legalize It. Liberate It. Free The People of the United States. Free The Herbs Of The World!
Aero Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2002, 22:44   #2
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
US Steel has been the king of heavy metal for a very long time.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2002, 03:01   #3
patroclus22
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to patroclus22 Send a message via Yahoo to patroclus22
Manowar. Definitely Manowar.

And yes, US Steel, too. Too bad Bethlehem Steel is going under Another one bites the dust.

Flypaper for the walking wounded since 1997
patroclus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2002, 12:40   #4
Aero Zeppelin
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Aero Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Aero Zeppelin
I never even heard of any of them.

Legalize It. Liberate It. Free The People of the United States. Free The Herbs Of The World!
Old 11th July 2002, 13:08   #5
zaybee_devil

don't forget black sabbath u guyz
zaybee_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2002, 13:41   #6
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

Black Sabbath

Van Halen is run by a dumb bastard who fires good singers and frontmen because of his wife.
Metallica sucks. Period.
The others I've never heard of.
My vote is for Black Sabbath, because they are much better (even if not as talented) as Van Halen and have a much more profound history.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2002, 15:24   #7
randman

AC/DC are still around aren't they? They truly rocked when Bon Scott was still alive, but I also like some of the stuff they did after Brian Johnson stepped in.
Old 11th July 2002, 17:01   #8
liquidmotion
Smokes Two Joints
Beta Team

Send a message via ICQ to liquidmotion
/me starts the chant: "Aerosmith! Aerosmith!"

For a good time: shup | stashbox | my homepage
liquidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2002, 17:31   #9
randman

Quote:
Originally posted by liquidmotion
/me starts the chant: "Aerosmith! Aerosmith!"
Aerosmith was good in the seventies. Now I'm not even sure they qualify as heavy metal with sappy songs like Cryin', Angel, Pink, etc. I'd tend to call them Pop-Metal.
Old 11th July 2002, 18:53   #10
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by patroclus22
Manowar. Definitely Manowar.
DEFINATELY Manowar.

"if you're not into metal, then you are not my friend! HEAVY METAL!"

and aerosmith are not heavy metal by any stretch of the imagination. in my opinion.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2002, 20:50   #11
Aero Zeppelin
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by randman

Aerosmith was good in the seventies. Now I'm not even sure they qualify as heavy metal with sappy songs like Cryin', Angel, Pink, etc. I'd tend to call them Pop-Metal.
I never considered Aerosmith heavy metal, I say more hard rock. Heavy metal has a loud beat, especially in Metallica. Even though Lars is one of the worst people in Hollywood/music, he is an excellent drummer.

How can you say Cryin' and Angel are sappy? Aerosmith was just as popular and successful in the 80's/early 90's as in the 70s. Pink and after that may be kind of stupid.

AC/DC is great, but they aren't really heavy metal either. They haven't been so great in the late 80s and 90s, but Highway To Hell and Back In Black were their two best albums.

Van Halen is a great band. Don't hate them just because of how Eddie gets along with everyone. You should like the music. And Metallica may have been kind of messy in the early days, but ...And Justice For All and the Black Album were very good, along with most of the songs from Master Of Puppets.

Black Sabbath is alright, but I don't like Ozzy too much. He's a freak.

Old 11th July 2002, 20:58   #12
Trigear
bear!

Quote:
Black Sabbath is alright, but I don't like Ozzy too much. He's a freak.
we ARE talking about metal here... ozzy is normal compared to many metal figureheads (cooper and manson, anyone?)

my vote goes to sabbath as well. ozzy is the grandfather of metal

i'd vote nin but they're nowhere near metal anymore. but what the hell, they still get my vote
Trigear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2002, 22:07   #13
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Slayer / Megadeth / Sepultura / Pantera

I dunno if some people would class them as metal or whatnot. All class bands

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2002, 01:51   #14
Aero Zeppelin
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Phily Baby
Slayer / Megadeth / Sepultura / Pantera

I dunno if some people would class them as metal or whatnot. All class bands
Yeah, they're definitely metal. I've never heard of Sepultura before. I think Dave Mustaine is the guitarist for Megadeth. He was the original guitarist for Metallica, but he had a really bad attitude and was messing around all the time, so then he got replaced by Kirk Hammett. I have some Megadeth on my PL, but I gotta work on getting some more.

Old 12th July 2002, 01:54   #15
Aero Zeppelin
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by triGEAR

we ARE talking about metal here... ozzy is normal compared to many metal figureheads (cooper and manson, anyone?)

my vote goes to sabbath as well. ozzy is the grandfather of metal

i'd vote nin but they're nowhere near metal anymore. but what the hell, they still get my vote
Manson is the biggest freak in music. He's more than metal. He's like death metal or something. I don't know much about Alice Cooper, but doesn't he just look weird not act that weird.

I really like one B.S. song, Paranoid. Short but great. I like the Vince Neil version too (from Mötley Crüe).

Old 12th July 2002, 01:56   #16
fish
Pretty Cool Guy

Send a message via AIM to fish
Quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes
US Steel has been the king of heavy metal for a very long time.
\m/ LTV Steel 4evar! \m/
meh, the cleveland steel industry is going down the hole.

Metallica has always been my favorite and always will. Sanitaruim, Enter Sandman, Master of Puppets, Call of the Ktulu.

eh, heh.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2002, 02:02   #17
MetallichicA
Forum Queen

Send a message via AIM to MetallichicA
Black Sabbath are the Fathers of Metal perhaps. Dunno about the kings. Although I've heard it said that if you listen to any good metal riff, Black Sabbath did it first

Slayer- never got into them
Megadeth- love Rust In Peace, Youthanasia, most of Hidden Treasures, Countdown to Extinction, and a bit of Cryptic Writings; anything after CW has been pure crap. Sad to see Mustaine go though
Sepultura- same thing, they've gone downhill since Max left. I don't like their new vocalist at all.
Pantera- love almost every album. Didn't particularly care for Reinventing the Steel.

How about Bruce Dickinson? Hehehe. Iron Maiden, WOO!

I dunno about Metallica, although I think they've had one of the biggest influences on the music industry as far as what they're capable of. I'm kind of pissed at them lately for the whole Ja Rule thing lol

[rant]Know what I can't stand anymore, though? Bands whose backup music coincides EXACTLY with what the singer is singing. I mean, the notes, the rhythm, everything. If you listen to a song off Rust in Peace, and realize how many things are actually playing... it blows me away to think how much music has regressed as far as how complex it is. Has anyone else noticed that in Creed's "With Arms Wide Open", the chorus is made up of THREE NOTES. Three. Notes. That's not a song, it's Mary Had a Little Lamb.[/rant]
MetallichicA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2002, 02:13   #18
Aero Zeppelin
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by MetallichicA
Black Sabbath are the Fathers of Metal perhaps. Dunno about the kings. Although I've heard it said that if you listen to any good metal riff, Black Sabbath did it first

Slayer- never got into them
Megadeth- love Rust In Peace, Youthanasia, most of Hidden Treasures, Countdown to Extinction, and a bit of Cryptic Writings; anything after CW has been pure crap. Sad to see Mustaine go though
Sepultura- same thing, they've gone downhill since Max left. I don't like their new vocalist at all.
Pantera- love almost every album. Didn't particularly care for Reinventing the Steel.

How about Bruce Dickinson? Hehehe. Iron Maiden, WOO!

I dunno about Metallica, although I think they've had one of the biggest influences on the music industry as far as what they're capable of. I'm kind of pissed at them lately for the whole Ja Rule thing lol

[rant]Know what I can't stand anymore, though? Bands whose backup music coincides EXACTLY with what the singer is singing. I mean, the notes, the rhythm, everything. If you listen to a song off Rust in Peace, and realize how many things are actually playing... it blows me away to think how much music has regressed as far as how complex it is. Has anyone else noticed that in Creed's "With Arms Wide Open", the chorus is made up of THREE NOTES. Three. Notes. That's not a song, it's Mary Had a Little Lamb.[/rant]
I don't think Metallica's dead yet. I think they are about to be resurrected, according to what they claim is going on. http://www.encyclopedia-metallica.co...2-07-03b.shtml

Old 12th July 2002, 02:14   #19
spookz

still got all the deep purple albums on cassette

sPooKZ
spookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2002, 02:21   #20
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Quote:

[rant]Know what I can't stand anymore, though? Bands whose backup music coincides EXACTLY with what the singer is singing. I mean, the notes, the rhythm, everything.
May I reccomend handel's harpsichord works and possibly "music for the royal fireworks" as well; Baroque counterpoint is the antithesis of modern music.
Old 12th July 2002, 02:37   #21
i.am.js

I'd give the vote to Slayer. 20+ years and still going strong. Metallica p*sses me off because of the whole RIAA thing, so I can't give a unbiased grade on them. Plus they seem mellowed out since Load (or as I've heard it called, "A Load Of Crap.") And whoever wrote the comment about Aero getting sappy, I couldn't agree more. The late 80s they put out some decent stuff, but as the 90s rolled in I have to ask what the hell they were thinking? Pink? Are you kidding me?
i.am.js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2002, 05:01   #22
MetallichicA
Forum Queen

Send a message via AIM to MetallichicA
Quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes

May I reccomend handel's harpsichord works and possibly "music for the royal fireworks" as well; Baroque counterpoint is the antithesis of modern music.
I'm not too big on harpsichord, although I do have a bit of Handel on here. Counterpoint is good if it's done well; I'm picky about it though. Too mathematical for my taste sometimes. I used to enjoy Baroque music a lot more, but my tastes have moved on a bit. It's fun to play on violin, and VERY interesting to sing. My brother and I used to have contests to take a measure with four different notes in it, and compose a song based on that as the first measure.

As I said before (you remember, that first time that you put down my taste in music?), I'm more into Enescu and Dvorak right now. Enescu's Romanian Rhapsodies are beautifully composed, although I have heard one orchestra slightly butcher them. I've got a really great Bartok/Weiner/Enescu cd right now, and it's amazing to hear them echo each other's music. Let's see, I also have Saint-Saens' Carnival of the Animals, Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, a bit of Chopin, Bach, Schubert's Unfinished Symphony, Sibelius' Finlandia (which I've loved since I was about 3), Stravinsky's Firebird Suite, and some Haydn, and a couple other random things.

I've been involved in musical groups since I was 5. I've sung in a professional chorus, and played first violin in middle and high school orchestra. I was in our county's "elite" orchestra during middle school. I know what classical music is, and I can hold a conversation about it. Just because I enjoy heavy metal, country, alternative, rock and roll, hip-hop, rap, oldies, techno, and dance, that does NOT mean that I have no taste in music, nor does it mean I'm clueless when it comes to classical.

Sorry, I've had a very long day, and I'm tired of being talked down to.

And yes, Aerosmith has gone pretty sappy lately. Although the roller coaster at Disney was FRICKIN AWESOME, 0-60 in 3 seconds hehehe.
MetallichicA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2002, 05:22   #23
Aero Zeppelin
Major Dude

Aerosmith's new songs are too dramatic and too playful. I heard they get mostly the help of other people to write the new songs. Jaded isn't that bad, and neither is Just Push Play (the song). After the Greatest Hits album Big Ones in 1994, they just did some boxed sets and live albums and then just started to suck. But the 70s and 80s were really good periods.

I wish there could be more talented bands today. If only Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd or people like them were still around to make new albums. Soon Aerosmith and the Stones and other good classic bands won't be even alive to tour. The Who just ended when John Entwistle died, even though they are still going on tour. It's sad how it shows how little people want to work these days.

Yeah, Metallica got really "clean" during the Load and Reload period. And now Lars has blonde hair! Kirk is realy the only guy with long hair now. And I've alwayss wondered something; if Lars is always the one speaking out against P2P, has it ever been confirmed that James and Kirk and Jason agreed with Lars?

Old 12th July 2002, 06:46   #24
Trigear
bear!

what do you guys think of dream theater? i love them.
Trigear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2002, 07:46   #25
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Quote:

Just because I enjoy heavy metal, country, ... nor does it mean I'm clueless when it comes to classical.
You'll find yourself very different than the norm if you ask around...
Old 12th July 2002, 14:39   #26
Emperor Chen

Post #3

In the stamina department:

AC/DC
Scorpions
Black Sabbath

In the most popular department:

Metallica*

In the most talented metal department:

Megadeth

In the most tragic waste of talent department/overall winner of the what-ego-can-do-to-you department:

Van Halen

*At one time/pre-Lars hugehead disease
Emperor Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2002, 18:26   #27
MrHerms

The #1 Metal band is and ever was: Iron Maiden! Anyone seen 'Rock In Rio'? That's Metal in it's perfection.

@AeroLed286: Pink Floyd may be dead, but there is still Roger Waters! He has done some great work after leaving Pink Floyd. The recently finished 'In The Flesh' tour was great (at least the concert in Zurich, Switzerland, were I saw him).
MrHerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2002, 21:56   #28
Anacific
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Anacific
Bruce Dickinson definitely!! (his solo career)

"He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence." - William Blake
WSPA | WWF | RSPCA | AAPA | Green Peace - Know and help...
The Rainforest Site | The Animal Rescue Site - Click and help...
Anacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2002, 02:33   #29
Sandman2012
<3 foobar2k
(Forum King)

I don't think Van Halen, even old Van Halen, can really be classified as metal. Many metalheads got into Van Halen, I think, because of the fast guitar work, usually unheard outside of metal at that time. But if you listen to the riffs they're really just surf-pop on speed with the volume cranked to 11.
Sandman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2002, 02:52   #30
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

11!
Old 13th July 2002, 03:47   #31
Jon Deaux
Major Dude

BLUE CHEER!!!!
Are any of em still alive?
Would'a been Roky and the 13th Floor Elevators if Roky Hadn't died at 15.

"Nothing really matters much to me"-Freddie Mercury
Jon Deaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions