Old 30th September 2006, 08:23   #1
Scyris

Upgraded winamp, now it won't play .wav's

As the topic states, I recently got the newest version of winamp and for some wacky reason it won't play any .wav files at all. Windows media player plays them so I know its not the file itself, whats going on?
Scyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 08:30   #2
Scyris

Anyone have a older ver of winamp?

Since 5.3 seems to be bugged to hell and back (Hell mine won't even play .wav anymore!) I am looking for a older version. Thanks
Old 30th September 2006, 09:33   #3
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

what sort of wav files? seems to work for me.

wav is a container format, it could have anything inside of it. may that be, mp3, pcm, adpcm, aac, gsm...list goes on.

a wav file with some wierd format inside of it might not always play, but we try our best to support as much as we can.

you can download old versions of winamp from here
http://www.winampheaven.net/old.php

if you could upload the file somewhere where we can download it, maybe we can fix whatever is wrong with the wavs.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 09:34   #4
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

5.3 has less bugs than any other release.(and we're still fixing them)

http://www.winampheaven.net/old.php
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 13:43   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Scyris
Since 5.3 seems to be bugged to hell and back (Hell mine won't even play .wav anymore!) I am looking for a older version. Thanks
What type of .wav files won't it play? Are they mp3-layered riff wav's?

Known Bugs/Issues
Quote:
2. in_wave v3.x doesn't support riff-wav's (ie. mp3 with wav header) or any codecs not supported by libsndfile library (eg. dsp truespeech or aud) *
Known Workarounds (choose one method only, #1 recommended):
1. Install the Nullsoft Waveform Wrapper plugin, by DrO. Problem solved (info).
2. Use the DirectShow Decoder (in_dshow) for WAV Support instead of in_wave | info (no 24bit output or transcoding support).
3. Use old in_wave from 5.13 instead (no support for multiuser profile setups, distortion with 32bit float wav playback).
4. If they are riff-wav's with embedded mp3, then rename from *.wav to *.mp3 and let in_mp3.dll decode them instead.
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2006, 13:47   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I've merged your two threads into one.
To avoid any further confusion, please keep it to one thread per topic.
Old 30th September 2006, 21:59   #7
Scyris

Well its a .wav file I made thru virtual dub, bascally ripped a audio track out of a anime epsiode, these used to play fine till I upgraded to 5.3, now they won't play. The odd thing is windows media player classic can play them fine. so I know its not the file itself, Sadly I have no webspace so I can't really upload it anywhere. When I go to play it, it says its only 1 second long, and then it kinda glitches and trys to repeat that 1 second over and over.
Old 30th September 2006, 22:43   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Did you even see/read my post?
Old 1st October 2006, 00:46   #9
Scyris

Well, I tried what was listed in your post however my winamp doesn't have a in_dshow.dll in the input plugins at all.
Old 1st October 2006, 00:48   #10
Scyris

Lol i got it to work, the second I removed .wav from in_wave.dll now it plays fine. Thanks for the help
Old 1st October 2006, 00:57   #11
Scyris

Now I have another issue, when I go to my music folder its not listing .wav's as a filetype it can play. I have read your post on how to set that but when I right click Local media in the libary pref section nothing happens at all.
Old 1st October 2006, 02:27   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Okay... let's deal with each issue one at a time...

Firstly, you said there's no in_dshow listed under Prefs > Plugins > Input

Are you sure about that?
It will be listed as Nullsoft DirectShow Decoder v0.99 [in_dshow.dll]

and it is installed when you keep "AVI/MPEG" checkmarked under the Video Support section of the Installer Options

I assume it must be there and that you've already added ;WAV to its Extension List, otherwise WAV files wouldn't play at all if you've deselected wav from in_wave config...

Second issue...

By "when I go to my music folder" I assume that you mean in Winamp's Open/Add Files Dialog, yes?

If so, then you've probably come across the infamous Windows 260-character limitation issue, and the workaround fix for it is here

Thirdly, as from Winamp 5.25/5.3 you no longer need to right-click the "Audio" and "Video" views under Local Media to select 'Edit View' and modify them etc etc, because the Media Library now natively knows that WAV is an audio type when it's associated with in_dshow instead of in_wave.

It does actually refer to that in the instructions, where it says:
Quote:
Note, the 2 steps below are no longer required as from 5.25
So, all being well, everything should hopefully be running smoothly for you now, yes?
Old 14th October 2006, 18:15   #13
pailryder

Follow Up

In regards to this post, I had the exact same issue. If you do not select to install the video associations it won't play .wav files. I stepped through your instructions and they work, however, as much as I love winamp i don't want it to be my video player. If you remove .wav from in_wave.dll then the wav file will work, however the association with .wav files is broken and they show as windows media player files instead of winamp files (the icon for them anyway).

So it's the way the new version is associating wav files with the video stuff instead of the audio stuff i guess. It's not broken as much as it is confusing for a general user.
pailryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 18:12   #14
n0ukf

Send a message via ICQ to n0ukf Send a message via AIM to n0ukf Send a message via Yahoo to n0ukf
Even after upgrading to 5.3, I can play wav files, BUT when I go to load one to play, in the filerequester window, I can find no wav files unless I change Files of type to All files (*.*).

Why isn't wav showing up under All supported types? Is there something I can change somewhere to correct this, somewhere to addd wav as a supported type? In the preferences, I do see wav under associated file types, so that should fall under All supported types and be displayed for chosing.
n0ukf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 18:35   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

FAQ

Problems with 'All Supported Filetypes' in Open File Dialog
(eg. it either shows all extensions, or some supported types are missing)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=238906
Old 12th July 2007, 03:10   #16
RalphTheWonder

I would like to say that I had the same exact problem as well. I had been using 2.8 up until now and needed the new winamp for flac encoding and now it won't play many wav files. Sure I understand they can be encoded any way but they worked with 2.8, why not now? The wav files that I make with my digital camera for memos don't play either. They open in winamp by default but no sound. I checked and I do have in_wave.dll in my input plugins and it's configured to play wav files.

Here is one example wav file that won't play:
http://mkatich.hopto.org/temp/winamp/DSCN5178.WAV
damn the URL doesn't seem to work in this forum, what the hell. Try copying this:

As a side note I have another bug where I cannot open winamp unless I double click a sound file. If I try to just start the program it gives an error:
Quote:
winamp.exe - Unable To Locate Component --- This application has failed to start because NSCRT.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
Reinstalling didn't fix it of course. I could not find the answer to that problem in the forum or on a google search.

These issues coupled with the fact that this winamp is RIDICULOUSLY slower than winamp 2.8 make me tend to agree with Scyris that it's bugged to hell. I can't believe how slow this program is.
RalphTheWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 10:07   #17
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Quote:
Originally posted by RalphTheWonder
Here is one example wav file that won't play:
The blanked URL is spam prevention. Anyone can the the acutal link/URL if they hit the quote button. It will be in the quoted text and the copy of the thread below the reply box.

Did you read the thread for the known workarounds to the problem. The reason Winamp doesn't play some wave files anymore is because Winamp now uses libsndfile for the decoding. Google it to learn more.

To playback audio formats that aren't supported by libsndfile you will need to either use an old in_wave plugin, use in_dshow for DirectShow decoding or DrO, as the god he is, has provided us with a waveform wrapper plugin that will use libsndfile for compatible formats and then uses an old in_wave for others.

[EDIT] I have just taken a look at your file and it appears to be straight 8kHz 8 bit unsigned PCM. I can play it fine in DirectShow via Media Player Classic using ffdshow for decoding. However, when I play it in Winamp it just sits there and appears to have locked up running at 100% cpu time on one core. Perhaps someone else can look at it as I'm not going to file a bug report.

Onto your other point about Winamp being slow. It will be slower in some situations compared with the 2.x version as it has a whole new interface an a great number of other plugins. But as Winamp is modular you can choose to remove things that you don't want or need.

I would suggest that you read the "Like The Wind" guide if you are experiencing slowdowns in Winamp.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.

Last edited by J_Darnley; 12th July 2007 at 10:39.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 04:19   #18
RalphTheWonder

Yes I read the whole thread. I don't feel like researching more about libsndfile.

For the sound file I linked, it doesn't lock up for me. It just goes and plays the next song like it's an invalid file. It's really a normal PCM file, just made from my Nikon camera.

I set it to play with DirectShow and it works now with my various wav files.
I timed it and it took 10-11 seconds for winamp to start and from there operation of the program is laggy.
I read the "Like the Wind" guide and figured the problem was that I saved the old plugins so I uninstalled again, deleted everything, and downloaded the latest winamp and did a "Standard" install. That fixed the error message and let me start up winamp directly now. It must have been those plugins because I had uninstalled and reinstalled several times before. It started up faster but still slow compared to 2.8. Then I went to classic skins and it starts up pretty fast now, maybe 2.8 speed.

Thanks for your help.
Old 13th July 2007, 16:39   #19
garylee

there's a lot of tech mumbo jumbo here that I don't get into. but "I" have the same issue...click on "all" inside the player preferences but it does NOT play wave files..
I know nothing of layered or otherwise. it should just play as advertised...or it's false representation...
I don't like being lied to.

all "I" can get winamp to do is mp3 only.
oh yeah, it'll play my .avi files, but that's not music, is it?

damned if "I" understand it.
making claims that do not hold up.

maybe some day...they'll figure it out.
all I CAN say...pro/con...winamp sounds better than windows player.
garylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 17:27   #20
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

I'm not going to bother reading any of this thread because im fairly sure that I know what the problem is. Your wav files are mp3 files, they have the wrong file extension. Winamp identifies what a file is by its extension.

So, while ignoring the technical mumbo jumbo, the basic answer is that your wav files are just misnamed mp3 files.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 19:12   #21
garylee

misnamed? ok.....when I click on my folder, to open it, and click 'view' it claims all are wave files..
SO,..IF I go by YOUR reasoning,...how does a man change them from wave TO mp3? in MY research,...what I found is there are claims on the net that say wave files are considered "protected" files,..so there is a question of how to unprotect them so that the drm allows winamp TO play them???
this is where "I" am...wondering if that is all true...and what you claim...

how do you reconstruct them ??????????

I have looked, and have not yet found 'a' program to do this job. no where is a program to kill the drm, AND change format from wave to mp3..bad enough I cannot even get rid of those numbers in front of the music file names. that really burns my butt.

any of you tech geeks know?
"I" am one that,..I do not get into the yadda yadda..
either a file runs or it doesn't. either a program produces results or it doesn't. I'd hate to start listing the companies I have fought with, and some I have gone to the authorities over.
I only want results. that's what being "end user" is about in my eyes.
I do not care how the inner programming runs. I do not want to be a programmer...merely the user that is putting out good money, in good faith..for results.

I do not believe that is asking too much.

let me know?
thanks again...
Old 17th July 2007, 14:36   #22
RalphTheWonder

Waves don't have DRM. If what CraigF says is true, you could just rename your wav file that doesn't play to a .mp3 and it would work (you must be able to see the file extensions, a setting in folder options in windows). I kind of doubt this but I'm not at home right now to try. I know that wave files can be encoded many different ways and mpeg layer 3 is one of them. You can check by looking at properties on the file and going to the last tab I think.

Some of my wav files that didn't play certainly weren't mpeg layer 3. When I checked their properties it said PCM.

garylee, just go to your winamp properties, go to input plugins, then select in_wave.dll and click configure. Then holding the CTRL key, click the .wav extension to unhighlight it. Then go to in_dshow plugin and configure it. Add .WAV to that string of characters. Then you should be good. That's what I did.

I really don't know why it isn't like this by default. Stupid.
Old 17th July 2007, 16:47   #23
garylee

plug-ins

Ralph,..you are a scholar and a gentleman. and I tried,..to do what you suggested. hopefully it'll work.

all in all...I..DID send an email in,...telling them I am fed up and demanded a full refund. whether they get it or read it?

-------
thank you sir.

you are the first to show any real life hands on help.
Old 18th July 2007, 01:34   #24
RalphTheWonder

Well thank you. I hope it works for you.

Quote:
all in all...I..DID send an email in,...telling them I am fed up and demanded a full refund. whether they get it or read it?
It's hard to tell if they will especially if they are "Passionately Apathetic" like CraigF there. What a great admin. I think I'll put a "Make a Donation" button in my forum posts.

I use the free version myself. That is ridiculous if this is the support you get after having paid for the program. It makes me wonder how he got to be an admin. I hope he isn't paid.

Quote:
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator
"I'm not going to bother reading any of this thread because..."
That about says it.
Old 21st August 2007, 16:12   #25
dlynn

Okay, I read this whole thread. I'm looking for some help playing wav and wma files using Winamp 5.35.

Should I go to the Bug Forum?

I have posted a question about this already, except now I'm reading this post -- and it seems there is some information to be had, sifting through this thread, but I'm not sure I have an answer.

The problem is that I am trying to play wav and wma files -- and Winamp is locking up on me.

I drop either file extension into Winamp 5.35 and it plays okay, until I hit play or stop. If I hit either play or stop while the files are playing, Winamp locks up, however continuing to play the file with much distortion, and I need to shut Winamp down through the Task Manager.

I tried uploading a wav file to the other post, but kept getting an error message to try again.

I have an older version of Winamp, 5.21 which does not lock up while playing the same file. However, I would like to continue using the latest versions of Winamp, is there a fix for this.

Thanks!
dlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 16:36   #26
Muttley_HaHa

Wav output problem solved

I had the same problem after updating to a higher level of Winamp (5.XX), removing the dts input plugin did the job for me

Hopefully this is useful for most of the people experiencing this 'annoyance'
Muttley_HaHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 00:23   #27
JJCarter65

CraigF is right I had a lot of .wav files that would play on any other player but not Winamp. I renamed them from
.wav to .MP3 and they play fine. I don't mean convert them I mean simply change their extension. Only problem is I have 100 of them.
JJCarter65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 00:32   #28
DrO

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....did=156839#wav gives a workaround so you don't need to rename the files.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 03:07   #29
JJCarter65

Thanks
JJCarter65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 04:29   #30
shpitz461

Re: Wav output problem solved

Quote:
Originally posted by Muttley_HaHa
I had the same problem after updating to a higher level of Winamp (5.XX), removing the dts input plugin did the job for me

Hopefully this is useful for most of the people experiencing this 'annoyance'
Bingo!!!

That's what solved my issue with WinAMP not playing WAV files, I removed the in_dts plugin and now WAV files play.

Thanks!!
shpitz461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 15:26   #31
magnus0c

fix for this issue

1 Open WinAmp.
2 Click on Options on Winamp's menu.
3 Click on Preferences.
4 Under Plug-Ins, click on Input.
5 Click on Nullsoft DirectShow Decoder v0.98b [in_dshow.dll] (if the version differs on your system, look for "in_dshow.dll").
6 Click on the Configure button.
7 For the File association list, add a semicolon and WAV.
WAV added to decoder associations
8 Click on OK.
9 Click on Close.

Done.
magnus0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 23:17   #32
LedAstray

For me, this problem is not with Winamp itself. It has to do with a plugin I installed a ways back, the DTS Audio 0.0.0.1 plugin by Yuriy Zaporozhets or whatever the hell his name is, to play this one album in DTS format and today when I tried to play an album in .wav format, Winamp crashed. The Windows event crash report said Winamp crashed because of in_dts.dll. It was listed in Winamp/Plugins, uninstalled it, and Winamp played the .wav perfectly.
LedAstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 14:18   #33
jpm1

need help :)

i have that problem too none of the above tip work renaming or tweaking the directshow thing . i don't even have a dts plugin , well that's maybe for good . i've made a 32 bit float wav with audacity that works perfectly in WMP , Spider player or even KMP . help , please . i can't send you the file by mp , by mp only as i don't want to be told i'm pirating don't know what
jpm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 17:19   #34
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi jpm1,

Have you tried DrO's plug-in? Put the DirectShow Decoder plug-in configuration back to the way it was first.

in_wave v3.x doesn't support riff-wav's (ie. mp3 with wav header) or any codecs not supported by libsndfile library (eg. dsp truespeech or aud) *

Known Workarounds (choose one method only, #1 recommended):
1. Install the Nullsoft Waveform Wrapper plugin, by DrO. Problem solved (info).
2. Use the DirectShow Decoder (in_dshow) for WAV Support instead of in_wave | info (no 24bit output or transcoding support).
3. Use old in_wave from 5.13 instead (no support for multiuser profile setups, distortion with 32bit float wav playback).
4. If they are riff-wav's with embedded mp3, then rename from *.wav to *.mp3 and let in_mp3.dll decode them instead.

http://nunzioweb.com/daz/waveformwrapper/index.html

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v21H1 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 19:02   #35
jpm1

problem was simplier than i thought . because i didn't want a gas factory . i installed a minimalistic install , and i just didn't installed the Winamp WAV build-in decoders . Works perfectly with a great song , finally . Thanks
jpm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support