Old 9th April 2012, 18:09   #1
ferrari909

I switched from itunes to winamp but it has bugs

I switched to winamp because of its simple interface and visuals (AMAZING). Theres things wrong with the programme that just plane bugs me!

I've edited a lot of the settings to make it the way i like it, but theres things that can't be removed i want this option and some can be fixed in next update ok here we go.

1. I have songs in WAV and MP3 ok the album artwork on this media player is crap. Give us the option to drag and drop artwork straight into winamp regardless of format. Or even select if from our computer but that option isn't available. I don't feel like downloading or even paying for tag editing software its junk, winamp isn't i need this featuer in an update.

2. Give me the ability to make the winamp window any size i want, in my list of songs i have the following (Artist, title, length and bit rate) I can't make the window any narrower that it is already i want winamp thin.

3. whenever i click maximize visuals it works for half a second then minimizes to desktop, i then have to manually hover over the minimised window and click milkdrop for it to work full screen i don't know if this is a bug or what.

4. songs in wav format don't have the option to edit album art right clicking a song (wav) then hitting "view file info" just brings up channel(s) 2, Signed 16 bit PCM and 44100 Hz. When you do this with an mp3 you get so many options. When ever i click view file info the artist dissapears so i have to retype the artist back in (this is a bug)

5. I don't care about add-ons give me the ability to remove the text from the media library section along with podcasts and book marks, i'm never going to use the internet through winamp i have ie for that. Some with browser give option to remove it from (media library, video, visualization and browser)

6. I like how the album art work lies flush against the song ticker and volume control but i can only get this effect if i have the playlist box extended far out, i'm never going to use a playlist box its a waste if someone is going to make a playlist then use the playlist tab on the left why put 2 playlist functions on the interface its annoying.

hopefully these are looked at by one the the 'team' and implemented in the next update i so hope it is, it would make winamp complete.

I'm using bento skin and its the only skin i really like, i've looked at some downloadable ones played around with them don't like them.
ferrari909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 19:27   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi ferrari909,

Welcome to the WA community. First thing, you will find that you will need to adapt your behavior to Winamp rather than trying to force it to adapt to you (even though WA and it's plug-ins are very adaptable). Much less frustrating that way. Don't compare it to anything else. WA has it's own 'personality'!

Plug-ins (add-ons) are the way features (beyond the basics) are added or removed. This allows users to have what is available without bogging down the app with stuff they don't want. Even many of the default features can be removed if you don't need or want them.

Artwork handling is what it is (changes come very slowly). Best to use 3rd party taggers to address your needs. The wav format does not support tags or artwork.

Skins are only adaptable up to a point. There are dozens. It will take awhile, but keep looking until you find one that meets most of your needs.

Use the forum's search feature. All of your issues and any available work-arounds have been discussed. Have you browsed thru the Winamp Preferences Guide?

http://www.winamp.com/help/Winamp_Preferences_guide

Enjoy WA, don't let the little things get in the way. After all it has been around for 15 years, it must be doing something right.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v21H1 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 19:57   #3
ferrari909

Hello, i am not at all bashing Winamp, i'm just saying there are little things i just thought would have been cleared in the first few updates.

Nothing comes close to Winamp, i love it! I am just saying these few things cleared and i am done!

Yes i've been through winamps extensive preferences thats why i posted here. Thanks anyway. Could you recommend me any 3rd party to change tags to wmv. Something clean, free or trial (just so i can do my list)?
Old 9th April 2012, 20:16   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari909 View Post
Yes i've been through winamps extensive preferences thats why i posted here. Thanks anyway. Could you recommend me any 3rd party to change tags to wmv. Something clean, free or trial (just so i can do my list)?
Hi,

Sorry don't know of any x-to-wmv converters I can recommend. Should be something on the WEB. Just curious, why do you want to use a proprietary codec? Why not mp3 (lossy) or flac (lossless)?

Old 9th April 2012, 20:44   #5
ferrari909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Just curious, why do you want to use a proprietary codec? Why not mp3 (lossy) or flac (lossless)?
Flac although works on my computer (winamp) fine it can't be burned to a CD and played through cd players. MP3 i don't want to downgrade in music quality.
Old 10th April 2012, 12:51   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi ferrari909,

Any file format can be burned to a 'data' CD. For an 'audio' CD to play on all CD players, the various audio formats must be converted to the standard Red Book audio format (digital audio encoding: 2-channel signed 16-bit Linear PCM sampled at 44,100 Hz). The closest audio format to Red Book audio is the wave format.

So I assume you're saying the quality of a wmv to Red Book audio conversion is better than a flac to Red Book audio conversion (ruling out the hardware involved).

If so, what is your proof of this? I do not want to start an argument, just increase my own knowledge. The bottom line is what sounds best to the individual user, imo.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support