Old 15th July 2006, 23:24   #1
OdessaCubbage

Playlist does not save after restart

I have WinXP SP2
And I use Winamp v5.24

When I close it normally, the playlist is saved
When I restart windows without shutting down Winamp first, the playlist is NOT saved

plz fix that

BTW Winamp Rulez
Old 16th July 2006, 07:48   #2
Bubba Smith
Major Dude

This is not a bug, and should not have been posted here in Bug Reports as such. It's expected behavior. Therefore, there is no 'fix' for it. Winamp only saves its settings upon successful/proper shutdown. This also includes the last playlist loaded into the Playlist Editor window, which is then written/saved to winamp.m3u in the Winamp main folder upon proper shutdown/termination of the application. Besides, you should never shut down Windows without closing all running apps first, including Winamp.

Can a Moderator please move this thread out of the Bug Reports forum?
Bubba Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2006, 11:43   #3
OdessaCubbage

Well, it worked normally in previous versions of winamp
Now it does not
Old 16th July 2006, 15:37   #4
Bubba Smith
Major Dude

What previous version(s)? I don't recall any version where Winamp worked that way, and I've had just about all of them.

Eg: If you have several Windows applications opened at the same time, and you are 'working' with them, if you were to restart or shut down Windows without saving your work, you would lose it all. Correct? Yes. You need to save what you have before leaving Windows. Winamp's 'saving' is accomplished upon normal (to use your word) shutdown of the application. That's just the way it is, and the way it's always been AFAIK.
Bubba Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2006, 06:55   #5
kurian2z5

Quote:
Originally posted by OdessaCubbage
Well, it worked normally in previous versions of winamp
Now it does not
Yes it worked in previous versions....im pissed off about this as well...

Even when playing in random mode...if it starts from song X, and ive heard a few songs the last one being song D...it should resume from song D but it resumes from X again after a windows shutdown close of winamp.

Doesnt windows send a WM_CLOSE to all windows when shutdown ?? Isnt that interpreted as normal application close ?
kurian2z5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2006, 11:35   #6
ralfxx

Re: Playlist does not save after restart

Quote:
Originally posted by OdessaCubbage
When I close it normally, the playlist is saved
When I restart windows without shutting down Winamp first, the playlist is NOT saved
I 've got the same problem with Windows 2000 SP4. All my previous versions of winamp worked well.

Please fix it
ralfxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 10:36   #7
siebe83
Forum King

If you force Winamp to close by rebooting your computer, Windows may not give Winamp enough time to save settings.

For me, Winamp mostly exits fast enough to save the settings, but I prefer just closing Winamp manually to be sure. Maybe Winamp takes more time to exit in recent versions (and thus hasn't enough time to save settings).
Third-party plugins can also delay Winamp exit time a bit, but basically, the more plugins (native or third-party) you have installed, the longer it takes for Winamp to exit, and the higher the chance a proper exit isn't possible due to Windows forcing an exit.

Perhaps there is a way for Winamp to tell Windows to wait. If so, that would need to be implemented (and thus be a feature request).

You could install Playlist undo by DrO (latest version) to automatically have your playlist saved regularly (without the need to exit Winamp).
I'd still recommend to close Winamp properly before shutting down Windows though.

If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 04:28   #8
icefront

It's a bug

This is a bug. If a software fails to save the settings it's a bug. It's simply poorly designed.
But why don't you change something in the software? For example move the playlist saving routine call to the end of the load routine. Or more sophisticated, set a counter to 5s when the playlist is modified and after countdown to 0 save the playlist.
There are solutions to solve this overly simple but annoying problem, instead of just saying "that's the way it is..."
icefront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 04:51   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

It is not a bug.

How can Winamp control closing time if loaded down with a lot of 3rd party plug-ins? It can't without putting restrictions on the number and type of 3rd party plug-ins allowed.

Could Winamp and it's default plug-ins close faster? Maybe, at least one dev is looking into just that.

Could the computer being used process data faster? Probably, with an upgrade or two.

Can the default time Windows allows for apps to be closed by the OS be changed? Yes, instructions are on the WEB.

Why do some users want everything done for them, no matter what they want to do? No clue.

Word to the wise. Adjust your personal computer (hardware and software) to your situation or adapt your behavior to your PC. It's less frustrating. Just saying_______

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v21H1 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support