Old 4th April 2012, 11:39   #1
Aminifu
Forum King

Oldschool playlist button behavior?

Can someone please explain this Classic Skins option? The preferences guide says enable it to "Use the classic, single-click behavior with play list buttons". What other behavior is there?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v21H1 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 11:58   #2
DrO

in the classic playlist editor, the action buttons at the bottom generally show a mini skinned menu for further actions. with that option checked, the menu is basically shown and then closed with a default action used as follows:

add -> opens 'add file(s) to playlist'
rem -> removes any selected items
sel -> selects all playlist items
misc -> opens the normal menu

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 12:38   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi DrO,

In other words, are you saying the oldschool behavior option turns each of those multifunction buttons into single function buttons. If so, how are the sub-functions (further actions) selected.

Also will this option interfere with the revised classic skin tooltip support you have planned for the next release.

Old 4th April 2012, 12:55   #4
ujay
Forum King

Use right click instead of left click on the buttons.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 12:57   #5
DrO

Quote:
In other words, are you saying the oldschool behavior option turns each of those multifunction buttons into single function buttons
yes.

Quote:
If so, how are the sub-functions (further actions) selected.
you'd have to right-click the button to get to the other options (which is the same with the option unchecked).

Quote:
Also will this option interfere with the revised classic skin tooltip support you have planned for the next release.
it has no effect on the pending tooltip changes as the name of the action is what the single-click does and is what is shown for the tooltip anyway.

really it seems a pointless option nowadays but am sure at some point in the 1.x/early 2.x days that option was needed. personally i'd remove the option along with the two litestep options from that page and in an ideal world the whole prefs would be overhauled as it's too cluttered and could be layed out better especially to better group some settings together - and i know i'm a cause of the prefs bloat.

-daz
Old 4th April 2012, 14:14   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Thank you, DrO (and ujay) for clearing that up for me. I usually don't like using the 'trial and error' approach to finding out about stuff. Though it is nice when a useful 'unintended' consequence turns up.

Maybe it's just me, but the behavior change seems to have been made awhile ago. I no longer remember the oldschool way. I prefer the non-oldschool behavior. Oldschool only saves a single click if the default action is desired and saves nothing if it isn't. It could also cause the loss of an unsaved playlist. Is this one of the reasons for the great 'Playlist Undo' plug-in?

As for cluttered option pages or related options grouped on multiple tabs, you can't win. Many probably won't like it either way. Also what to do with those that interact across different parts of WA? For new users and those like me with fading memories, I just would like slightly more expansive explanations of the options (online or off).

Also I like choice. Choice is good. I wouldn't call adding useful options bloat.

Old 4th April 2012, 14:29   #7
DrO

i don't ever remember the oldschool behaviour being the normal (though i was relatively late to things by coming along in the 2.5 days), which makes me think it might have been more of a 1.x or possibly earlier feature i.e. when the playlist editor was uber-simple.

ideally there should be tooltips or something else for most of the options (and now i wait for someone to make a comment for adding little link buttons to every control to go to the wiki ), but that then would increase the size of the whole install even further along with causing a mass of work for the translators which i'm sure a lot would not appreciate.

i did briefly start on a gen_help plug-in ~3yrs back now which was able to do the basics of hooking into the preferences and showing a generic tooltip for a control, but it had some issues which i never got around to ironing out to make it vaguely useful to then be able to start adding the information to show.

-daz
Old 4th April 2012, 14:31   #8
ujay
Forum King

Though it is nice when a useful 'unintended' consequence turns up.

A-ha ...
Serendipity
my favourite word. A source of constant delight.

UJ
Old 4th April 2012, 14:35   #9
DrO

used to have a great game called that on my atari st - almost makes me want to try to find the disk it was on and break out the old girl, heh.

-daz
Old 4th April 2012, 14:47   #10
ujay
Forum King

There's an ST emulator out there somewhere daz. I used it a while back to play an old game I wrote centuries ago
The game's still out there online somewhere too.

UJ
Old 4th April 2012, 14:51   #11
DrO

i know about emulators and have used most of them in some form over the years, but nothing quite beats warming your hands on the area above the psu on a real machine

-daz
Old 4th April 2012, 14:53   #12
Aminifu
Forum King

Ugh, didn't think about the translation issue!

Anyway, help is usually just a post away. Long live the forums and community.

Old 4th April 2012, 14:56   #13
DrO

with the translation aspect, the english would be shown if it wasn't found but it still ends up giving a mis-match in the UI (which is complained about enough as it is with Winamp).

-daz
Old 4th April 2012, 15:02   #14
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i know about emulators and have used most of them in some form over the years, but nothing quite beats warming your hands on the area above the psu on a real machine

-daz
Yeah, what's with these new school cases putting the psu on the bottom? Is heat from the cpu cooking the supply? Now there's heat from the supply cooking everything else.

Old 4th April 2012, 15:11   #15
ujay
Forum King

I think I had a 'brick' type PSU hanging off the back on mine, this was for warming the toes as I remember
Old 4th April 2012, 16:12   #16
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
....I have to add that I certainly do remember the days where the "old-school" behavior was the normal one.

And ujay and the others are somewhat wrong, it is not true that you had to use the right mouse button to select the other functions. It was rather the case that you had to Click and hold the Left button while pointing to the desired button (which popped up then).

All in all, this behaviour was faster, but it did inherit the risk of unintended action when just single-clicking a playlist button, not seeing the popping-up buttons. This could result in loss of a playlist or selected items.

I think this also was the reason the new behavior was implemented.

I some time used the new one as it was the new "default", but as I know what the buttons do, I changed back to the old-schoole one some time ago.

I didn't do this because I wanted the speedy single-click default actions on the buttons, but rather because I wanted the
- Click
- hold down
- point to desired menu action
- release
behavior which saves clicks especially for small menus, as the playlist buttons are.

This works with EVERY menu in Windows, test it! One can get used to it...

Unfortunately, this does NOT work with Winamp's playlist buttons if the new behavior is activated!

Although there is absolutely no reason that this doesn't work! It would be rather easy to implement and to extend the "new" behaviour by behaving like the old one for all buttons EXCEPT the lowest one, where the mouse is already placed when opening the button menu.

This would be my ideal behaviour for the buttons: If you use "click, click", it will behave for you like the default, new variant.

If you use "click-and-hold, point, release", it will work for you also - except the lowest button.

If you want to have that for the lowest button, too (i.e. a "single click" action for this button, as the "point" and "release" part fall to the same location), you would have to activate "Old-school" behavior.

Would there be any chance this extension could be implemented into the "new" behavior?

Would be great...
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 16:36   #17
ujay
Forum King

Thanks kzuse, you're quite right , if you used left click it gave a Mac style menu in old school.

UJ
Old 5th April 2012, 03:12   #18
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi kzuse,

The "click-and-hold, point, release" behavior is faster. Think I'll give it a try. Thanx for the correction. The only problem for me is the skin I'm using doesn't label the playlist editor buttons clearly and I don't use them enough to correctly remember which is which. DrO's tooltips (planned for the next release) should help with that.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support