Old 24th October 2013, 04:04   #1
bit-perfect_fan

Windows 8 & wasapi

Is Winamp able to use windows' wasapi exclusive mode without the use of any external plugin? I got one for windows 7, but it doesn't work for windows 8 any more.

if not, could this be implemented please?
bit-perfect_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2013, 08:09   #2
DrO

nope and there's no plans to provide a native wasapi output plug-in.. so you're at the mercy of what the 3rd-party plug-in developers do or do not provide.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2013, 20:10   #3
bit-perfect_fan

why is there no plan for that? every other good player does already support wasapi, dunno why winamp should stay in stone age development.
Old 24th October 2013, 20:14   #4
DrO

because there isn't - if you want me to lie to you and say there is then i can if you want, but you asked and i gave you the answer (even if you don't like it).

as such, if wasapi is what you must use and what the community has provided does not fit your needs then you will need to use one of the other players if it's a must have feature for you. other players may have the resources to make such features but Winamp doesn't and in general, the maiko plug-in is able to do what's needed without having to be re-implemented natively (this is why there's a plug-in system so not everything has to be done by Winamp officially). and you're using wasapi even if using the DS plug-in since that support is built on top of the wasapi stack.
Old 25th October 2013, 02:34   #5
bit-perfect_fan

but maiko doesnt work with windows 8, thats the whole reason Im asking. otherwise Id be fine.

not sure if DS can use wasapi exclusive mode. Im not interested in the shared mode.
Old 25th October 2013, 02:37   #6
DrO

and have you tried to contact the plug-in author about getting a fixed version... ? (even though i know there's not been any activity from them on here for a while now, if a plug-in becomes incompatible, it's the plug-in author who needs to be contacted in most cases).
Old 25th October 2013, 02:58   #7
bit-perfect_fan

well now its getting a bit odd. Ive heard from many people so far that maiko doesnt work with windows 8 any more.

but here http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=222 and here http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=232 are indications that it does work or at least used to.

I myself havent tested it yet, because that is exactly the reason why I havent installed windos 8 yet, because I dont know whether its still going to work then or not.

so does anyone know whether it might still work with windows 8.1 64-bit and any (beta) version of winamp & any version of the plugin? anyone able to safely confirm this?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support