Old 24th December 2004, 16:01   #1
kirbydirby

Need help with Nintendo DS skin

I'm making a Nintendo DS skin, but I need some help.
Here is the url for my skin so far:
http://www.kennoshi.org/docs/DS2.wal

>code problems
1. Not all the buttons are working(ml,eq,crossfade)
2. when you click on shuffle or repeat, you don't see in the songticker it's currently setting (shuffle on/off),
3. There seems to be a magic line at x=200 where everything disappears if it's under it. Therefore you can't see the songticker.
4. I don't know how to make an equalizer that slides into the top screen.

>artistic problems
1. I can't get the DS logo in the upper right corner, left of the shade button, of every window.
2. I have no idea for the buttons when the DS is closed(shade mode)
3. I would like it if someone makes a new frame for the windows.

I used some scripts from other skins, so I would like to know if i need to change anything, because I don't want any trouble or that my skin is a 'rip'. If anyone has some ideas or suggestions I would like to hear them.
Thanks in advance.
kirbydirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2004, 17:58   #2
JW

Code:

1) You have the same param= setting for all three of those buttons. Each one is different, and there isn't one at all to activate the EQ (it's just action="EQ_TOGGLE"). The ml should be param="guid:{6B0EDF80-C9A5-11D3-9F26-00C04F39FFC6}" and the crossfade is cfgattrib="{FC3EAF78-C66E-4ED2-A0AA-1494DFCC13FF}". The hotspot for the EQ button seems to be REALLY small (I can only get it to work clicking just below it???). I got your EQ button working here, didn't try the ml or fade.

3) I don't have a lot of time to look through the code (wrapping presents ), but I suspect the group where the songticker is located, is sized smaller than the area in which you're attempting to display its parts.

Artistic:
1) You need to define that image as a layer in each .xml file for the component windows. You only have to define it as an element once, I believe.

The graphics look really good. It looks like you have your image, hoverimage and activeimage mixed up on several of them (when the EQ is on, for example, the image is dark; same with shuffle).

Before you go much further, you should probably tear into the code and get rid of anything you don't need. It looks like there's a lot in there that doesn't have to be there.

EDIT - I'm not sure why the ml isn't working (you have exactly what's in the modern skin). But what I put above is incorrect (that guid is for the component itself ).
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2004, 12:51   #3
Foxw

Re: Need help with Nintendo DS skin

Quote:
>>artistic problems
1. I can't get the DS logo in the upper right corner, left of the shade button, of every window.
2. I have no idea for the buttons when the DS is closed(shade mode)
3. I would like it if someone makes a new frame for the windows.
Well.. IT looks great, even from a non Nindendo proponent (feel out of the nintendo crowed back late 80's when I got let go).

But if you get a new frame that matchs the styling of the DS then incorping the logo shouldn't be too hard.

One thing I'd like to suggest, but your using (IMHO) too little of the interface. I'd like to see you say move the player controls onto the D-pad (like left is rewind, right is forward, up - play and down stop)

you could then put say PL, ML et on the action buttons on the right.

By opening up that top panel you could use it for visualizations instead and even have advanced vis's show there.

as for the shade mode. hmmm well aside from a slippin in the basic controls (which need to be in every mode) into the design.. not much there. Maybe you could just slip them into a drawer to keep them hidden away. hard call really

~Fox
Skins in dev | Prime | Untitled | STARGATE
My Deviantness
Foxw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 10:03   #4
kirbydirby

Tnx for the suggestions. I'll try to make more use of the interface. It was just easier to make large buttons. I also try to remove all the unnecessary code witch shouldn't be too hard. I hope that I can make a new frame, because I don’t know how to do that yet. I'm now more inspired thanks to the suggestions and because I now have my own DS XD.
Old 29th December 2004, 10:07   #5
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by kirbydirby
...because I now have my own DS XD.
And you are still finding time to make skins , man my life has been consumed by Mario64DS over the last few days, I'm glad to get back to work to get away for it, at least for a few hours...
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 11:25   #6
carlosp
Major Dude

heheheh, how old are you jones? 5 ? i am out of that age. I just played san andreas for ten hours with out a break and was addicted to it last week(and still ofcourse). I am already a big boy
carlosp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2004, 11:36   #7
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

I'm 33 if you must know and mobile gaming is just fun stuff, I never leave home without my GBA, and now probably the DS will be in my brief case as well.

I'm a gaming freak, so while I can't take my PS2 and Cube on the road with me, the next best thing comes along, I've played better stuff on teh GBA than you would see on some full size consoles.

Mobile gaming is fun for any age.

San Andreas?, been there done that , cracked off the final mission over xmas.

/Is San Andreas localised for you by the way? you are German right?, have they localised all the dialogue into German?
Old 29th December 2004, 12:04   #8
carlosp
Major Dude

nope, it is english with german subtitel and no blood i use my nokia (6230) for mobile gaming.
Old 29th December 2004, 12:17   #9
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Jesus, have the German censors still not got over their blood problem, I remember seeing a German version of C&C about 10 years ago now that had green blood and it used robots instead of little tiny people.

You use a phone for mobile gaming, surely you use a phone for phoning people and a games machine for gaming, novel idea I know, but nokia have hardly set the world on fire with there mobile/games hybrid phone *cough*ngage*cough
Old 29th December 2004, 14:43   #10
kirbydirby

Well, I need to do something when my DS is charging And I can't play 10 hours straight --'
Old 29th December 2004, 16:11   #11
carlosp
Major Dude

well, i use my phone for these :

-for mobile gaming
-for taking fotos
-for watching movies(real hollwood movies)
-hearing to mp3s
-transporing files on the memorys stick
-sending SMS
-and something i dont do that often "just use as a "telephone"

They will never get over that childisch selly censor thing. But the game full with blood and all those stuff if you set your PS2 language to english in main settings
Old 1st February 2005, 03:35   #12
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
Is this skin coming along? I fon't really follow modern skins, but as a DS fan this warrants some of my attention. I'd offer to help but I don't know anything about modern skins. I might be able to help you put game graphics if the modern skin format allows for that...

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins