Old 7th February 2006, 13:55   #1
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Iran to publish Holocaust cartoons

IRAN'S largest selling newspaper announced today it was holding a contest on cartoons of the Holocaust in response to the publishing in European papers of caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed.
"It will be an international cartoon contest about the Holocaust," said Farid Mortazavi, the graphics editor for Hamshahri newspaper - which is published by Teheran's conservative municipality.

He said the plan was to turn the tables on the assertion that newspapers can print offensive material in the name of freedom of expression.

"The Western papers printed these sacrilegious cartoons on the pretext of freedom of expression, so let's see if they mean what they say and also print these Holocaust cartoons," he said.

Iran's fiercely anti-Israeli regime is supportive of so-called Holocaust revisionist historians, who maintain the systematic slaughter by the Nazis of mainland Europe's Jews as well as other groups during World War II has been either invented or exaggerated.

Iran's hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad prompted international anger when he dismissed the systematic slaughter by the Nazis of mainland Europe's Jews as a "myth" used to justify the creation of Israel.

Advertisement:
Mr Mortazavi said tomorrow's edition of the paper will invite cartoonists to enter the competition, with "private individuals" offering gold coins to the best 12 artists - the same number of cartoons that appeared in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten.

Last week, the Iranian foreign ministry also invited British Prime Minister Tony Blair to Teheran to take part in a planned conference on the Holocaust, even though the idea has been branded by Mr Blair as "shocking, ridiculous, stupid".

Mr Blair also said Mr Ahmadinejad "should come and see the evidence of the Holocaust himself in the countries of Europe", to which Iran responded by saying it was willing to send a team of "independent investigators".

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117....html?from=rss
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 13:57   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Good, maybe we can start burning down their building in return......

/oh, wait.....
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 14:17   #3
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

A cartoon cold war.
/begins plans to produce civil defense movies educating the public on what to do when faced with paper armaggedon.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 14:22   #4
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Gold coins eh, I wonder if they accept freelance work ?
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 14:29   #5
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Hmm I am not sure what type of response they are expecting from the west? I certainly don't think it will be nearly as harsh as their response.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 14:57   #6
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Iran - circa March 2006:

No better way to deal with terrorists and extremists than to do onto them as they want to (and do) onto others. We can call it American Jihad and just call for the elimination of the Iranian state and much like Iran thinks the Holocaust didn't happen we can think the prophet Mohammed and the Quran don't exist either.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 15:22   #7
zootm
Forum King

Someone committed a murder in the US the other day.

No better way to deal with murderers.

Someone committed a rape in the UK fairly recently.

No better way to deal with rapists.

Someone in France voted for a far-right party in the last election.

No better way to deal with political extremists.

Quote:
We can call it American Jihad and just call for the elimination of the Iranian state and much like Iran thinks the Holocaust didn't happen we can think the prophet Mohammed and the Quran don't exist either.
"Hey, some of them are being silly! That means we can too!"

GROW THE FUCK UP.

Edit (calmer clarification):
You're supposed to be a civilised society - act like one. The argument here is that your society is more mature than that of Iran, which is something I'd say I agreed with. If you're more mature, use your more mature ways of dealing with things. Suggestions like yours infuriate me because they imply a childhood playground squabble level of maturity.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 15:39   #8
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
If we blew up their country, it would justify their desire to blow up ours. That's why we don't assassinate foreign leaders, or torture prisoners.
. . .

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 15:42   #9
YtseJam
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to YtseJam Send a message via AIM to YtseJam
I must say that the recent news regarding Iran this past month really amuse me.
It seems that they go over the top to make the world "angry" at them.

Oh well. *shrugs hopelessly*

YtseJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 16:36   #10
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by LuigiHann
If we blew up their country, it would justify their desire to blow up ours. That's why we don't assassinate foreign leaders, or torture prisoners.
. . .
I thought that "not kill foreign leaders" thing was because Kennedy screwed up when he tried to get Castro.

I think it might be getting to be time for a nuke or two. Tell these assholes to shut up ... period.

It's been said that not all muslims are terrorists. I'd say... not directly. But there are a lot of people that hide them and give them quarter.

I think our foreign policy needs to be more demanding. I think we should tell Iran NO! to their nuke program. I think if we don't yell loud enough to convince them, that we should turn the volume up with a few hundred megatons.

Holocaust pictures are fine with me. My kin, while german and dutch americans, were on the other side in WWII.

I think the US has shown a great deal of restraint.

Trust me. You never want to let me get control of a nuke sub.

Kudafi learned to "shut the fuck up" after Reagan bombed the piss out of Libya. You'll notice when the UN said "nuclear program" to him. He said "Here it is, it was a bad idea, please don't kill me"

"Have a coke and a smile" or "Die an unburied radioactive death". This american doesn't care much.

I'd much rather invite Iranians over for chicken and potato salad on Sunday. But they want Jihad. And "The customer is always right".
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 16:50   #11
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
I think it might be getting to be time for a nuke or two. Tell these assholes to shut up ... period.
Obviously that's not justified.

Quote:
It's been said that not all muslims are terrorists. I'd say... not directly. But there are a lot of people that hide them and give them quarter.
And still it's not all.

Quote:
I think our foreign policy needs to be more demanding. I think we should tell Iran NO! to their nuke program. I think if we don't yell loud enough to convince them, that we should turn the volume up with a few hundred megatons.
Fortunately for you, your country has so far been attempting Sensible Diplomacy. I realise it looks less cool on Fox News, but it'll probably have better effects.

Quote:
Holocaust pictures are fine with me. My kin, while german and dutch americans, were on the other side in WWII.
Of course they are. But if a publication in Denmark had organised a competition for them just to rile up Jews, the situation would likely have unfolded differently.

Quote:
I think the US has shown a great deal of restraint.

Trust me. You never want to let me get control of a nuke sub.
You have made your complete lack of rationality or value in human life abundantly clear, yes.

Old 7th February 2006, 17:37   #12
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
Of course they are. But if a publication in Denmark had organised a competition for them just to rile up Jews, the situation would likely have unfolded differently.
... I don't understand what you're saying here. Do you think the Danish newspaper's article was meant to rile up muslims?

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 17:58   #13
Mattress
Forum King

yeah it kind of was.
The purpose was to test freedom of speech when it came into conflict with multiculturalism.
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 18:51   #14
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx
... I don't understand what you're saying here. Do you think the Danish newspaper's article was meant to rile up muslims?
They printed a series of comics of the prophet to protest the fact that artists wouldn't draw the prophet because it would rile up Muslims. Although I realise it wasn't their (stated - and there is interesting debate about their honesty at present, although I'm personally inclined to believe them) primary goal, it was certainly a known effect.

I think they misjudged it, at least.

Old 7th February 2006, 20:14   #15
Mattress
Forum King

I think the funniest thing about this little response is that the newspapers in Iran don't have a freedom of the press/speech/expression.

Another thing is, no one is going to give a shit about their dumb holocaust cartoons. I only hope it makes them wonder why we didn't go apeshit like they did.
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 20:34   #16
dlichterman
Forum King

Hey if they publish those cartoons, can us jews go over there and kill some turbanheads and bomb some buildings

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 20:59   #17
mikm
Major Dude

Knock yourself out.