Old 21st January 2002, 07:29   #1
DogWings

Send a message via ICQ to DogWings
Pocket Amp

I've been working on this skin design. My plan is to place the play control buttons in the bottom half of the drawer along with the crossfade, shuffle and repeat buttons, and the put the level graph in the top half. Also thinking MAYBE of putting the thinger thingamabob in the bottom half of the drawer as well, building it right in.

I would like to have the minute hand do a single full rotation during the song, starting and ending at 12. The smaller dial will be the volume indicator.

This is my first skin, so I've got these ideas I've mentioned, and I think they will work, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd sure appreciate any suggestions on my ideas (and the skin in general), and any advice on putting together the code to make it work.

I am happy with the direction the design is going, although I have a few more things to tweak before I'll be completely satisfied with how it looks.

Thanks for any constructive help.
Attached Images
File Type: png pocketamp.png (53.0 KB, 439 views)
DogWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2002, 07:43   #2
HarderBeatz

Send a message via ICQ to HarderBeatz Send a message via AIM to HarderBeatz Send a message via Yahoo to HarderBeatz
Nice Idea althought there 's seems something wrong to me when the drawer is pulled out. Can't you make the border of the drawer like the watch ? But great idea I like it !
HarderBeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2002, 07:45   #3
PhotoFx
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to PhotoFx
hey that's a good design (i've been looking for a cheap pocket watch for some time now ), but i was thinking if you could make it so that the dial acutall followed the minutes of music, it woudl be very cool. you could have a little arrow around the side to indicate the length of the song or something. I think that would take some akward code though, and i can't help you with that. i like the concept, and you could maybe make a rotating ring for the volume if you wanted to use the minute and second hand like i sugested.

this one's fun, do it

oh yeah, and that rotating drawer thing i posted a while back might be cool instead of a sliding drawer.. you could rotate out an entire side or something... that way you'd also have a little more room.

PhotoFx -[=]-"Visual forms are not inherent in themselves, but are granted by the act of seeing..." -Trevor Goodchild
PhotoFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2002, 13:44   #4
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

neat
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2002, 14:09   #5
Naamloos
Forum King

Why is it greyscale and not in color?
Naamloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2002, 14:28   #6
DogWings

Making the dial (minute hand) follow the the minutes of the music is what I hope to be able to do. Maybe someone knows how it can be accomplished, I think it would be a really neat concept for this skin.

The drawer does look a little out of sync with the skin. I like the idea of something different. The rotating drawer idea seems interestng, but I think that post, PhotoFx, predates me in this forum. Perhaps you can point me to a url with that information?

Thanks for the support, y'all!
Old 21st January 2002, 14:31   #7
DogWings

color choices

I made it a gold watch, and I wasn't happy with the way it looked. The face actually has a little bit of yellowing, kind of an aging thing. The idea comes from my grandad's pocket watch, which was silver. When all is said and done, I could probably make a gold version as well.
Old 21st January 2002, 22:26   #8
Evil Pumpkin

Send a message via ICQ to Evil Pumpkin
Nice skin...
If U want some help on scripting feel free to PM me...

A kill is what you want - A kill is why we breed
my site | deviantart
WA2 Skins: Toxicity | SH5 | sacrifice
WA3 Skins: desmodus | Shura | HAL v1
Evil Pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2002, 22:57   #9
DogWings

Exclamation v 0.0.0.0.1

Using another skin as an example, I've gotten the volume control working, and the play control buttons placed on the main skin. If I can get the 'minute hand' working, I may have to move the play buttons. The song title... I'm gonna have to move it when I get the drawer figured out. I wanted to get a usable version up so I can use it, and I thought I'd go ahead and post it for preliminary reviews.

I'll be PM'ing you Evil Pumpkin. I appreciate the offer for help as I learn how to do this. Thanks!

PocketAMP Alpha
Old 22nd January 2002, 00:56   #10
PhotoFx
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to PhotoFx
sorry to be so delayed, here's the thread for the rotating drawer idea. It's just a thought, but it might fit in better with the watch concept.

PhotoFx -[=]-"Visual forms are not inherent in themselves, but are granted by the act of seeing..." -Trevor Goodchild
PhotoFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2002, 07:10   #11
Hollow
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Hollow
you could use the rotation lib and some string/text functions to synch the minute hand to time. its shouldnt be to difficult.

The moon is made of cheese.
Oh for some tasty moon cheese.
www.redtetrahedron.org
Hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2002, 23:47   #12
DogWings

Talking

I undertake things like this in order to keep myself grounded. I am really grounded right now. I'll look into that HollowEarth, and see what I can dig up. I got no idea what yous is talkin' about.

But I do appreciate the help. At least now I have somewhere to begin.
Old 25th January 2002, 10:39   #13
Aspiration

Quote:
Originally posted by DogWings
I'll look into that HollowEarth, and see what I can dig up. I got no idea what yous is talkin' about.
I have no idea what he's talking about either, but it sounds rather cool.
Aspiration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2002, 04:41   #14
DogWings

Working Minute Hand

Thanks to some fantastic coding from Evil Pumpkin (thank you), the minute hand now makes a full rotation with each song. I am impressed with Evil Pumpkin's work on this, because the shadow keeps the proper perspective as the hand rotates. Yeah, it's a goofy little thing, but I'm a simpleton.

I think that Evil Pumpkin may still be working on this effect, but I wanted to release it now to see what everyone thinks so far.

I wonder if anybody thinks is would be possible, or even desirable to add the 'hour' hand and have it point to the song number of the playlist. Of course, if there were more than 12 songs in the playlist it wouldn't work, but it's just a thought. Any comments regarding that idea?

PocketAMP Second Release
Old 26th January 2002, 06:27   #15
QHOBBES
Banned

Send a message via AIM to QHOBBES Send a message via Yahoo to QHOBBES
you should do something with windwheel, maybe have it as a cogwheel
or something or have it move up and down to the bass, use the speaker
script or something.
QHOBBES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2002, 10:35   #16
HarderBeatz

Send a message via ICQ to HarderBeatz Send a message via AIM to HarderBeatz Send a message via Yahoo to HarderBeatz
Woohoo nice done very original idea. Only problem with the skin is that I get a beatiful guru meditation error but the volume and seeker go it 's very strange .
HarderBeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2002, 10:40   #17
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by HarderBeatz
Woohoo nice done very original idea. Only problem with the skin is that I get a beatiful guru meditation error but the volume and seeker go it 's very strange .
Huh?
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2002, 14:15   #18
DogWings

I thought about doing something with the winder, but couldn't figure out anything that would make sense, so I bagged that idea for now.

Good call on the minute hand nemesis, I hadn't noticed that. I don't know jack about scripting really, so it is gonna take me some time to get that figured out and fixed.

Thanks HarderBeatz, I get the error too. Again, my lack of scripting will slow down that fix. If anybody is looking at that and saying "i can fix that in about 2 seconds" - go for it. PM the fix to me and I'll credit ya. Thanks. Any more ideas & feedback are welcome!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins