Old 27th November 2002, 16:22   #1
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

AGP Slot

Check the attachment.

Since putting in my Geforce 4 Ti on Monday, and changing into my new case (see that here) I noticed that the AGP slot has somehow either melted or become damaged in some way. At the moment it is not affecting it, but I am a bit stumped as to what has caused it, and wondered if anyone had any ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg agpslot.jpg (51.3 KB, 198 views)
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 16:36   #2
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Hmm. I'd start saving for a new mobo if i were you. And switch back to your old card for now.

Just a guess, but it looks like the card is drawing more current than the pins in the slot can handle, causing them to heat up. I just find it unbelievable its happened without causing the thing to crash...

Nice lookin case btw.

[edit] Looking again, the pins dont seem to be in the right possition for it to melt there....Its strange[/edit]
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 18:48   #3
n_ick2000
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to n_ick2000 Send a message via Yahoo to n_ick2000
Yeah, I'd start savinging for a new mobo. In the meantime, no damage right? From the looks of things, it's just the plastic part where the lock normally goes that's melted. I don't think it's THAT bad for it. Just replace the mobo when you can.

|
n_ick2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 18:58   #4
Sandman2012
<3 foobar2k
(Forum King)

I've been having computer problems since I tried to install a Geforce4 ti4400. I returned the vid card and put my old one back in. Still had problems. My comp is under warranty and the company sent me a new mobo and a new hd and I still have the same problems. Troubleshooting this problem has been a bitch.
Sandman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 19:23   #5
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

bilbo: where'd you get that case from? I've been thinking about getting one like that. is it any good?

I got a geforce 4 4200 ti and have had 0 problems with it

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 22:03   #6
Bilbo Baggins

http://66.70.32.183/specialtech/inde...&g=chh&s=CCBla

Thats the one that I got Will. Its dead easy to get into, and there is lots of room for maneovre, the only downside is my dvdrom, cdrw and livedrive are all white, and its a silver case so it looks odd
Old 27th November 2002, 22:05   #7
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
the only downside is my dvdrom, cdrw and livedrive are all white, and its a silver case so it looks odd
Nothing a quick coat of paint wouldnt fix.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 22:13   #8
raydream
Banned

Bilbo, it isnt broken, well, it is, but its not going to effect your computer, just make sure the card is securely screwed in, Most modern motherboards now come with a white latch which clicks into place when you shove the agp card in, from the picture, it looks as if it has been in the lock position when you pushed in the card, hence snaping off the locking arm.
see below

HOWEVER, if the board never had a locking arm, its probably just a result of a case bang, since its firmly in, if you hit the back of the pc, the horizontal card will push back in the slot and snap the end.

also, the actual slots themselves are made of very brittle plastic, so that are astonishingly easy to break, as long as the card sinks below the snapped area, it shouldnt cause any problems.
raydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2002, 12:48   #9
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
hang on. you buy a raedon 9700, which you sell in order to buy a gf4 ti4400?
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2002, 13:34   #10
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
You broke the retaining clip for the card, nothing more. If it is a desktop, then you're fine - the weight of the card is keeping it in the slot, but if it's in a tower case, the card could eventually fall out (in theory) if it happens to be a heavy card, or from vibrations from fan startup, etc.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2002, 14:30   #11
Bilbo Baggins

Quote:
Originally posted by binary hero
hang on. you buy a raedon 9700, which you sell in order to buy a gf4 ti4400?
I was a bit over enthusiastic. I shouldn't have spent £300 on the ATi, and I sold it as i was very short of money (being a student an all).
Old 29th November 2002, 15:33   #12
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by ethan_h
You broke the retaining clip for the card, nothing more. If it is a desktop, then you're fine - the weight of the card is keeping it in the slot, but if it's in a tower case, the card could eventually fall out (in theory) if it happens to be a heavy card, or from vibrations from fan startup, etc.
i agree - it looks just like the clip's been snapped off, rather than a melting thing. that'll teach ya to be over zealous when putting in components!

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2002, 16:11   #13
PabUK
Major Dude

This topic is so dissapointing. I figured that Bilbo + the word slot in the title + attachment = some great comedy. Turns out it is really about an AGP slot.

In support of aggressive sex with llamas, and freedom from the obligation to explain.
Pawhosting.com | Pawsoft.com | Pawdesign.com | PabUK.com
PabUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions