Old 17th September 2001, 04:43   #1
schroederd

Fullscreen visualizations on secondary monitor

I'd like to display full screen visualizations on the secondary monitor in a multiple monitor configuration (win98). All the visualization plug-ins I've looked at only display on the primary monitor when in full screen. Are there any plug-ins that will let you select which monitor to display on?

Alternatively, is there a simple way to fool the existing plug-ins to display on the secondary monitor?

TIA

D.
schroederd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2001, 04:44   #2
Sawg

I THINK this is how you do it:
Preferences (Ctrl-P) > Options > "Multi-monitor and Litestep VWM compatible mode"

then move the vis box over to the second windows and make fullscreen from there
Old 17th September 2001, 05:21   #3
schroederd

Thanks for the fast response.

No, that doesn't work. Apparently the "multi-monitor" check box fixes some other issues but it doesn't change the full screen behaviour. As soon as I select full screen the visualization jumps to the primary display.

Searching Microsoft Knowledge Base indicates that a program must be written with multi-monitor support in mind in order to work correctly. Many of the Microsoft screen savers display only on the primary display.

Searching these forums suggested that perhaps Mr. Geiss had written a plug-in that would work correctly on multiple monitors. However I didn't find any recent posts on the topic, and none with a specific solution.

There was a suggestion of using a "double shell", which I assume means a Windows shell extension which implements multiple virtual desktops. I've briefly looked at LiteStep but it looks like overkill for what I'm trying to accomplish.

I suppose I could check all the visualization plug-ins for their full screen behaviour, but I do need to get SOME work done.

D.
schroederd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2001, 05:25   #4
Sawg

this has been brough up a lot, I;ll bring it up on the Offical wishlist next week
Old 17th September 2001, 06:44   #5
TechJosh

Workaround for Multiple Monitor setup

I know it isnt the best way to do this, but it is possible to "switch" your primary and secondary monitors. This would allow you to use the fullscreen plugin on the second monitor. It is very simple to do... just drag the toolbar from one monitor to the other and move all your icons. Then go into the display properties and hit the settings tab. You will see two pictures of monitors representing their resolution and position relative to each other. Simply grab monitor 1 and drag it to the other side of monitor 2. Then disconnect each monitor from the computer and plug the second monitor into the primary card and the first monitor into the secondary card. This will in effect perform as you desire in regards to the winamp plugin, however it may not work for other things that you usually do. For example, most dialog boxes will popup on the primary monitor regardless of the window from which they were spawned. Also fullscreen directx games and applications requiring video overlay will only function in the primary monitor.
TechJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2001, 10:34   #6
Slogra

Milkdrop (the best VIS ever) has multimon support
Slogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2001, 20:15   #7
AjStone
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to AjStone Send a message via AIM to AjStone Send a message via Yahoo to AjStone
Good topic

I concur with the thread starter. Multi-Monitor support should be incorporated in the WA2 interface. Btw, what's the link to Milkdrop?
AjStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2001, 20:46   #8
Slogra

You can find the link by pressing the "plug-ins" tab at the top of this page. Then scroll a bit down and type "milkdrop" in the "search for" box... you lazy tit!
Slogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2001, 21:56   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

http://www.geisswerks.com
http://www.nullsoft.com/free/milkdrop/
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2001, 18:43   #10
AjStone
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to AjStone Send a message via AIM to AjStone Send a message via Yahoo to AjStone
Thanks for link, but what about multimon?

I'm gonna give the plugin a try, but still, the main problem is integration of multi-monitor support in existing WA plugins. I'm not complaining, but I would like a status report.
AjStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 04:30   #11
Platzformer

I HAVE THE ANSWER! Well at least it works for me running a secondary monitor. Here is what I did:

Options>Visualization>Configure Plug In (To enter this screen you cannot have the Visualization tab open)

Common Settings Tab>
The changes you will make are in the Fullscreen Settings portion
Display Adapter> In the drop down menu select 2. Then check Use Fake fullscreen mode

Click the DualHead button (bottom right)
On this screen there are two drop down menus. BOTH should be "span both screens"

This worked for me and my setup. I hope this helps =)
Platzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support