Queer 31 46.97%
I'm gay and find your gaybashing offensive 17 25.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th July 2002, 10:08   #1
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Fuck The RIAA

Fuck stupid royalties that most shoutcast streams can not in their right mind and finacial income possibly aford to pay.

Royalties should be paid on a less than radio basis because less people listen to internet radio.

Any other thoughts?

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2002, 18:24   #2
slacker52

Send a message via AIM to slacker52
you shouuld know the riaa is comprised of satanic great apes, you shouldve put that option in your poll
slacker52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2002, 20:23   #3
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Quote:
I'm gay and find your gaybashing offensive
well ok I'm not but I just find it offencive to use GAY as a detremental term.

but I go with slacker52

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2002, 23:26   #4
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

I agree with vie about using gay as a bad thing..
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2002, 00:33   #5
randman

I agree. Although I'm not gay, I find it inappropriate to use the words gay or queer to indicate something is terrible or bad.
Old 8th July 2002, 00:46   #6
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

why am i persecuted for being politically incorrect. sigh.

The RIAA is
1. Stupid
2. Ugly
3. Nearsighted
4. Smelly

I cant use those options cuz they make fun of stupid ugly nearsighted people that smell bad.

I'm Back?
Old 8th July 2002, 00:55   #7
randman

I'm ugly and nearsighted. Now I'm really pissed.
Old 8th July 2002, 01:36   #8
slacker52

if you noticed, the music industry hasnt updated its hardware as recently as the movie industry, and gaming.(ie:movies can now be found on dvd, and games come in bigger[i think] packeges. such music packeges havent changed since '84)
Old 8th July 2002, 06:08   #9
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

i like that one lawsuit about the music industry putting copy right protections on cds and still putting the CDDA lable on it saying it an Audio CD. It wont play in some players and it crashes PC's so some lawyer is suing them for false advertising. Saying its an Audio CD cuz it has that lable but not giving him an Audio CD rather a CopyRight Protected non standard CD.

They are trying out two new standards that suck. SuperCD and DVD Audio. one thing they dont have ANY dvd audio players. 2 the CD was defacto.

For movies it was VCR's. The jump from video tape to DVD was like the jump from audio tape to CD. so you could say the movie industry was well behind in technology.

Also games use to be in cartridges that held in the beginning not much. Sega CD and bam 16mb of data now became 650mb.

The jump from CD to DVD isnt really a big jump. Who needs that many songs on a DVD? who makes CD's which are maxed out? not many artist even today utilize the full capacity of cd's so why make this consumer costly super crap?

I'm Back?
Old 8th July 2002, 06:45   #10
Khakionion

Send a message via ICQ to Khakionion Send a message via AIM to Khakionion Send a message via Yahoo to Khakionion
Quote:
not many artist even today utilize the full capacity of cd's so why make this consumer costly super crap?
Well...CD's and DVD's aren't really that expensive, seeing as how you can get a spindle of 50CDs for the same price as Missy Elliot's latest abomination

15 dollars for a CD isn't because the CD itself is expensive, it's because the RIAA has to...
Quote:
Originally quoted by Barret, Final Fantasy 7
...line their own damn pockets with gold!
That's right, RIAA = Shin-Ra Corp. ph34r.
Khakionion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2002, 00:13   #11
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

yes but if the RIAA decides to stop putting music on CD's and instead on DVD Audio or Super CD's I will have to buy a new CD player. I don't want to do that.

Good news is that new players comming out support every conciveable standard. DVD DVDaudio SuperCD VCD SVCD CD DDCD whatever.

I'm Back?
Old 9th July 2002, 01:02   #12
slacker52

the simplist solution here i see is all record lables dropping from the riaa
Old 9th July 2002, 01:05   #13
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

a better solution is to stop listening to mainstream computer enhaced bands and listen to local stuff. stuff that circumvents the riaa. i havent bought a cd from a cd store in three or four years

i have recently purchased 4 professionally (non burned) looking cd's from local groups from rap to rock and they sound awesome. plus their music is closer to home for me. touching on stuff that involves me more.

and its cheaper 10$ was the most expensive CD

I'm Back?
Old 9th July 2002, 03:06   #14
bitermc

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteflip
a better solution is to stop listening to mainstream computer enhaced bands and listen to local stuff. stuff that circumvents the riaa.
I agree with you, RIAA's commercial crap is being boring as ever. There's a whole potential of true music at unsigned and indie bands.
bitermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2002, 06:17   #15
randman

A rather interesting, well-written article by Janis Ian (70's rock/folk artist) appears on *********RIAA. It's somewhat long but well worth the read. Truly, the RIAA must be the most short-sighted group of greedy bastards. Oh well, please read the article.
Old 9th July 2002, 06:23   #16
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

the most short sighted group of bastards is the the christian right or peta or the NRA. but the RIAA is way up there.

hmmm that website looks really familiar. i wonder if riaa.com has anything to say about it!

I'm Back?
Old 9th July 2002, 08:01   #17
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
All I have to say is that DVD music disks would be a godsend for classical listners. It would be incredibly wonderful for say... to have all of Bach's Brandenburg concertos on one disk- or for that matter a third of his ouevre. (How much do DVD's hold again? )

A big Yay for DVD music!
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2002, 01:32   #18
apollos
Forum King

Hmm... It's all very nice.. I dislike the RIAA too but what good will bitching about it do?

Its done and thats that, KaZaA will be next and we will be left with the cows bollocks (eg Gnutella) or whatever shit is out there.

apollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2002, 03:38   #19
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

dvd's hold 4.7gb
cd's hold 650-700mb

1 dvd can hold 7 or so cd's

1 dvd can hold 535minutes of uncompressed music

however dvd audio uses mpeg shit that is like mp3 technology. it gets rid of the stuff we "cant" hear to make files smaller. so all dvd audio disks will also be lossly and compressed audio disks. thats shit.

I'm Back?
Old 10th July 2002, 05:59   #20
slacker52

hmm, perhaps i should get a hard drive based mp3 player, slap in a 40 gig hd, hmm, now thats alot of music
Old 21st July 2002, 03:19   #21
Edwards

Quote:
why am i persecuted for being politically incorrect. sigh.

The RIAA is
1. Stupid
2. Ugly
3. Nearsighted
4. Smelly

I cant use those options cuz they make fun of stupid ugly nearsighted people that smell bad.
No, you can use those, because they come from a personal point of view. You're the person judging that. You can't judge whether someone is gay or not.

and yes, i am gay, now stop staring, i made these words tiny for a reason

The crazy-right bible-humpers, and the RIAA piss me off the most.
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2002, 06:27   #22
skyblack

The RIAA is
1. a bunch of anal-retentive killjoy's who wouldn't know good music from a giant fart
2. a bunch of AIDS-infected eunuchs who wouldn't know good music from a giant fart
3. a bunch of robots controlled by Satan to surpress decent bands and who wouldn't know good music from a giant fart
4. a bunch of middle-aged assholes who sleep around with Tipper Gore and who wouldn't know good music from a giant fart

I don't know. It's a toss-up.
skyblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2002, 06:35   #23
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

20.4% of the posters in this thread are gay.

I'm Back?
Old 24th July 2002, 11:37   #24
apollos
Forum King

Here's a new thought, How about you stop bitching about the RIAA who have the right to stop people getting music that people work hard for to make and go buy your own music in the shops. I may not like the decision to close Audiogalaxy but... I am more than willing to buy a CD in the shops
Old 24th July 2002, 18:27   #25
ProneaX

Send a message via AIM to ProneaX
Quote:
Originally posted by Inatlantis
Here's a new thought, How about you stop bitching about the RIAA who have the right to stop people getting music that people work hard for to make and go buy your own music in the shops. I may not like the decision to close Audiogalaxy but... I am more than willing to buy a CD in the shops
Hmm well I'm not saying I'm not willing to buy a cd in stores<edit> actually I am</edit>, but for 20 freakin bucks it's not worth it most people only want like 3 or 4 songs from a cd anyway. Artists just see mainstream Labels as the only way to go when they start up which means they get sucked into the RIAA and their shit. Many bands want to cut their record label contracts but can't. They hate the restrictions about distributing their music. A Record label should be a company that gets good cd production prices and recording studios for bands because of mass ordering. But when they start lining their pockets and creating large complex companies that do shit it doesn't equate. A mainstream cd should cost 5 bucks. A single should cost like 2 bucks. Then people would buy lots of cds, and file sharing would go down. Also, the RIAA stabbs itself in the back by going after file sharing. Many people find good music that way because MTV is shit now and then they buy the albums of the good music they find on the internet. Record Lables should offer paid-download services at high bitrates I know I would get tons of music that way. Right now it's just not cost effective to pay 15 20 or even just 10 bucks for like 3 songs.
ProneaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 00:52   #26
rm'
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ProneaX

Hmm well I'm not saying I'm not willing to buy a cd in stores<edit> actually I am</edit>, but for 20 freakin bucks it's not worth it most people only want like 3 or 4 songs from a cd anyway.
Yes, but that doesn't give you the right to steal. I'd like to buy a Ferrari for $25 000 because I plan on only driving it below 120km/h. Would I go out and steal one because Ferrari is charging exhorbitant prices for their products? No, I'll just wait until I can afford one, or go without.
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 07:46   #27
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

i bought daft punk, paul oakenfold, kyile minogue, and dirty vegas

bands you dont know. i bought edible pet, soybomb, and benchgrinder

i dont buy pop top 40 very much or cd's with copy right protections cuz they aren't CDDA.

where did i find this music? online on file swapping services

the thing an artist wants the most is exposure. radio cost too much mtv isnt a viable option and touring is also costly. the interent is the best option.

I'm Back?
Old 25th July 2002, 11:03   #28
apollos
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by rm'

Yes, but that doesn't give you the right to steal.
I think this pretty much sums up the thread. We have NO right to steal from music companies. Yes CD's are expensive, but an ordinary person isn't going to walk into a car dealers and ask for a free car because it happens to be too epxensive!

[edit] i just read up after posting and rm' has said basically the same thing [/edit]
Old 25th July 2002, 11:29   #29
rabidgoht

Location: Happily in love and struggling to get a good job{{florida sucks,,damn tourists...go home}}
Send a message via AIM to rabidgoht
if they go after kazaa im gonna be seriously pissed..... i dont dl all that much music but i dont wanna go to a music store to pay $17.64 for a chicago{ great 70's band fer those that dont know} cd that has only one song i want... that would be total bull shit.... and truthfully.. when your selling music and making multimillions on it... does it really matter if a few 100'000 peole are sharing it online...?? i dont know.... fuqem all..... im confused as to what i think about this now.....
rabidgoht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 11:53   #30
apollos
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by rabidgoht
if they go after kazaa im gonna be seriously pissed.....
Whis is why iMesh exists. Its has all that KaZaA does, if not more, downloads faster and personally, I prefer it over KaZaA. It isn't one of these bullshit programs like Blubster which is the cows bollocks!

Use AdAware to remove all of its adware and the program still works
Old 25th July 2002, 22:30   #31
fishtybuns

Quote:

They are trying out two new standards that suck. SuperCD and DVD Audio. one thing they dont have ANY dvd audio players. 2 the CD was defacto.

Whoah, dude, ALL DVD players that have been sold since May this year are capable of playing DVD-Audio.

Where's the beef?
fishtybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 22:35   #32
fishtybuns

Quote:
Originally posted by Inatlantis
Hmm... It's all very nice.. I dislike the RIAA too but what good will bitching about it do?

Its done and thats that, KaZaA will be next and we will be left with the cows bollocks (eg Gnutella) or whatever shit is out there.

Do you mean like, WinMX, which kicks the Llamas ass compared to KaZaa. Also consider that Kazaa is still closed down due to the recent injunction regarding their spy-software porting practices.

MIT has proved beyond doubt that this is the case with Kazaa and not WinMX (WinMX contains absolutely no spyware.)
fishtybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 23:59   #33
patroclus22
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to patroclus22 Send a message via Yahoo to patroclus22
I find the gay bashing severely offensive. Please don't use do that again.

Flypaper for the walking wounded since 1997
patroclus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2002, 00:00   #34
apollos
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by fishtybuns
[B]Do you mean like, WinMX, which kicks the Llamas ass compared to KaZaa.
your joking right?

WinMX... hmm.. how can i summ it up.... CONNCTING.......

whiteflip, your homophoebia is childish and i find it quite offensive.
Old 26th July 2002, 09:58   #35
Jay
Moderator Alumni

the riaa loves you though
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2002, 11:01   #36
apollos
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by KXRM
It does?
Old 26th July 2002, 11:04   #37
rabidgoht

Location: Happily in love and struggling to get a good job{{florida sucks,,damn tourists...go home}}
Send a message via AIM to rabidgoht
Quote:
Originally posted by KXRM
huh? ummm ... yeah... okie.....
rabidgoht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2002, 11:40   #38
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

im talking about dvd audio players I WOULD USE. IE Portable. Portable CD Players are the best.

I just dont like the fact that DVD Audio players will have imprefctions built in.

Quote:
Yes CD's are expensive, but an ordinary person isn't going to walk into a car dealers and ask for a free car because it happens to be too epxensive!
ugh. haggeling... yeah. unless you ONLY buy Saturns... right now they are basically giving cars away. you must be like hibernating or something.

I'm Back?
Old 29th July 2002, 13:22   #39
Aero Zeppelin
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Aero Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Aero Zeppelin
The RIAA shows its love for us fans of music by sueing us and making us get upset at them and taking away our rights as humans. Thank you so much for that. We all appreciate it very much.

If anyone ever gets taken to court by those stupid sons of bitches, they should do what I would do. Let the RIAA do what they want in court and it will attract the attention of the federal government and they will investigate the constitutionalism of that, just like they have been doing for all the big companies. Microsoft, Enron, AOL Time Warner (yes it is going on right now), MCI WorldCom...

Legalize It. Liberate It. Free The People of the United States. Free The Herbs Of The World!
Aero Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2002, 00:22   #40
letmepost

Quote:
Originally posted by Apollos

I think this pretty much sums up the thread. We have NO right to steal from music companies. Yes CD's are expensive, but an ordinary person isn't going to walk into a car dealers and ask for a free car because it happens to be too epxensive!

[edit] i just read up after posting and rm' has said basically the same thing [/edit]
i guess i'm joining this thread pretty late so i doubt anyone is reading this, but here are my 2 cents.

this really isn't analagous to a car dealer for a number of reasons. the primary question is one of value. people expect value for what they pay for and it's wrong to just rip them off. the riaa does not produce anything. it doesn't (i would argue) contribute very much to society. they are remnants of a time when artists needed a way to market themselves and to distribute their products easily. with the advent of the internet, the riaa (in its present form) is mostly obsolete. they (along with ascap which owns the rights to radio) preserve a monopoly on music which is sickening. the government went after microsoft for behavior deemed dispicable yet essentially laughed at napster's claims against these orgs. the riaa has a death grip on artists; yet no one seems to give a damn.

the question remains, why these organizations are allowed to hold essentially perpetual copyrights on these works when the constitution clearly states that copyrights are limited. it does not make any sense that they can demand to continue to make money on works by artists who have long since died. in no industry other than entertainment, can a worker or business demand a continuous stream of payments for work completed in the past (patents remember expire like they are supposed to). not even politicians demand to be paid for their work. we don't pay tithes to the estates of thomas jefferson for penning the declaration of independence do we? and yet, everyday not only americans but also people all over the world continue to benefit from its ideas. why should songs then never pass into the public domain to be enjoyed by everyone? not even long after the composer, writer, and original performer have died? i agree whole heartedly that those who contribute to these artistic works should be well compensated for their efforts, talent, and hard work. but isn't it a bit ridiculous to think that they should keep profiting from a song they wrote 10 years ago? isn't enough enough? it's even more ridiculous to think that some organization should continue to make money off of the artist's work EVEN AFTER THE ARTIST IS DEAD. come on. that's just silly. i can't imagine a world in which we would have to continue to pay for such things. thank god, shakespeare was around before all this crap came about.

and now the scary part. if these fools have their way, at some time in the near future this will become a dead point. they're working hard to make their grip on music and movies (yeah why not throw the mpaa in there too) technological instead of legal. at some point they'll have the stuff locked up so tight that it'll be impossible to do anything with. when they start charging not per copy but per each time you listen, or watch or even think about (ok maybe not that last one), what are you going to do? it's really not that far off. click a song, it connects to the server and tells it you listened. boom. an extra 50cents on your next credit card bill. believe me this is in the works. microsoft is trying to convert software into a service not a product. the riaa is learning from their example (monopolists tend to think alike). and at that point, when they're holding all the money, all the music, all the movies, and all the politicians, it'll be just a little too late to cry...
letmepost is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist