Old 4th June 2011, 19:40   #1
vibeoneonine

How do I list existing station in SHOUTcast Directory?

I already have a station with a third party host and I'd like to have my station listed in the SHOUTcast directory. I found the following information at this url http://winamp.shoutcast.com/faq:

"If you are an existing broadcaster (who already has an on-line station set-up) and want to be listed in the SHOUTcast Radio directory while still using your existing streaming server architecture, you will need to set up the SHOUTcast Radio software and use that to list your station in the directory. In this case, the SHOUTcast Broadcaster Software will act as a relay to list your station in the directory. The relay can be set up in one of the ways listed above, with the audio input being your existing streaming server."

The link provided in that copy directed me to the SHOUTcast homepage. I'm unsure of precisely what I need to download. Can someone provide me with more information or instruction? Thank you!
vibeoneonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 13:29   #2
elpotente

It was here:

http://www.shoutcast.com/user/profile/

But its offline since months. I emailed them to get into the directory on 30may and didnt got answer.

Maybe someone have more info about this.
elpotente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 13:34   #3
DrO

elpotente: see http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=46 for what to do. vibeoneonine's issue is how to setup a relay (which isn't fully working with the YP2 system) rather than how to get an authhash for listing via the YP2 system.

and just because it's not been publically available doesn't mean it's not been working for months as i've been providing authhashes for people since the start of may which is only a bit over a month since the public page went away (which isn't too bad considering what i know).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 22:47   #4
elpotente

Oh thanks! Didnt see that post
elpotente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 16:57   #5
vibeoneonine

DrO,
I've also sent the above inquiry via the feedback form but I've yet to get a direct response here or via email. In your response to elpotente, are you saying that the listing (and/or relay) I seek is not possible now because it's not "working with the YP2 system"? I'd sincerely appreciate the clarification. Thanks!
vibeoneonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 18:06   #6
DrO

with the feedback aspect, i'm not sure who / when that gets checked and replied to.

with the rest of your question, as i don't know what you're actually using to broadcast i can't really comment other than if you've using a v1 DNAS then listing in the directory with as is or as a relay works fine, if you're using a v2 DNAS then you'd need an authhash and if trying to list a relay then you'd need to wait for that to be fixed (listing of non-relays works fine with the v2 DNAS).

-daz
Old 18th October 2011, 14:47   #7
jlwasmer

I'm only interested in SHOUTCast V2.

If I understand correctly, if I already stream my stations (with 3rd party software that supports SHOUTCast output) but i just need to publish them to the directory I need to setup a DNAS relay server but this isn't working with v2. Is this correct?

I guess I still need to send my stream to the DNAS server? It will then take care of publishing my streamers to the YP? I don't want ppl to stream using the DNAS relay (I want them to use my 3rd party streamers).

How do you configure a DNAS to be a relay?
jlwasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 14:56   #8
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwasmer View Post
If I understand correctly, if I already stream my stations (with 3rd party software that supports SHOUTCast output) but i just need to publish them to the directory I need to setup a DNAS relay server
correct.

Quote:
but this isn't working with v2. Is this correct?
that's not correct to my knowledge - there were issues with the earlier v2 beta builds where the YP rejected relayed streams, but that should all be resolved now.

Quote:
I guess I still need to send my stream to the DNAS server? It will then take care of publishing my streamers to the YP? I don't want ppl to stream using the DNAS relay (I want them to use my 3rd party streamers).
if you're using a relay, clients will use the relay server to provide the stream if accessed from the directory listing. that is not something which can be changed (and possibly you're not quite following the point of relaying from how you've phrased the second part of what i've quoted).

Quote:
How do you configure a DNAS to be a relay?
use the 'simple' example config and then add streamrelayurl=address of the stream to it. as long as that works, you then just need to follow http://wiki.winamp.com/wiki/SHOUTcas...ash_Management to get an authhash for the stream so it'll be correctly listed in the Directory.

-daz
Old 18th October 2011, 15:27   #9
jlwasmer

So the value of "streamrelayurl" is where the DNAS gets the stream? It is not the address it will publish to the directory.
What address will be published then? Is it the public IP address as seen by the directory?

If I have multiple streams/stations to publish, do I need to run multiple instances of the DNAS software?
Old 18th October 2011, 15:42   #10
DrO

Quote:
So the value of "streamrelayurl" is where the DNAS gets the stream? It is not the address it will publish to the directory.
What address will be published then? Is it the public IP address as seen by the directory?
streamrelayurl is basically the same as a normal source as far as the DNAS will be concerned. what is published is the public IP of the DNAS instance as the YP sees and will basically not set the listing to something else (there is some provision via destip but if that check fails then the listing shouldn't happen).

Quote:
If I have multiple streams/stations to publish, do I need to run multiple instances of the DNAS software?
that will all depend on the volume of client connections / bandwidth available on the machine relaying the stream since you can do multiple streams/stations with the v2 DNAS as long as there's enough resources for what you're doing, otherwise it can be done with the v2 DNAS as just one stream/station per DNAS instance. quite why you're not already using the DNAS doesn't quite follow as that would prevent the need to relay the streams and would be able to be listed directly in one step.

-daz
Old 18th October 2011, 17:42   #11
jlwasmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
there is some provision via destip but if that check fails then the listing shouldn't happen
Do you mean "dstip". The config builder describes it as: "Listeners bind address" and "Enter the server side binding address for listeners."

Let's say the DNAS can bind on this address, will this be used by the registry EVEN if it is not the address used by the DNAS to access the internet? (and to talk to the YP).
This would be the case on a machine with multiple public interfaces but for which the default route goes through an interface where incoming connections are not allowed by the firewall.

Quote:
you can do multiple streams/stations with the v2 DNAS as long as there's enough resources for what you're doing
I guess each stream is a different path?

Quote:
why you're not already using the DNAS doesn't quite follow as that would prevent the need to relay the streams and would be able to be listed directly in one step.
We already have a streaming platform in place (uses Flash players). We would like to expand it and offer SHOUTCast 2 for some streams (which our streamers can output) we just miss the directory publishing feature... makes sense?

Last edited by jlwasmer; 18th October 2011 at 18:02. Reason: missing punctuation
Old 19th October 2011, 14:57   #12
DrO

Quote:
Do you mean "dstip". The config builder describes it as: "Listeners bind address" and "Enter the server side binding address for listeners."
dstip or destip (which is the v1 name and is what will only be supported officially in the next v2 drop - dstip will be read but not re-saved), it's treated as the same when the DNAS loads the config file.

Quote:
Let's say the DNAS can bind on this address, will this be used by the registry EVEN if it is not the address used by the DNAS to access the internet? (and to talk to the YP).
the option is there to tell the YP what IP that DNAS is running on _if_ you're running it on a different network IP from what the YP might try to work out. and that is what the YP will use to then test the validity of the stream which does have checks to prevent fake listings.

Quote:
This would be the case on a machine with multiple public interfaces but for which the default route goes through an interface where incoming connections are not allowed by the firewall.
that would be the legit usage of that config option.

Quote:
I guess each stream is a different path?
correct, it's usually serveraddress/stream/x/ where x is the stream # (though the next drop will revert stream #1 to act more like a v1 DNAS so it'll just be serveraddress/ unless you specify a 'streampath' config value.

Quote:
We already have a streaming platform in place (uses Flash players). We would like to expand it and offer SHOUTCast 2 for some streams (which our streamers can output) we just miss the directory publishing feature... makes sense?
yeah that makes sense, just seems a bit convoluted but then that's the fun of streaming to anything / everything i guess.

-daz
Old 27th October 2011, 13:54   #13
jlwasmer

thanks for all the help. I'm having an issue when I set dstip: it seems DNAS tries to bind twice on the same port:

2011-10-27 09:49:08 I msg:[MICROSERVER] Listening for connection on port 8000
2011-10-27 09:49:08 I msg:[MICROSERVER] Listening for connection on port 8000

Obviously this fails and DNAS shuts down.

If I remove the dstip setting, it will use 2 consecutive ports (8000 and 8001).
Old 27th October 2011, 13:58   #14
DrO

with the destip value, you've not included the full IP+Port by any chance? since it should just be the IP without anything around it like http:// or :8000.

-daz
Old 27th October 2011, 14:13   #15
jlwasmer

Nope, just an IP address:

destip=208.92.xx.yyy

I comment this out, DNAS uses 2 ports and runs fine.
Old 27th October 2011, 14:15   #16
DrO

dunno then as i've not seen that happen when using destip unless there's something else funky going on with network resolution on the machine being used. not much i can really do.

-daz
Old 27th October 2011, 15:42   #17
jlwasmer

Quote:
dunno then as i've not seen that happen when using destip
So you're saying this works for you? (I'm using version 2.0.0.29)

I was just testing the dstip config and used the IP that DNAS uses when I don't set anything (so the default itf for contacting YP). So I don't think it would have any issue with it (not sure this is relevant but the IP has a reverse DNS name associated to it and it can be resolved locally).

As a workaround, can I disable the 2nd bind? (idk what's is used for)
Old 27th October 2011, 15:57   #18
DrO

i've never seen it double-bind to the same address when using destip and i've used the same external IP as my machine so i'm not sure at the moment. really as this is trying to fiddle things i'm not too keen on putting much work into checking this out when i've other things for the next release which need to be sorted out.

the second bind is used for v1 source connections and with build 29 cannot be disabled - there will be a 'portlegacy' option which allows it to be disabled as /when i finish off the next release.

-daz
Old 28th October 2011, 17:32   #19
DrO

i've found the cause of the double bind - happens when no port is specified with destip in some cases - will look to fix that in the next DNAS release.

-daz
Old 28th October 2011, 19:28   #20
jlwasmer

FYI, it seems the issue is not caused by the v1 bind: on OSX, the double bind doesn't fail (don't ask me why) and you see a 3rd bind on the next port. Seems to me the code binds twice for the v2 protocol: once with no specific ITF and then again for the ITF defined in the config file when it should do one or the other.

On OSX:

2011-10-28 14:51:11 I msg:[MICROSERVER] Listening for connection on port 8000
2011-10-28 14:51:11 I msg:[MICROSERVER] Listening for connection on port 8000
2011-10-28 14:51:11 I msg:[MICROSERVER] Listening for connection on port 8001

what netstat shows:

tcp4 0 0 *.8001 *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 10.100.20.102.8000 *.* LISTEN
tcp4 0 0 *.8000 *.* LISTEN
Old 28th October 2011, 19:30   #21
jlwasmer

Oooops, just saw your reply
Quote:
i've found the cause of the double bind - happens when no port is specified with destip in some cases - will look to fix that in the next DNAS release.-daz
I did try adding the port in the configuration at some point and it seemed to work at first: what actually happened is it would bind to all IPs (as if I had not defined "destip" at all so I figured it could not parse it).
Old 28th October 2011, 20:49   #22
DrO

best to ignore my post, the apparent double-bind is correct (would help if i actually pay attention to the source code) - by changing destip, different handling is done so that sources can still connect on srcip and clients on destip - as otherwise it's all done in one lump. the only valid change would to be amend the log message to better indicate what is being listened for.

e.g. with destip specified:
Quote:
msg:[MICROSERVER] Listening for source connections on port 8000
msg:[MICROSERVER] Listening for client connections on port 8000
msg:[MICROSERVER] Listening for source connections on port 8001
and without destip specified:
Quote:
msg:[MICROSERVER] Listening for source and client connections on port 8000
msg:[MICROSERVER] Listening for source connections on port 8001
and with legacy port disabled (no destip):
Quote:
msg:[MICROSERVER] Listening for source and client connections on port 8000
and with legacy port disabled (with destip):
Quote:
msg:[MICROSERVER] Listening for source connections on port 8000
msg:[MICROSERVER] Listening for client connections on port 8000
-daz
Old 31st October 2011, 13:35   #23
jlwasmer

Thanks: I set "dstip" to my public IP that is on the DMZ and "scrip" to my local IP for my sources and I don't have the double bind error no more.

The only issue is the YP still expects the stream on what it thinks is the DNAS' public IP. In my case, the DNAS uses its local IP (default route) to talk to the YP and this gets NATed to a global IP (where the stream is no available).
Old 31st October 2011, 13:40   #24
DrO

Quote:
Thanks: I set "dstip" to my public IP that is on the DMZ and "scrip" to my local IP for my sources and I don't have the double bind error no more.
it's not an error - had hoped i'd clarified that in my prior reply - it's working as expected when different things are being bound in different stage.

Quote:
The only issue is the YP still expects the stream on what it thinks is the DNAS' public IP. In my case, the DNAS uses its local IP (default route) to talk to the YP and this gets NATed to a global IP (where the stream is no available).
that's because a) all of the YP changes which allow it have been reverted (due to the weekend outage) and b) the current public build of the DNAS doesn't correctly send that information to the YP. so basically until there's a new DNAS and the YP changes are re-deployed / fixed, it's not going to make any use of the 'destip' option.

-daz
Old 31st October 2011, 14:23   #25
jlwasmer

Quote:
it's not an error - had hoped i'd clarified that in my prior reply - it's working as expected when different things are being bound in different stage.
I was referring to the OS error that happens when a process tries to bind to a port that is already used (which was caused by my initial configuration)

Quote:
the current public build of the DNAS doesn't correctly send that information to the YP. so basically until there's a new DNAS and the YP changes are re-deployed / fixed, it's not going to make any use of the 'destip' option.
-daz
Oh, great! (I didn't realize it was a bug)
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions