Old 16th June 2004, 13:08   #1
zman982

Audio Files won't play when double clicked

Tried to do a search for this but with no luck. I thought the problem was similar to those having problems with the 4 sec playing problem, but it wasn't. Went through the thread and read and tried all steps mentioned.

Here's what I'm experiencing. For a about a week now I'm not able to double click an audio file within explorer and play in winamp. These files are mp3's and winamp has been given associating with all the audio files on my computer. I am able though to lanuch audio files within winamp itself.

The lastest thing I've installed on my computer are the lastest SP2 build, currently RC2, which I don't feel is the problem since I've had this problem before the lastest install. The next thing are updates to NAV Pro 2004 and its defintions, Spybot, Adaware def update, and Visual Studio .net.

My computer specs are:
Dell Inspiron 8100
1.13 ghz, 512 mb of ram
geforce 4 440 go 64 mb
ess maestro 3
(All drivers are up to date except the nvidia drivers due to hardware/driver compability problems)

Not sure, but I have an idea of the cause. I might have done something while tweaking the settings in windows. I do have TuneUp Utitilies 2004 and Advance System Optimizer installed and have been tweaking and cleaning my registry. Hopefully someone can determine this.

Thank you in advance.
zman982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2004, 14:52   #2
JonnyMac

Sorry if I missed it, what is your Windows version (Windows XP maybe)? Are you sure this problem occurred prior to installing service pack 2?

What do you mean by won't play. File(s) are not loaded? Files are loaded but won't play? Plays but no sound? Plays and then stops like the "4 second bug"?

Maybe this
1. Winamp > Ctrl+P
2. General Preferences > File Types
3. uncheck 'Enqueue files on double click in Windows Explorer'
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2004, 15:34   #3
culling

I was using the XP Anti spy and was having the same problem, I read your post and reset it and now winamp works fine. I am not sure which setting it was that was making it screw up as i have not had time to mess with it yet, but i will this evening and see if i can come up with an answer.

I am running
win xp home
2200 amd
512 ram
GF 4
Realtec Ac 97 Audio

Thanks for the hint in your post, it helped me figure it out. I did not want to post, because i was sure someone was having this problem as well. But after searching for it, and going through several other posts i was unable to find anything that would help.

I will be working with XPantispy this evening to try and find an answer.

Have a great day.

culling
culling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2004, 16:01   #4
zman982

To clearify my problem, Jonny Mac, here exactly whats happening.

Anytime i double click an audio file in Explorer the cursor for a split sec shows the hourglass then returns to normal. Winamp does not launch at all. The double click methods works with other media players so I'm trying to figure out why Winamp isn't launching and playing the files. I can play audio in Winamp itself by opening the files from the File-> Play File method.

The only reason I mentioned the 4 sec problem was because it was the closest thing I ran across and thought it would help my situation as well.

The the enqueue option you suggested was already unchecked. And to answer your winxp sp2 question, when i updated my comp to WinXP sp2 rc1, Winamp worked fine and has been for over a month and a half now. My problem was occuring for about a week while still in rc1 and on Thurs. 6.17, I installed XP SP2 RC2 and winamp is still behaving the same. Not sure if anyone else is having problems with Winamp and XP SP2.

I've also used hijackthis, ad-adware, spybot and NAV2004 to identify and remove the viruses, worms, and spyware that was present on my computer. Could one of these malicious files corrupt or replace a file necessary for winamp, outside the files included in winamp, to work correctly because I've uninstalled and reinstalled winamp with no change in behavior.
Old 18th June 2004, 17:25   #5
dreadlord5000

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem as zman described. It definitely started only AFTER I installed the WinXP SP2 RC2 yesterday. Before, everything was fine. Now, winamp wont launch on double clicks.

If winamp is already loaded, double clicks work just fine.

Cheers!
dreadlord5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2004, 19:41   #6
JonnyMac

The fact that booth have SP2 and have the same problem doesn't sit too well with me, although it could be something else. As far as I know SP2 for WinXp is still in its unsupported beta stage.

@ zman982
You did say that you uninstalled & reinstalled of Winamp to no avail. Was that a full uninstall/reinstall (aka clean install)?

@ dreadlord5000
Have you tried a full uninstall/reinstall of Winamp?
Old 19th June 2004, 00:38   #7
dreadlord5000

@JonnyMac

Yes, a clean ( and when i say clean, i mean clean ) install off WA didnt help.

And again, i just installed XP SP2 RC2 yesterday, and noticed today that launching WA via double click stopped working. Almost drove me mad. Before installing the SP2 it worked just fine, i was listening to MP3s all the time (via double click in the explorer) , no problem before.

But heh, that's what the SP2 Beta program is for, finding bugs before release i guess

Maybe some WA Developer / Support Staff could try installing SP2 RC2 in order to reproduce the problem?
Old 19th June 2004, 00:38   #8
zman982

Thank you for working with me with this problem JonnyMac.

I am still having problems playing double clicked files from explorer. The first couple of times I uninstalled Winamp via Add/Remove Programs. The 2nd time I uninstalled winamp I did delete the winamp folder in the Program Files folder. I didn't delete the .ini files from the WINDOWS folder so I'll try that.

**UPDATE**

Ok, still no luck either, when I went through to find the .ini files in the WINDOWS folder found and deleted the winamp.ini file but wasn't able to find the winampa.ini file. Not sure how important the winampa.ini is to the process but other than that the clean uninstall/install method did not help.
Old 19th June 2004, 20:16   #9
JonnyMac

Sorry, I am not sure of what else to tell you. However, I do have one suspicion. Do either of you play Gunbound? If so, does this happen when Gunbound is active?....

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=183148
and/or
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=183436

The "symptoms" are different, I'm just sort of wondering.
Old 22nd June 2004, 19:16   #10
dreadlord5000

Hi all,

i found the solution.

You have to have the "DCOM Server Process Launcher" service running.

This service is new with SP2.
I disabled this service during my post-SP2-install-cleanup.

This service seems to be crucial, as i.e. disk defragging, using the disk management in the computer management panel or starting the installation of MSI packages won't work anymore if this service is disabled.

Greetings,
and thx for all your replies.
Old 4th September 2004, 17:34   #11
superking

Yes fantastic it works

You have to have the "DCOM Server Process Launcher" service running.

thanks a lot
bye
superking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2004, 19:19   #12
Kenyon

How do I turn that back on with SP2? I don't know how.
Kenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2004, 09:35   #13
zman982

Kenyon, to turn on the DCOM service you need go to the start menu and go to control panel > administrative tools > services.

When you get to the services window, scroll down until you see DCOM Server Process Launcher, highlight the service and click the underline start where it says "Start the service." This will enable the service and hopefully resolve your winamp problem.
Old 9th September 2004, 12:16   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Also, right-click DCOM Server Process Launcher entry,
select Properties
and change Startup type to "Automatic".
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 07:15   #15
kneejerk

I have read this thread, and I am having the same trouble. When I try to double-click the audio file, it does not play. It goes to as far as opening Winamp program but does not play the selection, nor que's it up.

I have:
  • un-install/re-install Winamp
  • uncheck 'Enqueue files on double click in Windows Explorer' in Winamp
  • Checked 'Folder Options' in Explorer for 'Double-click to open an item' is marked
  • Looked at my 'Mouse Settings' in Control Panel to see if anything I need to address
  • Open Services and found that 'DCOM Server Process Launcher' is set to Automatic
I'm just about to pull my hair not know the fix for this. If I can get some assistance on this, it would be great.

I thank you in advance.
kneejerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2007, 20:53   #16
Finnerup

I'm experiencing the exact same problem as other people in this thread.

I've just downloaded and installed the latest version of Winamp due to the "Security breach! Please update" pop-up Winamp was producing each time I opened it up.

I reinstalled Winamp and now I'm unable to doubleclick files to play them in the application.

As with other people here, I'm able to open MP3s via "Open file.." in Winamp and start them like that (or just using the media library). But doubleclicking will just bring up Winamp - and do nothing more.

Additionally, when I want to play a large .avi-file or the like, and I use "Open file..", then Winamp crashes with a "Send/don't send" microsoft message.

So this has more or less rendered my Winamp useless. I've tried the same as above. DCOM service is running, files need doubleclicking to start, reinstalling Winamp=NOGO, even tried a complete Winamp uninstall and then reinstalled it = still NOGO.

Any good ideas? I suspect it being a bug of sorts with the new version of Winamp, as I've never seen the problem before.

Thanks in advance!
Finnerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2007, 21:44   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=161361#specs

Windows OS?

This maybe?
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=271955
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support