Old 22nd August 2008, 07:20   #1
rfn

Moving Winamp to a new computer

Hi,

My girlfriend is using Winamp for her music collection but she has now gotten a new computer which I need to move Winamp and her music to.

The problem is, that the old computer has the hard drive in two partitions and the music is located on the D drive. The new computer only has one partition and the music will now be located on the C drive, and on another path.

As far as I understand (I'm a iTunes user, and not really experienced with Winamp) there is no connection between "Local files" and the playlists, right? That's odd from my point of view, but that seems like the case.

I have tried to use Media Library Organizer to move the current music collection the C drive and it work just fine. The problem is that it doesn't update the paths in th playlists. Is there any way to fix that?

Regards,
René Frej Nielsen
rfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 08:45   #2
pjn123
Major Dude

1) Copy all the music to what ever folder on the new pc you like
2) Install Winamp
3) Library > Add Media To Library (it might ask this anyway)

Winamp will then search for all the media in the folder(s) you selected.

If you have any Playlists in the library you'll have to save them manually as *.m3u files. You can then open them with notepad and replace all the D:/MyMusic with C:/docs/mymusic ... or what ever your case is.

You dont need to move Winamp... you just install a new one.
Winamp dont move the music to your music folder like iTunes can do.. it leave your music alone like it should. The library is just a quick way to access your music... the library is just a bunch of links to all your files... so the links can just be refreshed on a new install.

If you need the other stuff like ratings, play counts.. then someone else can probably help you.

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Download ClassicPro© ==== cPro Skins ==== ClassicPro© Homepage ==== SC Forums
pjn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 09:19   #3
rfn

Hi,

I had no intention of moving the actual Winamp installation. I'm not that much of a newbie .

I can see that I understood the media library correctly. It's much different compared to how iTunes works, but hey... everybody doesn't like the same things...

We don't need to preserve ratings etc. so I will just do like you described and edit the playlists. It's not the most userfriendly system I must say...
rfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:23   #4
Kn0tte
Major Dude

... I know, therefore I suggested a real backup system a few weeks ago. Something like the WA Installer, where you can choose what to backup etc.. This is what Winamp needs right now.
Btw, how is the backup system for iTunes? :S
Kn0tte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:30   #5
pjn123
Major Dude

iTunes is so user-friendly that its user frustration for me. Winamp can be a little more user-friendly tbo.. but please… don’t cross that that white line where it becomes frustrating to use if you start to know the program.

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Download ClassicPro© ==== cPro Skins ==== ClassicPro© Homepage ==== SC Forums
pjn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion