Old 7th October 2008, 16:35   #1
Blackwolsa

Keyboard play/pause keys

I used to use the play/pause keys etc keys all the time, but a few months ago a got a new keyboard and the those keys only worked when winamp was on top.

Now when I upgraded to the Microsoft sidewinder X6, I cannot use them at all with winamp since they just don't want to work. Anything I can do to make them work?
Blackwolsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 17:08   #2
JonnyMac

Is 'Enable default multimedia key support' and/or 'Enabled' checkmarked as shown in Nunzio390's screenshot?

Winamp > Ctrl+P (for Preferences) > General Preferences > Global Hotkeys

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 18:15   #3
Blackwolsa

Works now while its the active window, but still doesn't work when minimized.
Old 8th October 2008, 20:16   #4
JonnyMac

This may seem counter-intuitive, however try removing the MM keys (play, pause, next, etc.) from the Action list in Winamp's Global Hotkey options. There have been several users who have mentioned this works. Apparently there is some sort of quirk with the IntelliType software causing a issue with Winamp's hotkey support.
Old 9th October 2008, 17:52   #5
Blackwolsa

I just did that now they wont work at all. And yes I said restore default keys. They still work in WMP thou.

Any other ideas?
Old 9th October 2008, 18:16   #6
JonnyMac

Have your tried updating IntelliType? Even though your keyboard is "out of the box" that doesn't always mean the drivers are the latest.

Or, this may bee a bit drastic, try downgrading IntelliType as described by DJ Egg in this post. However, that may remove some the features of the keyboard.
Old 9th October 2008, 21:23   #7
Blackwolsa

I got the latest IntelliType drivers I know of. Will go and check thou. Downgrading wont work thou because earlier version wont support the X6, its brand new on the market.

PS. Just checked I do have the latest version.
Old 14th October 2008, 06:53   #8
KClaisse

This is a quite annoying problem I have just encountered today after buying the X6. Only works with winamp window active. Latest drivers, tried messing with all the different setting in winamp and the IntelliType software.
KClaisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 02:06   #9
darkowl9

I've got a similar issue with 5.541 (have had it since 5.31 actually).

I used to use the DIMIN Hotkey plugin which worked a treat. However, it broke sometime around Winamp 5.31.

The new gen_hotkeys which replaces it is a bit of a pain. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (and oddly with either the global hotkeys checked or unchecked, doesn't make a difference). I'm using a current Microsoft Digital Media Pro keyboard, IntelliPoint 6.1. I'm going to try updating to 6.3 to see if that makes a difference. [edit: nope!]

The main issue I have is that the play / pause button is unreliable:

* If I start the song with it, it will pause properly for the most part, although sometimes if the song has been playing uninterrupted for a while, it'll restart the song when I press play / pause.

* If I click the play button in the skin with the mouse, the play / pause button will start playing the song from the start instead of pausing.

* If I use the keys, then hover over the skin, then when it fades out again to transparent, the play / pause button seems to reset the song (again).

* Any of the hotkeys (play / pause, stop, next, prev) only work if the mouse is *not* over the main Winamp skin. If the mouse is hovered over the skin, even if it doesn't have "focus", the keys won't respond. I do use modern skin fading, if that's any help.

So it works, but it's very inconsistent. Any ideas?
darkowl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 11:59   #10
KClaisse

Fixed it. Some more research showed that this is a known problem with the more modern skins. It should work if you change the skin to classic. Anywho, to get this to work with the more modern skins download and extract these 4 files to a folder:

http://forums.winamp.com/attachment.php?postid=1203075

Then just assign each of your media keys to the respective program.

The attachment is from this post:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?postid=1196398#post1196398

This is what my keyboard options looks like after the changes:

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/3282/winampprogkbhotkeyth1.jpg

Hope this helps you all!
KClaisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 23:50   #11
darkowl9

Hmm... an impressive solution, though I'd certainly be much happier if it was possible just to fix the issue within Winamp itself - evidently the keys do / can work, just the implementation is unreliable (as I wrote above), play / pause especially. Surely it should just check the logic of "if it's playing, pause it, if it's paused, play it"? So I'm not sure how it chooses to restart a song from time to time.

Also, Dimin's hotkeys used to work perfectly, so it is possible to have the keys work perfectly.

Maybe I should just downgrade to 5.3, which was the last version that worked with Dimin's hotkeys?
darkowl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support