Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 25th May 2000, 08:48   #1
cas

When i start winwmp everything is fine... but when i push the play button i get an error that says 'Could not create Directsound object' and thats it... i push 'ok' and it doesn't play...
will someone help me? please?
Old 25th May 2000, 15:30   #2
aaron

hi cas,
your soundcard does probably not support directsound. actually, it is reccommended to use waveout, not directsound. to do that, open options->preferences->plugins->output and select "nullsoft waveout". then, click play again. it should work.

aaron
aisotton@inwind.it
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2000, 04:37   #3
cas

hey thanks aaron, but i tried that and then i get a error that says 'a device has been used that is out of range for your system'.
hmmm... is it because i'm running win 2000?
Old 26th May 2000, 08:13   #4
Mr. Ice
Captain Moderator

the only reason win2000 would cause this problem is if you didn't install the drivers for your soundcard. the drivers that come with 2000 let your soundcard play, but not very well.
Mr. Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2000, 17:18   #5
poetbn

I do not run win2000 and am getting the same message about the device ID being out-of-range for my system. I do not have a sound card on my system; however, I am able to listen to other CDs through my headphones.
What do I need to do so I can listen to MP3 files with my headphones?
Old 26th May 2000, 17:29   #6
gandalf
Moderator Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to gandalf
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by poetbn:
I do not run win2000 and am getting the same message about the device ID being out-of-range for my system. I do not have a sound card on my system; however, I am able to listen to other CDs through my headphones.
What do I need to do so I can listen to MP3 files with my headphones?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, no way whatsoever (Unless you get a CD-recorder, and record the MP3s as CD-Audio that is )

gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2000, 06:16   #7
cas

i did try to load my sound card but wouldn't just go on. when i went to add new hardware and tryed to install the driver, it just say it couldn't find what it was looking for. i'm getting tired of this

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Ice:
the only reason win2000 would cause this problem is if you didn't install the drivers for your soundcard. the drivers that come with 2000 let your soundcard play, but not very well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 27th May 2000, 10:55   #8
Mr. Ice
Captain Moderator

you might be able to get around not installing the drivers, but it's a long shot. go to preferences -- plug-ins -- output. select the waveout plugin. double click it, and set the output device to what best describes your sound card. for example, i have wave mapper, modem #1 line playback, modem #1 handset playback, and sb live! wave device listed. the default is the wave mapper. my sound card is a sound blaster live, so i selected sb live! wave device.

if that doesn't work, you'll have to install the drivers for your card. win2000's generic support is minimal at best, and you're getting a glimpse of that first hand.
Mr. Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support