Old 4th October 2009, 06:16   #1
NijimaSan

Pickup where you left off on a podcast?

I've recently made Winamp my RSS/podcast aggregator.

I used to use iTunes and the ONE thing I miss is that iTunes would remember where I stopped and would pick up in the last place where I stopped.

Does Winamp have such a feature?
NijimaSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 14:16   #2
osmosis
Major Dude

Via plugin. Joonas' Drag n' Drop has an option in Extensions to add time saving to Winamp's Bookmark functionality, however, you will also need to get DrO's Bookmark Categorizer plugin due to the workaround he implemented for a bug in Drag n' Drop ("Implemented a workaround for a bug in gen_dragndrop.dll breaking Winamp's bookmark handling (add bk_dnd_hack=1 in the plugin's section in your winamp.ini if experiencing the issue)")

Your other option is to switch to a Winamp classicPro (or cPro) skin, since there is a widget for time bookmarking included or downloadable with that.

Request: A little SmartView Query Language love.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 15:07   #3
RockyRacoon

Quote:
Originally posted by osmosis
Via plugin. Joonas' Drag n' Drop has an option in Extensions to add time saving to Winamp's Bookmark functionality, however, you will also need to get DrO's Bookmark Categorizer plugin due to the workaround he implemented for a bug in Drag n' Drop ("Implemented a workaround for a bug in gen_dragndrop.dll breaking Winamp's bookmark handling (add bk_dnd_hack=1 in the plugin's section in your winamp.ini if experiencing the issue)")

Your other option is to switch to a Winamp classicPro (or cPro) skin, since there is a widget for time bookmarking included or downloadable with that.
I'd go with option #2. Very slick and easy I.
RockyRacoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 13:52   #4
rick7

Hi NijimaSan -- I really like Winamp but I agree that this "restore last position" is one feature that makes iTunes superior to Winamp for podcasting. Like you, I would love to see this working. Joonas has confirmed in another thread that for now it doesn't work but that he'll be looking at it.

This evening when I get home I'm going to try the ClassicPro skin. Have you had any luck with it?
rick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 12:13   #5
rick7

Just wanted to mention that the Chapterlist widget with the ClassicPro skin has been working great for me for doing this. I really recommend it to anyone who wants to pick up on a podcast (or any media file) where they left off.

One thing to note is that it only works on downloaded podcasts, so if you don't normally download your podcasts and just listen off the server, you have to change your habits a bit. It's different from how iTunes does a 'restore last listening point' by internally remembering it without your having to do anything. With Winamp and Chapterlist you the user have to manually create a 'Chapter' before you leave the file, but it's just a matter of remembering to do it before you go somewhere else.

Would like to hear from anyone else who's using this.
Old 8th November 2009, 19:13   #6
joebloggscity

hi

i use both, but i hate it that Wimamp doesn't remember where i last left the file but have to manually bookmark it. Taht's very frustrating esp if you accidentally exit a podcast.

An automatic one would be excellent. I've had it on my two year old Nokia as standard, i just don't get why winamp haven't built in as a standard.

I love Winamp and the above would be a simple and easy but great addition that would help the bulk of us, esp as podcasts are becoming more and more important.
joebloggscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 16:13   #7
rick7

Right--I totally agree. I think the situation is that the 'official' Winamp developers (AOL employees?) appear to pay virtually no attention to the podcast feature of Winamp. Even though it's still very buggy--I'm using a modified version of one of the core DLLs that was done for me by one of our forum users to fix one of the problems--they have made no effort to fix the bugs, much less add new functionality like 'automatically remember last position'.

I think if it's going to be done it has to be done by one of us, and I have no skills in this area.

With the added functionality given by user-created plugins (Jump to Time and Repeater) I really like the way Winamp handles podcasts. But I think I'm in a minority in the podcast world. I switched over from iTunes a year ago, but I'm guessing most podcast listeners use iTunes.

Until the AOL Winamp development team wakes up to podcasting, I think we're on our own.

Last edited by rick7; 9th November 2009 at 18:09.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion