Old 7th August 2013, 12:55   #1
please55

Edit Saved Playlist While Playing Songs from Library

Hi.

I sincerely hope I can do the following in winamp because I don't want to resort to using iTunes.

Essentially I want to keep my playlist editor fixed on one saved playlist and be able to scroll through my main library playing different songs and then dragging the one's I like into the playlist.

Instead right now whenever I play something from the main library it automatically changes the playist editor to what's currently playing, making editing on the go way too much of a hassle.

This is possible in the new iTunes, where you can keep playing songs from your library but have a panel dedicated to editing a playlist as you go.

Is it even possible to switch from a plain "list" in the playlist editor to something more visual that include album art?

Thanks for the help.
please55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 17:53   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi please55,

What versions of Winamp and Windows are you using? There is an option to disable the auto-scrolling in the playlist editor. But it is not working in the latest beta version that I'm using. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next release or two.

The playlist editor only provides a list of what has or will be played (and ways to control the listing and playback). By default, it only provides the minimum necessary for this purpose. A plain list, as you say. It is possible to change the text (from metadata tags) displayed on each line by using the advanced title formatting (ATF) options in the General Preferences "Titles" options.

The media library views provide for presenting your music in more visually appealing ways. Winamp's 'smart view' feature lets you create a great deal of variety in how your songs are sorted and presented. The library views you see are the default smart views that are provided in the installation package.

This is a very powerful feature. Play around with it, to see what you can come up with. Right click on any of the views listed in the panel on the left and select "Edit View...". This opens a dialog that gives you a starting point for creating your own views. If you change anything, save the view with a new name (to preserve the default).

You can change the order in which the views are listed in the left-hand panel by dragging them into the positions you want.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 19:36   #3
please55

Thanks Aminifu. Using Winamp 5.65. Changing the view of the editor is low priority, pie in the sky wish at the moment.

Thanks for the tips. If the playlist editor can only show what's playing/has been queued up then doesn't sound like I can do what I have in mind.

This is what it looks like in itunes:

Notice you can keep looking at the library in your main window and playing songs as usual while on the right you have your playlist open that you can drag and drop songs into and keep rearranging as you go without what you're currently playing disrupting that view.
Old 7th August 2013, 21:58   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Nice picture.

The Bento skins (user interfaces) provided in the Winamp installation package can be modified to look similar.

The panel show on the right is not the same as the Winamp playlist editor panel. It looks more like an independent playlist (judging by what is shown playing and the listing). The playlist editor panel in Bento can be collapsed (to use less space) or closed.

Separate playlists can be created in Winamp and worked on without affecting the playlist editor's listing, but they are single line (like the listing in the playlist editor).

The default 3 panel media library view can be changed to a single panel album art view. The view selector panel on the left in Bento can be closed.

Even more interesting is that there are hundreds of skins that have been created for Winamp, that present the basic panels in different ways. Modern skins are all-in-one arrangements, showing all the panels within 1 overall window. Classic skins provide each panel in a separate window. Each window can be placed where you want or closed when not needed.

There are also dozens of plug-ins. It would not surprise me if there is one or more that could present a multi-line playlist like what is shown in your screenshot, including the artwork. But so many images of the same thing would be redundant, imo.

I can understand being familiar with a particular presentation of info in another app and wanting the same or similar. Winamp can provide that and so much more. But it takes you doing the work to set it up. It's not hard to learn and can be fun creating your own unique user interface(s) tailored to just listening to music or managing your music or doing both at the same time.

Old 8th August 2013, 01:29   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi please55,

The option to disable/enable auto-scrolling the current file into view in the playlist editor panel/window may only be broken in my Winamp configuration. I use a lot of 3rd party plug-ins which may be interfering with things. The option is in the General Preferences - Jump to File - Extras options, if you want to try it on your configuration.

A quick search turned up the skin linked to below. A little adjusting of the default panel views and it can get very close in appearance to your screenshot of iTunes. Of course, it will not work the same as iTunes (it's still Winamp in sheep's clothing).

http://www.winamp.com/skin/tewnz-2-0/221914

Old 8th August 2013, 12:16   #6
please55

By the way thanks for answering what might otherwise be mundane ui questions.

Quote:
Separate playlists can be created in Winamp and worked on without affecting the playlist editor's listing, but they are single line (like the listing in the playlist editor).
Do you mean the playlists listed on the left column in the pictures below?

Thanks for the options you gave. I'm not too concerned about recreating look of iTunes, just altering the playlist editor behavior. I think you've understood what I described but just to be clear...

Notice I have the playlist "Maya" opened up in the playlist editor on the right with my main library in the middle.

Here's what happens when I try to play an album...Double clicking on the album clears out the loaded playlist and dumps in the album's tracks. I'd like to keep the editor fixed on the previous playlist. This would allow me to keep playing songs from my library and as I listen to them drag and drop songs into the "Maya" playlist and re-arrange them as I go.
Old 8th August 2013, 16:47   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Ok, you want to play 1 playlist while working on another playlist that you have made (or want to make) and be able to see the contents of your library and the contents of the playlist you're working on at the same time.

By default, this is not possible. There may be plug-ins that allow this, but I don't know of any.

The playlist editor only lists what is playing or queued to play, so for your purposes it has a misleading name. Maybe 'active playlist editor' would be more accurate.

It is possible to look through your library and add songs to the active playlist (that you see in the playlist editor panel) and it is also possible add songs to 1 or more other inactive playlists (that you can not see the contents of at the same time you're adding songs to them).

Before or after adding songs, you can switch the view to any 1 of the other inactive playlists (by clicking on it's name in the list in the left-hand panel). This inactive playlist view lets you see the contents of the listing (1 line per song & no album art), change the order of the listing, add songs from it to the active playlist or to another inactive playlist, have it replace the active playlist, etc.

So, you can do what you want and more. But, not in the way you could with iTunes. It requires switching views back and forth. From the media library views, you right click on a song or on a selection of songs and use the "Send to:" context menu command to add them to a "Library Playlist". Then you get a dialog giving you the option of choosing an existing inactive playlist or creating a new one to add the songs to. After adding all the songs you want (or in between adding songs) to an inactive playlist, switch the library view to the inactive playlist view and make any adjustments to the inactive playlist as needed.

You can also drag & drop songs from the media library tracks panel to the name of an existing inactive playlist in the left-hand view selection panel. They will be added to the end of that playlist's prior listing.

Old 10th August 2013, 03:30   #8
please55

Again, thanks for the help Aminifu. I'll still poke around with plugins in case there's something like that out there.
Old 10th August 2013, 14:43   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

np, and what I should have said at the start, Welcome to the forums. Don't hesitate to ask questions (include details). There are several people around willing to help.

Give Winamp a fair chance. I think it will grow on ya. Good luck!

Old 15th November 2013, 14:34   #10
ecgmetal

- please55

I totally agree about the "problem" - it would be nice to be able to work on a playlist while listening to different songs from the library, without having the playlist suddenly changed to something else because of it. And then drag the song to where you want it in the playlist.

Maybe the solution could be a setting in the preferences that changed this connection between the playlist and search results from the media library ect., when you click on them. Or perhaps the ability to have 2 playlists open simultaneously?
ecgmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 15:13   #11
DrO

you can just include it as a library playlist (via the import option and set it to use the original playlist instead of the Winamp managed copy) and use the library playlist editor view to make the edits and save back without having to touch the main playlist editor queue (which has been detailed why it acts the way it does earlier in this thread). you can also drag or use the send to action in the other library views to get the items into the required library playlist.

so if i've understood things, then what is wanted can be achieved with v5.65 as long as you don't double-click thing and use the drag+drop or send-to options to a specific playlist.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 15:14   #12
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecgmetal View Post
Maybe the solution could be a setting in the preferences that changed this connection between the playlist and search results from the media library ect., when you click on them. Or perhaps the ability to have 2 playlists open simultaneously?
Other players have this ability. "AIMP3" comes to mind. A lot of things would have to be changed to allow Winamp to do this. The current level of resources AOL allocates to Winamp development prevents these changes from being made.

Similar suggestions have been made in the Winamp Wishlist forum. As far as AOL management is concerned, such requests have not reached the 'critical mass' level.

Old 22nd November 2013, 19:55   #13

please55, use ENQUEUE as the ONLY default action, be it from the library or from windows explorer. also, find the option that disables the playlist editor from scrolling the current entry into view (you can always scroll to it by pressing SPACE).
that way you can simply go thru files in the library or win explorer, keep pressing ENTER or double clicking, nothing will change but the files will pile up at the bottom of the playlist editor.

as i pointed out before, an option for multiple instances of playlist editor with playable entries would be mucho nice but now i guess the idea is moot.
956400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion