Old 11th May 2010, 18:34   #1
Icarus Finch

Winamp Browser

I just wanted to ask the Winamp community about the built in browser real quick if you don't mind.

I love Winamp; so much to the point of keeping it up all the time, plays all my music, videos, and on most occasions I use it for my primary web browser. I know most wouldn't do the last part, but I like it.

A couple things I'd like to ask:

1) Is it not possible to view YOUTUBE videos in the browser? I try and it tells me I have to install Adobe's plugin, but I already have it as I can view it just fine in my Chrome browser.

2) Is there a way to make sure if a link opens an external browser, that I can make it open Chrome and for the love of pete, NOT INTERNET EXPLORER?

All in all, I'd really like if Winamp became like the first all in one player/browser experience. I know most would totally disagree and that's fine, but for me, keeping my music player/webradio open, video at any time, and then my browser all within a simple window makes me glow, even if it's not very practical sounding.

Keep up the fine work, Winamp.
Icarus Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 22:40   #2
Icarus Finch

Just wondering if a MOD or someone experienced with WINAMP can give me an answer to those two questions, or at least say no. I'll gladly go away after that.

Thanks.
Old 13th May 2010, 07:57   #3
DrO

#1 - is probably due to restrictions imposed on the embedded IE control used by Winamp preventing certain things from being run (though not 100% about that but is all i can think off which what i remember of how use of the embedded control was initially done).

#2 - only way is to not use a skin with the browser in it ie a classic skin. as for not using IE, it's been talked about many times and if there was a simple way to use a different embedded control gecko/webkit) without all the fun of having to install extra things and massive variation in apis then it would have been done. also the IE control is generally guaranteed to be on a machine (apart from when people forceably remove it from the system) which saves on addtionally unnecessary code/handling.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 18:43   #4
Icarus Finch

Thanks for the reply. It makes sense. I was just hoping for better news.

My last question would be dealing with the fact I had to reformat last night and upon reinstalling WINAMP, everytime I open a new bookmark or a new music link, it opens a new instance of WINAMP, whereas before, it was using the same instance that was already running.

How come it would be opening a new instance now instead of using the one already playing? Any ideas?

Thanks-
IF
Old 13th May 2010, 20:54   #5
DrO

it sounds like 'Allow multiple instances' on the general preferences page has been enabled somehow.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 01:16   #6
Icarus Finch

Thanks. I had looked at that first off and it has not been checked. I'm thinking perhaps when I clicked a link from SOMAFM, maybe I was already opening another instance by mistake. Not sure. However, it isn't doing it anymore so I'm sure it was my fault.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support